Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-13-09, 03:12 AM   #13
Dragorep

Default Re: Overscan over HDMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbey View Post
I don't think nvidia have ever offered overscan correction in the linux drivers...
Wrong my friend.

Search for overscan at http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...ppendix-b.html

They gave....they took.......and now they are silent....
Dragorep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 04:41 AM   #14
snk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragorep View Post
Wrong my friend.

Search for overscan at http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...ppendix-b.html

They gave....they took.......and now they are silent....
There is one occurrence of overscan, namely TVOverScan. This can also be found from the readme of version 190.18. However, it is just what the name suggests: adjusting overscan for TV-out (i.e. composite, S-video, and component). It has never worked for HDMI output.
snk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 04:48 AM   #15
Dragorep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snk View Post
There is one occurrence of overscan, namely TVOverScan. This can also be found from the readme of version 190.18. However, it is just what the name suggests: adjusting overscan for TV-out (i.e. composite, S-video, and component). It has never worked for HDMI output.
Are you suggesting that if the original poster used component, instead of HDMI, then overscan correction would work?
Old 08-14-09, 03:24 AM   #16
sherbey

Unfortunately on my Acer aspire revo I have HDMI or VGA, no component.

Given that HDMI is a digital interface I can't really understand why LCD/LED/Plasma telly manufacturers would have overscan on it in the first place, but we are where we are.
sherbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 03:32 AM   #17
Dragorep

Would one of these work?
VGA component 3 RCA Cable for PC laptop to TV
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/C...-235835793.htm
Old 08-14-09, 06:36 AM   #18
sherbey

VGA is intrinsically RGB, whereas component is YUV. I've got absolutely no idea whether the ion chipset supports this, and if it does whether its enabled within the linux driver. VGA input on by telly allows 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 and nothing else, hence the HDMI use.
Old 08-14-09, 08:05 AM   #19
snk

I think you are out of luck. TVOverscan controls the TV encoder chip, but it is not present if there are no TV-out connectors.
snk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 03:39 PM   #20
theidealist

Well, I guess since we all agree this is actually more the fault of the display device than a fault of the driver, and it sounds like this is probably not something NVIDIA is likely to accomodate for in the next version of their Linux drivers (judging from their silence on the matter), I've been thinking about alternatives...

Since we're all likely using XGL and some form of compiz-fusion, it dawned on me that someone (maybe me?) might be able to write a compiz-fusion plugin that enabled a fluid resizing of the whole desktop similar to what happens when you have something like the desktop-cube plugin enabled and you decide to rotate the cube. Does that make sense? Is that something that anyone besides me would be interested in? I wonder about things like anti-aliasing artifacts and other sub-pixel sampling/reprojection issues, but it might look ok. It's not a true fix but it would at least enable us to see everything and feel like the desktop is not overscanned.

What do you guys think of this idea?
theidealist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-09, 11:19 PM   #21
Leech

The horrible thing is, that in the Windows Driver, they even updated it so that when you choose to re-size the desktop, it will tell you what the resolution actually is (for example on my TV, it's shrunk to 1862x1048 from 1920x1080.)

There IS a way to handle this in Xorg.conf, but it's tricky, especially with my RCA 42" TV.

I haven't been able to get it to work. It says it's out of Sync if I try to lower the resolution beyond 1920x1078 (if I recall, it was only a few lines of pixels.)

Truly, they just need to port the Re-Size Desktop portion of the Windows drivers over to Linux. This is a serious problem for anyone who wants to build a HTPC using Linux.

Leech
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 02:50 PM   #22
brianbloom

I could almost support/agree with you about this, but if this is so, can you explain to me why the stock generic drivers *work* and the nvidia ones *don't*? If it was some some obscure TV/display setting I would expect it to be the other way around, but the generic drivers fit my screen just fine. And I have a Toshiba display that just a few years ago was top of the line. How that might be considered either "faulty" or "feature starved" is unlikely in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhu View Post
My understanding of the problem is, that your displays are either missing a 1:1 pixel mapping option or it's hiding itself under some non-descriptive name in a well-hidden menu. Blaming NVidia for bad displays is hardly fair. It would however improve their reputation, if they decide to include options to circumvent faulty/feature-starved displays.

Luckily I did my research before buying me Samsung M86 and made sure it had the "Just Scan" option, which is Samsungs name for 1:1 pixel mapping.
brianbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-09, 05:48 PM   #23
sherbey

I've just upgraded my revo to ubuntu 9.10 and the jyavenard repositories for mythtv; this gives me 190.42 drivers for my screen and overscan correction for my telly. YAY! Cheers nvidia - probably a bit late but heartfelt none the less
Old 12-22-09, 05:05 AM   #24
Hayek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhu View Post
My understanding of the problem is, that your displays are either missing a 1:1 pixel mapping option or it's hiding itself under some non-descriptive name in a well-hidden menu. Blaming NVidia for bad displays is hardly fair. It would however improve their reputation, if they decide to include options to circumvent faulty/feature-starved displays.

Luckily I did my research before buying me Samsung M86 and made sure it had the "Just Scan" option, which is Samsungs name for 1:1 pixel mapping.
Thanks! It was indeed my Phillips TV which caused all the trouble. Enabling 1:1 pixel mapping solved the issue.

Edit: If I recall this correctly than only the FullHD standard requires TVs to support 1:1 pixel mapping.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote