Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-02-09, 10:22 PM   #13
Arup

Default Re: Do You LIke Or Use Ubuntu? - Read This!

Uh Oh! I see bash Linux time again, specifically Ubuntu. Strange, I have so far installed it in around thirty odd PCs of various vintage at my institute, my own personal PCs have dual quad core and phenom, also a old VAIO laptop and a ASUS EEEPc. So far none have given me any issues whatsoever. Everything works and works well. As for free versus paid, lets see, I am like others an ex Windows users and till date I have tried out their latest and greatest, I won't use it even if were to be free. Few of my friends have gone through hell trying to upgrade from XP, BSODs are back with fervor again and not since ME it has been that bad. Btw, it has now progressed to Black SOD from blue, now thats innovation for sure. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10406369-56.html

The best MS OS to come out was their unheralded WinXP64, had best of both worlds, XP's GUI with rock stable 2003 server core, match made in heaven. I had that as a free upgrade and with SP2, it was the best ever Windows to run on my PC till I went all Linux.

The original OP wanted to know if we like Ubuntu among other Linux distros, lets keep it that way and not make it the typical Win versus Lin mudfest.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 11:39 PM   #14
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arup View Post
Uh Oh! I see bash Linux time again, specifically Ubuntu. Strange, I have so far installed it in around thirty odd PCs of various vintage at my institute, my own personal PCs have dual quad core and phenom, also a old VAIO laptop and a ASUS EEEPc. So far none have given me any issues whatsoever. Everything works and works well. As for free versus paid, lets see, I am like others an ex Windows users and till date I have tried out their latest and greatest, I won't use it even if were to be free. Few of my friends have gone through hell trying to upgrade from XP, BSODs are back with fervor again and not since ME it has been that bad. Btw, it has now progressed to Black SOD from blue, now thats innovation for sure. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10406369-56.html

The best MS OS to come out was their unheralded WinXP64, had best of both worlds, XP's GUI with rock stable 2003 server core, match made in heaven. I had that as a free upgrade and with SP2, it was the best ever Windows to run on my PC till I went all Linux.

The original OP wanted to know if we like Ubuntu among other Linux distros, lets keep it that way and not make it the typical Win versus Lin mudfest.
Actually, you started bashing windows with your post I quoted. But I'm not going to go there.

You love linux. Fine. We got it. If it works for you, then hallelujah. I will stick with my crappy O/S that plays crappy games. Big whoop.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 11:49 PM   #15
Arup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
Actually, you started bashing windows with your post I quoted. But I'm not going to go there.

You love linux. Fine. We got it. If it works for you, then hallelujah. I will stick with my crappy O/S that plays crappy games. Big whoop.
If you can wean them out of Windows mindset slowly and steadily, you and others can free yourself from Windows.

I see, where did I get to bashing, the poster asked if he could survive without Windows and I just mentioned that he has to gradually wean himself and his family members out of it. Unless you hold a share at M$, why would that hurt you. This thread is about Linux anyways, so if you so don't like Linux, why even bother to hang out here. The original discussion was about the pros and cons of Ubuntu over other Linux distros.

Since you mention games, there are separate gaming modules which incidentally run on sucky Linux like SONY's PSP etc which run circles around any Windows or PC for that matter. So if I were into gaming, I would be looking there and not the PC. Anyways, to each his own.

LOLZzzzzzzzzzzz to you.
Old 12-09-09, 06:03 AM   #16
FearMeAll

Quote:
[i]
Since you mention games, there are separate gaming modules which incidentally run on sucky Linux like SONY's PSP etc which run circles around any Windows or PC for that matter. So if I were into gaming, I would be looking there and not the PC. Anyways, to each his own.
Yeah cuz Crysis could run at like 60,000,000 fps if ported to the psp.
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
FearMeAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 09:13 AM   #17
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearMeAll View Post
LOL...inorite?
Old 12-28-09, 11:45 PM   #18
arvel
*BANNED*

Hi.
I am using Ubuntu because it has more data security in Linux, so I prefer ubuntu. According to me Ubuntu has more security better than Windows XP, Vista, etc.
arvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 12:51 AM   #19
Arup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearMeAll View Post
Nope, it will run at nano fps.
Old 12-29-09, 05:45 AM   #20
Sean_W

Quote:
If you can wean them out of Windows mindset slowly and steadily, you and others can free yourself from Windows.

