Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-24-08, 04:06 AM   #13
Mr.A

Default Re: kernel based modesetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning Rogge
If Nvidia gets lucky, the Nouveau driver will be good enough to replace the Nvidia binary driver in a year or two... we still have no support for the recent card generation, but at least there will be hope.

If not AMD/ATI and Intel will grab the market share of Nvidia for the linux market.

The recent driver discussions and comments like "we don't plan to support feature X for anything else than Windows" from Nvidia are the reasons I still work with my 7900GS... I got a larger monitor and some of my games are not as "smooth" as before, but at the moment it seems to be a bad decission to buy a new nvidia card for linux users...

Just my 2 cents.
Everything you say is true. That is the reason why I bought a low budget nvidia card so that I can switch to another solution without loosing to much money.

Regards
Mr. A
Mr.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-08, 04:09 AM   #14
gbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.A
I don't think linux market share is as small as everybody says.
It is hard to measure how big the market share really is.
If I take a look at MacOS, the market share isn't really big compared to WinXP.

But one thing I know for sure, proprietary drivers don't help to spread linux, quite the reverse.

regards
Mr. A
You miss the point, it's not how big the linux market is, but if it's big enough to make NVidia change how it makes drivers for all markets! And as you can understand, it's definitely not so big.
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-08, 12:01 PM   #15
Henning Rogge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbil
You miss the point, it's not how big the linux market is, but if it's big enough to make NVidia change how it makes drivers for all markets! And as you can understand, it's definitely not so big.
I'm sure Nvidia would like to get a good part of the office computer market. But if nvidia will stay with the "binary blob, cannot be integrated" strategy Intel and AMD/ATI will have a much higher chance to sell their stuff. Because today "fully compatible with out of the box linux" is a selling argument, even if a company does not know if they need Linux at once.

Let's just wait 12 months... within this time Intel and AMD should finish their OS drivers and the integration of kernel based modesetting and DRI2/TTM, maybe even Galium3D...

the really ugly fact is that Nvidia does not WANT to support an OS driver. Okay, I'm pretty sure they cannot just publish their old driver (most likely because they bought some software parts), but they easily could publish a documentation about the hardware registers of their cards... that's everything the OS community would need to write a good driver, but they don't WANT to do this.
Henning Rogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-08, 12:10 PM   #16
ledoc

Also, quite disappointing to see that for windows there is a 175.16 already while linuxers are dead in the water with some old beta: Didn't I read somewhere that the drivers for windows and linux supposedly share the same code basis??
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-08, 02:39 PM   #17
Kirurgs

Please, don't ruin thread about complaining about betas. If driver is not stable or what, it won't be released. Easy. Everyone request features and bug fixes but are so impatient to wait them to be integrated. I hope I'm right
Kirurgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 07:44 PM   #18
Fenix

Sad NV News. This will make me drop my customership after years of using Nvidia Cards.
Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 08:41 PM   #19
clarious

While currently Nvidia is the most closed one, compare to Intel or AMD. I still think their driver is the best, albeit closed. AMD's propretiary driver is just plain suck, and they don't want to change that, its open source one is better, but don't have all the features yet. Intel seems to be better here, but I still encounter random crashing, and its performance is much worse than AMD or Nvidia.

So while having a binary blob in my kernel is not something I like to, I'm not regret that I have chosen an Nvidia card, and I will continue to buy from them for at least the next 3 years.

Just my 2 cent.
clarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 12:31 PM   #20
Muzer

I currently use NVIDIA graphics cards because their drivers are the best. However, the best here doesn't mean much due to the closed nature of graphics card drivers on Linux up until recently. Since everyone can contribute, it's only a matter of time before ATi or Intel cards can compete. I really would like modesetting to be implemented, but if it's impossible because you refuse to GPL your code, that's not my loss.
Muzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-09, 03:09 AM   #21
Stendall

The Nvidia card inside this laptop it's the third I have, and the last.
Every day I see how I have less support, worse performance, and so on.
And always it's the world against Nvidia, never it's his fault.
No matter if other brands, are more fast in 2D, there are no tearing, or have support for more extensions. Never, it's Nvidia faults, ever.
I'm tired. In the past I've purchased Nvidia cards that costs more than a full PC, nevermore.
When I see KDE4 Plasma running in the PC of my wife (of flash pluging), with a 20 bucks Intel graphics card (almost same hardware), for moments want to take my Nvidia and throw trough the window.
So bad I'm in a first floor and have a laptop.
Stendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 03:48 AM   #22
tier

I've only had problems with ATI cards. I've encountered many many instabillities with my intel chip and kms. I've had a perfectly stable system with the nvidia driver for some years now. Could be faster in some things, but it's getting better and better.Phoronix published an interview some days ago with the lead linux developer of nvidia and he shared interesting details, so read it if you want to know more,

If I want kms I use nouveau on my G84 and it works like a charm without glitches and very high performance. In the long term it will completely replace the nvidia driver here, but this is still a long road to go since I need 3D from time to time.

So please stop offtopic stuff, kms for nvidia might come but it's prettly low prioritiy.
tier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 04:41 AM   #23
Stendall

My first graphics card was a Trident 9440.
I have 40 years now, and since the Trident, I've owned a lot of graphics cards.
When I'm saying that I've already purchased my last Nvidia, in any way it's a judgement based on the support or performance of one or two Nvidia cards.
Stendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 09:10 AM   #24
queen6

On a desktop market nVidia lots market share to Intel ages ago - so they gave up here. They focus on performance market - Gaming and Workstations.

nVidia doesn't really give a crap about desktop users on Linux - because it's not where the real money is. Linux is important for nVidia strategy but only as long as it generates profit. So lucrative market - workstations - was obvious choice, where you need good OpenGL support (starting from ancient 1.0 to 3.2). There's lots of press coverage all over the internet about nVidia's strategy (interesting interview http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...qa_linux&num=1)

So don't keep your hopes up. Currently nVidia provides decent quality linux drivers, so all we can do is to be happy at least something works, rather then demand standard features present in other drivers.

nVidia works in best self interest - not it's clients. After all - it's all about the money.

Lots of people are dissatisfied with support, features, you can find lots of negative posts where people say "it's my last nVidia card". Take it or leave it - you need to realize - they really don't care.
queen6 is offline   Reply With Quote