Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-05-09, 10:36 AM   #13
iSpy

Default Re: Where are the GeForce GT 240 Linux drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhobbes View Post
Powermizer works
No
My:
Code:
$ lspci |grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0ca3 (rev a2)
aka GT 240 512mb GDDR5 work with 190.42, but slow perfomance in opengl and vdpau, glxgears show only 4000 fps, because powermizer level always in level 1.

i run glxgears and nvidia-settings -q all | grep GPUCurrentClockFreqs
Code:
$ nvidia-settings -q all | grep GPUCurrentClockFreqs
  Attribute 'GPUCurrentClockFreqs' 405,324.
But should be at specs on Palit Sonic GT 240 GDDR5 - nvclock=575, memclock=1800

Code:
$ nvidia-settings -q all | grep GPUPerfModes
Attribute 'GPUPerfModes' (comp:0.0): perf=0, nvclock=135, memclock=135 ; perf=1, nvclock=405, memclock=324 ; perf=2, nvclock=575, memclock=1800
Mode perf=2, nvclock=575, memclock=1800 present, but not work
iSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 08:29 PM   #14
mgsfan

I just bought and installed evga 240 gt super clocked 512mb card and it works with the 195.22 drivers..albeit its set to 1 on powermizer.. compiz and such don't see to lag at all for me.
mgsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 11:37 PM   #15
travisghansen

I've got an HP dv8t quad laptop with the 230M and I'm seeing this issue as well..

WAIT: (E, 0, 0x857d, 0)

Would love to get it working as I reverted to nouveau with gallium 3d for the time being.
travisghansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 05:36 PM   #16
mr_helamonster

wmhobbes, my card is the Palit 1GB GDDR5 version, but iSpy says that 190.42 works for him with GDDR5. Strange...

Are you guys are you using the "nvidia-auto-select" to detect screen configuration, or do you have a custom Device and/or Screen section in Xorg.conf? Also, what OS/kernel version?
mr_helamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 10:50 PM   #17
travisghansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_helamonster View Post
wmhobbes, my card is the Palit 1GB GDDR5 version, but iSpy says that 190.42 works for him with GDDR5. Strange...

Are you guys are you using the "nvidia-auto-select" to detect screen configuration, or do you have a custom Device and/or Screen section in Xorg.conf? Also, what OS/kernel version?
Yes, I'm using nvidia-auto-select.

I'm running gentoo and I tried all options of a 2x2 matrix with
190.42, and 195.22
2.6.31 and 2.6.32

All of them is with xorg-server 1.7.

I did notice that ubuntu 9.10 with xorg-server 1.6 and the 180.something drivers did work. I would try 180.something drivers on my setup but it's too much of a pain to downgrade all of X to 1.6.
Old 12-08-09, 02:01 AM   #18
iSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_helamonster View Post
but iSpy says that 190.42 works for him with GDDR5. Strange...
Yes, my Palit Sonic GT 240 512mb DDR5 work with 190.42 and 195.22, but clocks not DDR5, only perf level 1 with 405/324 (GPU/Memory).
Debian, vanilla kernel 2.6.32, xorg 7.5/xserver 1.7.3, dual monitors using separate X screens, custom config
DDR5 clocks 575/1800 work only with windows. This powermizer bug.
Attached Files
File Type: gz xorg.conf.gz (980 Bytes, 212 views)
iSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 03:20 AM   #19
ledoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisghansen View Post
Would love to get it working as I reverted to nouveau with gallium 3d for the time being.
Nice! How is that working?
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 06:43 PM   #20
travisghansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoc View Post
Nice! How is that working?
It actually is working really well! I swapped hard drives and did a clean install of karmic. I added nvidia ppa and installed the 190.42 drivers, enabled effects and went my way. I turned on the benchmark tool and it was saying something like 700-900 fps. It actually seemed a little sluggish though.

I have gallium working on a different hard drive and the benchmark tool is showing 115 fps but it *feels* much smoother. Obviously I can't do vdpau with nouveau, but I'm seriously impressed given how alpha it is. It's also very nice to have KMS so logout scenarios where the server restarts doesn't leave me with a garbled screen and I can get nice boot splash

Last edited by travisghansen; 12-08-09 at 06:50 PM. Reason: additions and fix typos

Old 12-09-09, 02:05 AM   #21
ledoc

Quote:
It actually is working really well! I swapped hard drives and did a clean install of karmic. I added nvidia ppa and installed the 190.42 drivers, enabled effects and went my way. I turned on the benchmark tool and it was saying something like 700-900 fps. It actually seemed a little sluggish though.

I have gallium working on a different hard drive and the benchmark tool is showing 115 fps but it *feels* much smoother. Obviously I can't do vdpau with nouveau, but I'm seriously impressed given how alpha it is. It's also very nice to have KMS so logout scenarios where the server restarts doesn't leave me with a garbled screen and I can get nice boot splash
Neat!! I have GF8 hardware and sluggish compiz as well (pathetic, I know!) and was hoping nouveau helps there (havent tried it yet though). Also note that nouveau operates the card at the lowest performance possible. That could easily give you a factor of five in benchmarks.

Do you have any other nouveau experiences to share? Tried any other (at least mildly demanding) OpenGL sstuff?
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 02:27 AM   #22
travisghansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoc View Post
Neat!! I have GF8 hardware and sluggish compiz as well (pathetic, I know!) and was hoping nouveau helps there (havent tried it yet though). Also note that nouveau operates the card at the lowest performance possible. That could easily give you a factor of five in benchmarks.

Do you have any other nouveau experiences to share? Tried any other (at least mildly demanding) OpenGL sstuff?
Pretty rediculous that cards like these run sluggish and my intel X3100 is nice and smooth. Anyway, I don't have much to report on the gallium 3d front. My experience so far has been that when I have it up and running, it was super smooth with compiz. I'm running git versions of libdrm, mesa, xf86-video-nouveau, and nouveau-drm. It has been a little flaky and locked up a couple times a day. I'm not really sure which piece is at fault for that though as this is a new laptop and I don't have any track record at all. It's also got PM55 chipset which I don't think is supported the best in linux yet either.

I'll keep ya'll updated on progress though.
Old 12-09-09, 07:27 AM   #23
wmhobbes

Quote:
Pretty rediculous that cards like these run sluggish and my intel X3100 is nice and smooth.
The main cause of slugginess in 3d desktops, on my systems, seems to be powermizer. Since most of the times it stays on the low settings and it peaks just when something weird is requested, there it stutters.

Disabling it gives a much smoother desktop. And shorter battery times.

And to be back on the original topic: my GT240 DDR3 card has a perf=2, nvclock=550, memclock=790 setting, which *is* used by powermizer with 195.22.
wmhobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 12:33 PM   #24
Sarev

silly question: how do you disable power mixing?
Sarev is offline   Reply With Quote