Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-26-09, 11:06 PM   #37
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|
Default Re: Trying Windows 7 Media Center . .

Media Portal is nice and I do like the PVR functionality but I tried it and it doesn't work for me. I'm huge on GUI's and even with the skins, which the best are copies of XBMC skins, don't work for me. Also there's no linux version.

The new default skin "Confluence" is nice. Primarily use Alaska with "red slate" textures
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs

Last edited by |JuiceZ|; 11-26-09 at 11:08 PM. Reason: because
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 07:48 AM   #38
mullet

As long as it does what I want, I am not huge on it has to look cool in order to use it. There is some pretty good skins and plugins for MP but you have to look. I use an external player for all my playback, I have never liked any of the internal players.
Old 11-27-09, 08:59 AM   #39
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
So now I'm trying out the latest Beta of XBMC and it's new default skin "Confluence". It's basically MediaStream with a few small tweaks, but it's nice. Once I can get my Movie Library back in order, I think I'll have everything working again.
confluence is a nice skin, hopefully they keep expanding it. i'm still using Aeon Hitched Ekim version, to bad DJH abandabled Aeon project, but i geuss it worked out for the best he was a stubborn dev.
Old 11-27-09, 02:06 PM   #40
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
confluence is a nice skin, hopefully they keep expanding it. i'm still using Aeon Hitched Ekim version, to bad DJH abandabled Aeon project, but i geuss it worked out for the best he was a stubborn dev.
djh was a weird guy. He was always bitter from what I read in his posts.

Once the wifey and I can get the rest of the Christmas stuff up, I should have some time to work on it and get my movie library indexed. XBMC doesn't like when you have individual folders for some reason . . .
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 01:53 PM   #41
six_storm

My dad bought an ASROCK Ion 330 for his HTPC and I was able to set it up today. I installed Windows 7 x64 and XBMC Camelot. One thing we noticed right off the bat was that XBMC could not run GPU Hardware Acceleration properly. MKVs were extremely laggy.

So I found a cool website that showed me how to run Media Player Classic in full screen for all MKVs, and then return to XBMC when the video is stopped. Really awesome workaround and it works perfectly!

My dad is thrilled with the new HTPC. +1 for XBMC!!!
Old 12-06-09, 07:56 PM   #42
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
My dad bought an ASROCK Ion 330 for his HTPC and I was able to set it up today. I installed Windows 7 x64 and XBMC Camelot. One thing we noticed right off the bat was that XBMC could not run GPU Hardware Acceleration properly. MKVs were extremely laggy.

So I found a cool website that showed me how to run Media Player Classic in full screen for all MKVs, and then return to XBMC when the video is stopped. Really awesome workaround and it works perfectly!

My dad is thrilled with the new HTPC. +1 for XBMC!!!
Or you could have just installed XBMC live and used the VDPAU gpu acceleration
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 08:30 PM   #43
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by |JuiceZ| View Post
Or you could have just installed XBMC live and used the VDPAU gpu acceleration
I could have and would have . . . if it were my own system. Since it's my dad's HTPC and he lives 30 minutes away, I wanted it to be stable and easy enough to mess with in case we had to work something out over the phone