Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-02-09, 01:15 AM   #1
jalyst
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 83
Default Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

Has anyone head of anything like this on the cards very soon?
Ideally an IGP with post processing abilities equal to to the recently release GT 2xx range
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU#Table_of_NVIDIA_GPUs

I'm thinking of buying a media front-end for my Myth set-up & I'm not sure
I want ION-based with the advent of the more capable GT 2xx cards...

Thanks
jalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 02:35 AM   #2
Fackamato
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 366
Default Re: Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

I have an ION based board (ASUS, Atom), and I'm running XBMC 9.11 beta under Ubuntu. Everything is smooth. Post-processing? I wouldn't want that! Get a better source if you need PP.
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 03:10 AM   #3
jalyst
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 83
Default Re: Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

Sorry wrong choice of words, LOL
Are you able to answer my actual qn or do you not know?

Thanks
jalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 03:18 AM   #4
Fackamato
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 366
Default Re: Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Sorry wrong choice of words, LOL
Are you able to answer my actual qn or do you not know?

Thanks
What about the Intel cards?
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 03:48 AM   #5
jalyst
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 83
Default Re: Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

they're video decoding isn't quite as capable as the nV cards though is it?

see feature set C...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU#Table_of_NVIDIA_GPUs
jalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-09, 04:11 AM   #6
Ubuntaqua
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 35
Default Re: Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

So-called "Ion2" is probably what you want. Next year. As for specs, who knows

My ION setup (zotac IONITX-D-E) does a wonderfull enough job that I do not regret *not* waiting for a better IGP.
As for Feature Set C (... that is, DivX, Xvid, mainly), dual core Atom reads hi def content very well, thank you.

There's always something better on the horizon. You just have to cut the line somewhere and buy.
Ubuntaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-09, 09:46 AM   #7
jalyst
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 83
Default Re: Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

yeah I've seen some claim that much of the hd mpeg stuff that isn't accelerated, is still handled well by the dual-cores, so i guess its not a 'biggy'..

The tricky part now is deciding if I just want to get the raw components, or a ready built system like an acer revo?

Also, I think I recall seeing an ITX mobo that actually used Core2 CPU's and the same sort of IGP, guess it'd have much more of a premium though...
jalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-09, 03:46 AM   #8
Ubuntaqua
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 35
Default Re: Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
yeah I've seen some claim that much of the hd mpeg stuff that isn't accelerated, is still handled well by the dual-cores, so i guess its not a 'biggy'..

The tricky part now is deciding if I just want to get the raw components, or a ready built system like an acer revo?

Also, I think I recall seeing an ITX mobo that actually used Core2 CPU's and the same sort of IGP, guess it'd have much more of a premium though...
I had the exactly same issue a few month ago.
Bottom line is :

- Do you need big hard drive(s) (or multiple hard drives) --> Yes ? --> raw components
- Do you use something specific for sound ? (few ready built systems have a coax audio output for exemple, and onboard analog audio really suck for true "hi-fi" fanatics like me). yes ? --> raw components
- Do you wish to have a BR drive/burner ?
- Do you have computer parts that you wish to reuse (big hard drive, optical drives...) --> row components

For all those questions, the answer __in my case__ lead me to build my own system.

There's a dozen reliable ION mini-ITX motherboards so pick the one that fits your need (dual Atom ? onboard Wifi ? onboard Blue-tooth ? coax numerical audio out ? ). Some Zotacs even have an included power supply.

The hardest part for me was finding the exactly right computer case. I needed to reuse 2 normal hard drives (not 2.5in hdd like in laptops), a normal 5.25in optical drive, a passive PSU, and a WAF compliant design. I went for the Gigabyte MIB T5140, but only because it became available in stores before the Thermaltake Element Q, which was also a good choice for my needs.

Good luck
Ubuntaqua is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-09, 03:55 AM   #9
Ubuntaqua
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 35
Default Re: Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Also, I think I recall seeing an ITX mobo that actually used Core2 CPU's and the same sort of IGP, guess it'd have much more of a premium though...
One of the most compelling part of ION chipset is that it's a low power, low heat device, that can be connected to a low power, low heat CPU (Atom(s)). Use an integrated chipset like nvidia 9300 with a Core2 and you loose half of the compelling, in my humble opinion.
Ubuntaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-09, 10:42 AM   #10
jalyst
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 83
Default Re: Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

Some great points thanks!
Actually I just realised that the Essence ST + H6 I bought would have to go into my Media Front-End, so a pre-built system won't do!

I'm guessing most content will be streamed from my Myth Backend /NAS so heaps of storage isn't a big deal.
1x 3.5" 1TB should be plenty, maybe even just an cheap-arse SSD?!

I seem to hear Zotac mentioned a lot so I'll have a closer look at their mobo's.
Thanks also for the case selections!

I'm not going to be picky, I've been far too anal w/other systems I've been designing lately and time is now of the essence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubuntaqua View Post
I had the exactly same issue a few month ago.
Bottom line is :

- Do you need big hard drive(s) (or multiple hard drives) --> Yes ? --> raw components
- Do you use something specific for sound ? (few ready built systems have a coax audio output for exemple, and onboard analog audio really suck for true "hi-fi" fanatics like me). yes ? --> raw components
- Do you wish to have a BR drive/burner ?
- Do you have computer parts that you wish to reuse (big hard drive, optical drives...) --> row components

For all those questions, the answer __in my case__ lead me to build my own system.

There's a dozen reliable ION mini-ITX motherboards so pick the one that fits your need (dual Atom ? onboard Wifi ? onboard Blue-tooth ? coax numerical audio out ? ). Some Zotacs even have an included power supply.

The hardest part for me was finding the exactly right computer case. I needed to reuse 2 normal hard drives (not 2.5in hdd like in laptops), a normal 5.25in optical drive, a passive PSU, and a WAF compliant design. I went for the Gigabyte MIB T5140, but only because it became available in stores before the Thermaltake Element Q, which was also a good choice for my needs.

Good luck
jalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-09, 11:11 AM   #11
jalyst
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 83
Default Re: Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

Yeah this is true, minor brain fade there...

How does the IGP on the ION compare to the 9400 for core2 systems?
It's a while since I read up on all this and my memory fails me.

The ION IGP is based on the Geforce 9x00 isn't it?
I'm in the midst of googling to refresh my memory but it's too darn late tis 3am, night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubuntaqua View Post
One of the most compelling part of ION chipset is that it's a low power, low heat device, that can be connected to a low power, low heat CPU (Atom(s)). Use an integrated chipset like nvidia 9300 with a Core2 and you loose half of the compelling, in my humble opinion.
jalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 10:52 AM   #12
Ubuntaqua
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 35
Default Re: Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
How does the IGP on the ION compare to the 9400 for core2 systems?
It's a while since I read up on all this and my memory fails me.

The ION IGP is based on the Geforce 9x00 isn't it?
I'm in the midst of googling to refresh my memory but it's too darn late tis 3am, night.
Yep they're essentially the same. Although some nvidia guy or fan would probably argue on minor details.
Ubuntaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.