Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-20-09, 11:21 AM   #25
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Trying Windows 7 Media Center . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by |JuiceZ| View Post
six_storm let me know how it goes with Boxee. I've been running XBMC Linux for a year and half and just built a dedicated ION N330 box for it earlier this year. It's been very easy for me to manage from my MBP via SSH & terminal. Also run a usenet client on the box that automatically sorts my shows and updates the XBMC library whenever something downloads among other things. Currently switching between the AEON ShowMix & Alaska (night textures) skins. XBMC live also comes with LIRC already configured for MCE remote which can be emulated with Harmony One. The box is connected via HDMI for audio/video to an HK receiver and output to Pioneer KURO. Thinking about upgrading my receiver to either a HK3600 or Denon 2310ci for Dolby volume.
Will do. Boxee is basically a fork of XBMC, so you know how well it will run. I guess what makes it nice is the web apps and the social networking aspect of it. I like to see what my friends watch, listen to, etc.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 01:21 PM   #26
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Will do. Boxee is basically a fork of XBMC, so you know how well it will run. I guess what makes it nice is the web apps and the social networking aspect of it. I like to see what my friends watch, listen to, etc.
Same here. Have you heard about the "Boxee Box" coming next year? It should be the first of many.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 02:05 PM   #27
six_storm

Quote:
Same here. Have you heard about the "Boxee Box" coming next year? It should be the first of many.
Yeah, it looks awesome. I'll have to see what hardware it sports but I may be putting a small box together for my bedroom; I'll stream my media in there too!
Old 11-20-09, 08:18 PM   #28
einstein_314
w00t!!

Quote:
I have all of my media stored on my main workstation and have mapped network drives on the HTPC. Metabrowser is running on the HTPC.

I did notice that Metabrowser finally started automatically downloading the metadata, but it's still not showing up right in WMC.

Boxee is still rocking and rolling, so I may stick with it. One thing I forgot about was the simple fact that it can run ISOs in a single click without installing DeamonTools for MediaBrowser.

I still haven't configured my Harmony remote but it's on the list of things to do.

Also, I'm replacing my 720P 32" Westinghouse with a 1080P 40" Sony Bravia tomorrow night
Okay, you do realize that MetaBrowser won't automatically download metadata for stuff you already have. You need to do a manual "process all movies" to get the metadata for stuff you already have. You will then be greeted with a screen to confirm that the right movies are being detected (and you can change which one it should be there too), then you click "process" and it gets everything it can.

Then if you setup folder watching, it will automatically download the metadata for anything you add to the folder that's being watched.

When you say it's "still not showing up right in WMC" do you mean in MediaBrowser? Because Media Center won't recognize the metadata.....So, is anything showing up in mediaBrowser? Or only parts of the metadata? Have you tried clearing the cache? (either from the options page, or manually by deleting "c:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\Cache").

It should really just work...
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-09, 12:02 AM   #29
mullet

Quote:
That's slick dude. I was just in Louisville that place is crazy.
Old 11-22-09, 12:41 PM   #30
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314 View Post
Okay, you do realize that MetaBrowser won't automatically download metadata for stuff you already have. You need to do a manual "process all movies" to get the metadata for stuff you already have. You will then be greeted with a screen to confirm that the right movies are being detected (and you can change which one it should be there too), then you click "process" and it gets everything it can.

Then if you setup folder watching, it will automatically download the metadata for anything you add to the folder that's being watched.

When you say it's "still not showing up right in WMC" do you mean in MediaBrowser? Because Media Center won't recognize the metadata.....So, is anything showing up in mediaBrowser? Or only parts of the metadata? Have you tried clearing the cache? (either from the options page, or manually by deleting "c:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\Cache").

It should really just work...
Whether I did everything manually or just did folder watching, it would not download random things. And yes, my folder/filename structure is all the same. I made sure.
Old 11-23-09, 11:55 AM   #31
einstein_314
w00t!!

Quote:
Whether I did everything manually or just did folder watching, it would not download random things. And yes, my folder/filename structure is all the same. I made sure.
Hmm, by "random things" you mean like sometimes it wouldn't get a backdrop, or sometimes it wouldn't get covers, or sometimes metadata? Have you checked to see if the missing items are even in themoviedb.org? (that's where it gets it's metadata from). Although it should be there....I mean I have ~180 movies, some of them pretty obscure, and I'm only missing backdrops for 2 of them.

Did you try clearing your mediabrowser cache? I don't know what else to suggest...other then uninstalling it all and trying again.....
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 12:14 PM   #32
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314 View Post
Hmm, by "random things" you mean like sometimes it wouldn't get a backdrop, or sometimes it wouldn't get covers, or sometimes metadata? Have you checked to see if the missing items are even in themoviedb.org? (that's where it gets it's metadata from). Although it should be there....I mean I have ~180 movies, some of them pretty obscure, and I'm only missing backdrops for 2 of them.

Did you try clearing your mediabrowser cache? I don't know what else to suggest...other then uninstalling it all and trying again.....
Yes, I did try clearing cache.

What I meant about "random", was that out of all the Family Guy episodes I have, It would just get the metadata for random episodes. The rest it wouldn't do anything for.

I'm not real worried about it anymore TBH. Boxee is rocking mah socks so I'm just about sold

So I did get my new TV this past weekend and I tried to stream a 1080P of Star Trek across the network. At first, it lagged a little but after closing and reopening Boxee, it worked flawlessly. Yeah, I think I'm sold on Boxee.

Old 11-25-09, 11:06 PM   #33
six_storm

So I just found something that REALLY is a deal breaker. Wifey rented a DVD, put it in the HTPC and NOTHING HAPPENED in Boxee. WTF!?!?

I just haven't had the time to really extensively test out Boxee so I guess this is what I get. Until I see the Boxee Beta next month, I may have to go back to XBMC and pick a decent skin to deal with. At least I know that works 98%.
Old 11-26-09, 10:18 PM   #34
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

That's interesting. I've tried having an all-in-one box and it just didn't work, wasn't reliable enough. We use XBMC for viewing local HD content and a BDP2550 for Bluray/DVD/Netflix/Pandora.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-09, 10:59 PM   #35
mullet

What about Media Portal do you guys hate so much, I am able to play DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/.ISO with no problems at all. Smooth as silk with no hangups or glitches. What am I missing?

Win 7 64bit
Mediaportal
ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum
Daemon tools
Old 11-26-09, 11:30 PM   #36
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
What about Media Portal do you guys hate so much, I am able to play DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/.ISO with no problems at all. Smooth as silk with no hangups or glitches. What am I missing?

Win 7 64bit
Mediaportal
ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum
Daemon tools
I've never tried it (at least I don't think). XBMC has always worked out the best for me and I guess my little experiments have shown I need to stick with it. I may give MP a shot, we'll just have to see how much extra time I have this weekend.

So now I'm trying out the latest Beta of XBMC and it's new default skin "Confluence". It's basically MediaStream with a few small tweaks, but it's nice. Once I can get my Movie Library back in order, I think I'll have everything working again.