Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-10-09, 04:14 PM   #1
Gusar

Default Can't set PowerMizer level via RegistryDwords on drivers newer than 180.60

Yeah, another PowerMizer rant...

With all drivers up to and inclusive 180.60, I had this in xorg.conf:
Code:
Option "RegistryDwords" "PerfLevelSrc=0x2222; PowerMizerLevelAC=0x3; PowerMizerLevel=0x3"
to force the graphic card (Geforce Go 6600) into the lowest performance mode. With drivers newer than 180.60, this option doesn't work anymore and the card goes into PerfLevel 2 (the highest) as soon as X starts.

The reason this is an issue is that the graphic card is broken. If X even starts properly (mostly I get a black screen or some vertical lines), very soon the picture turns into this: http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8833/screenshot01l.png and usually X then locks up. Forcing the card into the lowest performance level would make things work.
Why this is an issue even further is that the 180.60 driver doesn't compile with 2.6.31 kernel, so I'm stuck at 2.6.30 forever.

I tried settings RegistryDwords by passing it to the kernel module instead of specifying it in xorg.conf. Works with 180.60, doesn't work with newer drivers.

My question is: Why was the ability to set the PerfLevel via the RegistryDwords option removed? Is there any other way to set it?
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 08:16 PM   #2
mdflynn

Default Re: Can't set PowerMizer level via RegistryDwords on drivers newer than 180.60

I've also experienced the same problem, exactly as you described, Cannot set the powermizer level at all through the xorg.conf or through the module settings. I am going to revert back to 180.xx to see if that gets the functionality back.

I don't have any of the problems like you describe like X crashing and such but I like being able to turn down the GPU permanently so the laptop doesn't get so hot when all it is doing is doing some compiz effects.

Any news of whether this is fixed yet?
mdflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 10:38 PM   #3
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Can't set PowerMizer level via RegistryDwords on drivers newer than 180.60

Setting options through RegistryDwords was never a supported way to change the PowerMizer configuration. There are currently problems with forcing the minimum performance level, which is why that option is not yet available through the nvidia-settings PowerMizer setting dropdown.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote