Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-30-09, 05:31 PM   #1
DasFox

Default Do You LIke Or Use Ubuntu? - Read This!

Ubuntu is a great distro and Freenode has a great IRC channel for Ubuntu support, only one problem, it's so damm busy, so I started a new channel on Freenode called ##ubuntu-geeks.

Hopefully in time this will be a great channel without so much traffic and chaos going on.

Spread the word if you're a Ubuntu user!
Old 11-23-09, 12:12 PM   #2
carlos
In the fetal position

Default Re: Do You LIke Or Use Ubuntu? - Read This!

Not a fan. I have never seen so many bugs and issues go on. The kernel bug for crawling USB transfers speeds has been un touched for almost 8 months now. It's growing past it's Linux roots in trying to make everything so user friendly rather than functionality and performance. Canonical needs to remap this soon...
Old 11-23-09, 05:10 PM   #3
utanja
Debian All the Way

no.....don't use it...
- Goethe, Maximen und Reflexionen
Intel 3I-core 2d.gen -3.1GHz;8 gig ram;PureDebian SID[3.2[custom kernel] 8 Debian workstations
plus HP Win7 64bit Wireless Laptop Network/Citrix/NX/VMware
Mozilla/Firebird browsers
my american friends call me tonya
utanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-09, 06:58 AM   #4
carlos
In the fetal position

I tried Arch Linux and Debian and have no need to ever use anything else. At work I am required to use CentOS.
Old 11-24-09, 10:53 PM   #5
Arup

Ubuntu is the distro thats putting Linux on desktop maps. It is the only distro I would recommend for a Windows refugee. It isn't perfect in any ways but it works.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-09, 10:44 PM   #6
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Halp. My Windows tried to assassinate me. Can Ubuntu offer me asylum? It's just me, and my 50 relatives.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 12:35 PM   #7
TheBlackCat

I never liked ubuntu (or kubuntu). For gnome users it may be okay, but it is notoriously unstable for KDE users and has a long history of forcing unstable software on users. If you look at threads about problems on the KDE forum, they mostly seem to be from people using kubuntu (or recently debian squeeze, which people don't seem to understand is not intended to be stable), especially if it is a bug other people cannot reproduce .
TheBlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 12:05 AM   #8
Arup

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Halp. My Windows tried to assassinate me. Can Ubuntu offer me asylum? It's just me, and my 50 relatives.
If you can wean them out of Windows mindset slowly and steadily, you and others can free yourself from Windows.

As for Ubuntu, its far stable and easy to use than any other distro period, no ifs and or buts, using Linux since 1999, I have tried em all and still do when new ones come out, but there is sometimes a price to pay for that but thats negligible. In terms of update and stability, the team Ubuntu is unmatched and they also issue the fastest patches in terms of security issues. As for KDE Kubuntu, it remains a stepchild but that will soon change as Ubuntu is now branching off into a whole separate branch for Kubuntu and that means good news.

Old 12-01-09, 12:26 AM   #9
Redeemed

@ Crainger

As to Ubunutu- I've used it and Kubuntu. I'm a linux newb, and that's why I like those distros. It's like that baby-step one needs when migrating from Windows to, well, near any other Linux Distro.

Granted, I started out back in the days of MS-DOS so a command pompt is not quite a stranger to me. Just, it's been a while since I've used one and I've been rather spoiled by the GUI in Windows. Thus, Ubuntu and Kubuntus attraction.

Maybe someday I'll have another computer setup that can be soley Linux- that way I don't bork up my good Windows install.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 11:27 AM   #10
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arup View Post
If you can wean them out of Windows mindset slowly and steadily, you and others can free yourself from Windows.

As for Ubuntu, its far stable and easy to use than any other distro period, no ifs and or buts, using Linux since 1999, I have tried em all and still do when new ones come out, but there is sometimes a price to pay for that but thats negligible. In terms of update and stability, the team Ubuntu is unmatched and they also issue the fastest patches in terms of security issues. As for KDE Kubuntu, it remains a stepchild but that will soon change as Ubuntu is now branching off into a whole separate branch for Kubuntu and that means good news.
LOLz
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 01:34 AM   #11
Arup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
LOLz
Old 12-02-09, 10:56 AM   #12
musman
I Derail Threads

Tried it, nothing but problems. There is a reason it's free... not many would be willing to pay for it.
Antec Nine Hundred case. Core I-7 920 @ 3.56GHz, Noctua NH-U12P Cooler, EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX-285 1GB, EVGA GT-240 Superclocked 512Mb used as a Physx card, DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6, OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600 7-7-7-18, Intel X25-V SSD, used as a boot drive, 2X Seagate 500Gig 32MB Cache 7200RPM in RAID 0, Logitec G-15 keyboard, Logitech MX-518 Mouse, CH Combatstick 568, Xboc Controller, LG L227WTG-PF 22" LCD Monitor 1680x1050. Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit. Speakers: KRK Rokit8 studio monitors.

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/media/customer.jpg
musman is offline   Reply With Quote