I see, where did I get to bashing, the poster asked if he could survive without Windows and I just mentioned that he has to gradually wean himself and his family members out of it. Unless you hold a share at M$, why would that hurt you. This thread is about Linux anyways, so if you so don't like Linux, why even bother to hang out here. The original discussion was about the pros and cons of Ubuntu over other Linux distros.

LOLZzzzzzzzzzzz to you.
I wouldn't worry about the Windows gaming thing. Windows users use it as a leverage for their argument, when PC gaming is dying as a platform and why most game developers are switching away from it as their primary platform.

The Windows market is shrinking, Linux is growing.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-09, 08:45 AM   #21
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
I wouldn't worry about the Windows gaming thing. Windows users use it as a leverage for their argument, when PC gaming is dying as a platform and why most game developers are switching away from it as their primary platform.

The Windows market is shrinking, Linux is growing.
Wow. You are truly deluded, aren't you?

You could be 13 years old, and you will still never see Linux get the share of the market that Microsoft has. Never. And you're saying that "PC gaming is a dying platform..." ...Linux has really brainwashed you that much?

As I said before, I will keep my crappy box and play crappy games on my Win7 and I'll be happy. Go and customize your kernel and show us how 'leet' you really are. It will go over swell with teh ladiez.

Last edited by DiscipleDOC; 01-08-10 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-29-09, 10:29 AM   #22
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
Wow. You are truly deluded, aren't you?

You could be 13 years old, and you will still never see Linux get the share of the market that Microsoft has. Never. And you're saying that "PC gaming is a dying platform..." ...Linux has really brainwashed you that much?

As I said before, I will keep my crappy box and play crappy games on my Win7 and I'll be happy. Go and customize your kernel and show us how 'leet' you really are. I will go over swell with teh ladiez.
LOL

Windows PC game sales are at their lowest ever, game developers are leaving Windows as a primary gaming development platform and sales are piss poor compared to consoles.

Microsoft Windows is at it's lowest market share for the last 10 years, it's shrinking. Linux is dominant in the server sector and Linux is strong in the Netbook sector.

I wouldn't use Microsoft's monopoly as your point because Microsoft didn't get where they are by selling good and honest OS's. Also, Linux has forced Microsoft to change their business ways and they openly admit that Linux is becoming their biggest competitor. The only way Microsoft could keep the Netbook market was to sell an eight year old OS called Windows XP, because Vista wasn't good enough and Windows 7 is a response to that, not because users wanted something better.

It's you Windows users that are deluded, thinking Microsoft made Windows 7 for the users, when it was for their own changing and dying business model.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 10:43 AM   #23
grey_1

I stopped using Ubuntu after trying FC10. The whole environment was much more stable and didn't suffer from "update breakage" the way Ubuntu did for me.

That said, I haven't used it for about 2 months due to a rock solid Win 7 install, but when I did game on Linux everything I ran that had native ports ran comparably to it's windows counterpart, mainly ogl and source titles.

Security wise, I'm not and never will be sold on either OS's security out of the box, but most 'nix distros I've read up on do get vulnerabilities patched faster than MS does.

FYI - I'm not a programmer, just an enthusiast who likes to learn and one thing Linux is great for is learning a pc inside and out. Not using any specialized apps probably saves me a good deal of heart ache that others deal with.

It's nice being able to use both with a reasonable level of comfort.
Old 12-30-09, 12:47 AM   #24
Redeemed

Honestly- I really like both Ubuntu and Kubuntu. Sadly, I know neither as well as I'd like to.

For the longest time I've wanted a rig that I could dedicate to both Distros. So I could experiment and dabble with them. I dare not do such with my primary rig cause far too many times in the past I've borked a windows install because of something I did within my linux install. Don't want to risk losing all the family pictures and videos, as well as my large music collection.

So until I can get enough money aside to put together a cheap rig that I can dedicate to these two distros, I'll be sticking with Windows.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote