Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-20-09, 03:52 AM   #1
alanw

Lightbulb HDMI audio on brand new Nvidia G210 and GT220 models (half success so far)

Hi everyone.

I thought i open up a new thread about this.

I need a little help to get hdmi audio on the new nvidia G210, GT220 cards.

With latest Alsa drivers the audio device of the card is not shown at all, but i was able to patch alsa-driver code to recognize the G210 card's HDMI audio device. It was not easy. I had to boot into Win7 to do it

In Win7 i got 4 (!!!) different hdmi device in the device manager. All 4 devices had the following hardware id:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_10DE&CTLR_DEV_0BE3&VEN_10 DE&DEV_000B&REV_1001

With this information i made a patch to yesterday's alsa-driver snapshot to enable these HDA and nvidia hw vendor and device ids.I attached the patch.

Now it is showing as card 0, device 3 hdmi device just like MCP7A ones on the motherboards.

The difference is that alsamixer is showing 4 different pcm devices (like in Win7) Maybe it has some hardware mixing capability ?

the main problem is that i can not get audio to sound.

speaker test -Dhw:0,3 -c2

work, but receiver does not give any sound.

Anyone form nvidia can you help to get this working ?
Attached Files
File Type: txt g210_patch.txt (3.9 KB, 701 views)
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 05:20 PM   #2
global

Default Re: HDMI audio on brand new Nvidia G210 and GT220 models (half success so far)

Hi alanw, same issue reported with GT240M, check this post: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=139657
global is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 06:44 PM   #3
alanw

Default Re: HDMI audio on brand new Nvidia G210 and GT220 models (half success so far)

Quote:
Originally Posted by global View Post
Hi alanw, same issue reported with GT240M, check this post: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=139657
I think we need help from nvidia about these four devices should work.
Old 11-04-09, 09:02 PM   #4
michald

Any progress on this at all? I'm thinking of putting my 8600GS back in my HTPC until this can be resolved.
michald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 05:11 AM   #5
alanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by michald View Post
Any progress on this at all? I'm thinking of putting my 8600GS back in my HTPC until this can be resolved.
Unfortunately i have not got any help eighter from Alsa devs nor nvidia devs in this matter.
Old 11-05-09, 02:33 PM   #6
dougdeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
:

In Win7 i got 4 (!!!) different hdmi device in the device manager. All 4 devices had the following hardware id:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_10DE&CTLR_DEV_0BE3&VEN_10 DE&DEV_000B&REV_1001
I think you could have use lspci with various options in Linux to retrieve all your Vendor, Device, and subdevice ids. Give that a shot.
dougdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 07:13 PM   #7
alanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdeep View Post
I think you could have use lspci with various options in Linux to retrieve all your Vendor, Device, and subdevice ids. Give that a shot.
I solved the hw/vendor id thing. Now it is showing when aplay -l but it has 4 different pcm devices with none of them giving any sound.
Old 11-19-09, 06:37 PM   #8
ysammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I solved the hw/vendor id thing. Now it is showing when aplay -l but it has 4 different pcm devices with none of them giving any sound.
How did you solve this?
ysammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-09, 06:42 PM   #9
michald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysammy View Post
How did you solve this?
Don't worry about it. It didn't actually help to get any sound out of the card.

Neither the Nvidia developers or the Alsa developers have made ANY comment as to G210/G220 audio support under Linux as far as I'm aware.

I stopped holding my breath and went back to a 8600GS with HDMI audio pass-through.
michald is offline   Reply With Quote