Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-08-09, 05:01 PM   #1
HieronymusJosch

Unhappy [Solved] Ubuntu 9.1; geforce2 integrated gpu; nvidia 96.43 SCREEN FREEZES

[Solved] Well, kind of. I ended up buying a GeForce 6200 card and am staring at a big, beautiful 1920x1080 with full desktop effects. I figured it wasn't worth wasting anymore time trying to get an old, slow card with no memory to work on a legacy driver. Versus the 32mb my old card had on hand, I've got a much more respectable 256 and am successfully running the nvidia 190.xx driver! Thanks to all that helped, especially you AaronP!

I have had to install fresh copies of Ubuntu 3 times now to get back to functional GUI. After installing nv 96.43.13 (which is the recommended driver in both Ubuntu's hardware driver console and Envy) and restarting, I am greeted with the following errors:
Code:
[EE]NVIDIA(0) Unable to use default mode "nvidia-auto-select"
[EE}Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration
I can then either boot to low graphics for a session, allow nvidia to compile a new configuration, troubleshoot the problem or drop down to the console.

The first two times I've installed the OS and the driver package I opted to allow nvidia to set up a new configuration. Both times proved disasterous. Upon reboot, the screen would freeze at the ubuntu loading screen and become unresponsive. After which, setting the driver in the xorg.conf file to "nv" allowed ubuntu to boot up fully but my lcd read "input not supported." Setting the driver to "vesa" resulted in an unresponsive black screen during the boot up process.

I have saved the existing conf file that is allowing me to use the GUI now as xorg.conf.backup2 just in case. I haven't found much help over at the Ubuntu forums, so I'm heading straight for the graphics gurus over here at nvnews.

I have found a couple of threads here that suggest it may be an issue w/ CPU frequency scaling and that adding the code "exit 0" to /etc/init.d/powernowd resolves the problem. Well, no such file exists on my computer. I also read that adding the option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP" to the device section of the conf file can solve the problem. Neither did for me.

I did notice that after nvidia tries to build a working configuration, my card information never registers in the conf file like it does in others I've seen. The name of my card, it's busid and such never comes up. Is there a way that I can manually build the correct information into the conf file?

Attached are the current logs. Remember, I'm running in low graphics mode and have yet to configure my device to the new driver; I am concerned that when I do my GUI will be kaput. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Josch

I ran nvidia-xconfig and rebooted. The screen froze at the ubuntu loading screen, as expected. Here is how the xorg.conf file looks:
Code:
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder63)  Thu Jun 25 18:57:07 PDT 2009

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 110.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 150.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection
As you can see, the geforce2 integrated gpu is not recognized. What gives?
Attached Files
File Type: log :0.log (5.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: log :01.log (436 Bytes, 87 views)
File Type: log :02.log (5.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (243 Bytes, 88 views)
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (7.7 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by HieronymusJosch; 12-15-09 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Solved
HieronymusJosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 05:48 PM   #2
HieronymusJosch

Default Re: Ubuntu 9.1; geforce2 integrated gpu; nvidia 96.43 errors; logs included

bump?
Old 12-08-09, 06:35 PM   #3
HieronymusJosch

Default Re: Ubuntu 9.1; geforce2 integrated gpu; nvidia 96.43 errors; logs included

In reviewing the x server log, my graphics card and monitor are initially recognised then the error
Code:
Insufficient memory bandwidth for MetaMode
"nvidia-auto-select" discarding
occurs several times before auto-select is removed completely. If my card is being read initially at PCI:1:0:0 and my monitor recognised, though incorrectly as a CRT, why isn't any of that being transferred to xorg.conf? I tried searching for the above error and got no results.
Old 12-08-09, 07:54 PM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Can you please start X using the config you pasted in the code tag using "startx -- -logverbose 6" and then attach the resulting Xorg.0.log file?
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 10:10 PM   #5
HieronymusJosch

Aaron, thanks for the help man.

As I've been messing with this all day, the xorg.conf file may have changed a bit. Just to be sure, below is the xorg.conf that was active when I ran "startx --logverbose 6"
Code:
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder63)  Thu Jun 25 18:57:07 PDT 2009

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 110.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 150.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection
And I've attached the resulting log.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.txt (13.2 KB, 111 views)
Old 12-09-09, 12:32 AM   #6
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Hmm, according to this log, everything worked fine except that it had to fall back to 1024x768 to meet the memory bandwidth constraints, and then the server shut down normally. What exactly happened when you started X?
Old 12-09-09, 11:09 AM   #7
HieronymusJosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Hmm, according to this log, everything worked fine except that it had to fall back to 1024x768 to meet the memory bandwidth constraints, and then the server shut down normally. What exactly happened when you started X?
The screen went black momentarily then the terminal came back up, I saw the last 8 or so lines of the log and it dropped back to root. So we're on the same page, I had to startx from recovery mode if I wanted the log with that particular xorg.conf, any other configuration and I would have gotten a black unresponsive screen before I could get to a terminal.
Old 12-09-09, 11:17 AM   #8
HieronymusJosch

I've noticed in these logs that I'm running x server 1.6xxx. Would it help to upgrade to the newest xserver? I wonder why ubuntu hasn't packaged it with it's latest updates.

Old 12-09-09, 03:22 PM   #9
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

I wonder if your session is just exiting immediately. What happens if you create a file in your home directory called .xinitrc consisting of "xterm", and then run xinit?
Old 12-10-09, 12:00 AM   #10
HieronymusJosch

Quote:
I wonder if your session is just exiting immediately. What happens if you create a file in your home directory called .xinitrc consisting of "xterm", and then run xinit?
The nvidia logo screen comes up and appears to be frozen but I'm able to move the cursor around. I let it sit for a while then dropped back to a terminal with ctrl+alt+f1, which it let me do. I caught the tail end of the log and it read "Error Recovery Failed." Thanks again for your help, I can't help but feel like we're getting somewhere.

J
Old 12-10-09, 12:32 AM   #11
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh and attach the resulting log file. It sounds like something is corrupting the commands the driver is sending to the GPU. Normally, I'd blame the Linux AGP driver, but since your GPU is embedded, I don't think that applies.
Old 12-10-09, 09:14 AM   #12
HieronymusJosch

Quote:
Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh and attach the resulting log file. It sounds like something is corrupting the commands the driver is sending to the GPU. Normally, I'd blame the Linux AGP driver, but since your GPU is embedded, I don't think that applies.
What will be the name of the resulting log and will the report run properly from recovery mode?