Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-04-09, 04:46 PM   #1
eraccusa
Business Owner

Send a message via AIM to eraccusa Send a message via MSN to eraccusa
Default Mandriva 2010 Driver 190.42 "Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device"

Hi all, I read the sitcky at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678 and have searched the forum for answers using the search string "Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device". Nothing I found seems to give a solution that relates to my problem.

I have created a paste of relevant information here:

http://eracc.pastebin.com/f24d30f9f

As well as attached nvidia-bug-report.log.gz to this post as instructed. Currently I have a GUI using the generic "nv" driver in xorg.conf and commenting out the "nvidia" driver. But if I enable the "nvidia" driver and comment out "nv" I get errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and no GUI. I will be happy to provide any other information as needed. Thanks in advance for help resolving this problem.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (49.8 KB, 117 views)
eraccusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-09, 05:30 PM   #2
eraccusa
Business Owner

Default Re: Mandriva 2010 Driver 190.42 "Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device"

I just removed and reinstalled the drivers again. New nvidia-bug-report.log.gz attached. Please let me know if there is anything else I need to post here. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (43.6 KB, 122 views)
Old 12-04-09, 05:39 PM   #3
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Mandriva 2010 Driver 190.42 "Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device"

From your log file:
Code:
NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  190.42  Tue Oct 20 20:18:32 PDT 2009
vmap allocation for size 16781312 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x23:0xffffffff:697)
NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed
Please see the README section on what to do about that kernel limitation.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-09, 06:28 PM   #4
eraccusa
Business Owner

Thank you! I had completely missed that although it was staring me in the face all along.

I now have the 3D working ... and with a replacement graphics adapter of the same make and model (EVGA eGeForce 7200 GS w/512 MB). It appears I had two problems. One being lack of sufficient kernel virtual address space and the other being a failing graphics adapter. On the reboot immediately after changing the kernel stanza in grub's menu.lst to increase the virtual address space I lost all video. Not even the BIOS display worked and I got warning beeps from the motherboard. With the replacement adapter and a larger kernel virtual address space all is working. Thanks again.
Old 12-12-09, 05:55 AM   #5
Tavvva Capoblud

Hi. As far as I know, 185.18.36 is the latest driver in the Mandriva 2010 repository. So it looks like You've downloaded the driver from NVIDIA site, right? If so, then You should switch to the driver from the Mandriva repository, because it get's updated automatically and rebuilt automatically after each kernel update. Run drakx11 as root, then select the right graphics card (GeForce 6100 and later). If You have set the repositories correctly, You'll get a message about proprietary driver installation. Select YES, tune the settings and select OK. It might happen, that you'll stuck in a text console when you confirm the re-login dialog ... it doesn't matter .... just reboot the computer ...
Tavvva Capoblud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-09, 12:18 PM   #6
eraccusa
Business Owner

I am using the driver from the backport repositories. When I was having problems with the 185.18.36 driver I asked for help in chat.freenode.net:8001 #mandriva. It was suggested that I enable backports and get the latest driver from backports. That is where the driver install I am using originated. I am not going to backlevel to 185.18.36 at this point.

The problems I had were not due to the driver, but were due to a failing graphics card and probably insufficient kernel virtual address space. Both of these have been addressed.