Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-24-09, 12:46 AM   #1
sammy sung

Default Speedstep ?

Having some issues with speedstep (if thats what it is) It's disabled in bios but still the multiplier gets lowered from 9.5 to 6 when the cpu isn't under load.Clues anyone ? This is my first intel board in ages and the bios is a lot easier to get lost in than the nvidia boards i've had my last 4-5 pc's.

Any help is welcome,thanks.
Old 12-24-09, 01:02 AM   #2
agentkay

Default Re: Speedstep ?

Disable any C-states settings in the bios as well. Just disabling Speedstep (or also known as EIST) won't do the whole job especially if the power profile in Windows isn't set to "full power" as well.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 09:58 AM   #3
Yaboze

Yeah, check power settings in Windows as that can throttle stuff as well.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 11:53 AM   #4
Shikami

When you have modern CPU, core logic, and operating system you should only have Enhanced Speedstep or Speedstep enabled. C1E, the halt state, should be disabled in this case when these are used. If your operating system is the latter, what does not support Speedstep, then you use C1E and disable Speedstep. The latter would be before Windows XP.

To note with Asus motherboards ACPI (2.0) is often disabled and should be enabled.
Shikami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 03:11 PM   #5
betterdan

I have C1E turned on and EIST turned off.
Old 12-24-09, 06:22 PM   #6
sammy sung

I disabled C1E and now the mp stays at 9.5,thanks

Sidenote though,the last nvidia board i had before (P5N32sli-e /680 chipset) was a pain,barely broke 3ghz with the E6600 i had and everything over 3.4 ghz with this E8500 became unstable no matter wich settings/voltages used.This board however,i just set the fsb to 400 and thats all i did ,now it's solid as a rock at 3.8 ghz,what a difference a chipset makes
Old 12-25-09, 02:53 AM   #7
betterdan

C1E turns down the cpu multiplier and voltage when the cpu is in it's halt state doing virtually nothing. Since this only happens when the cpu is at idle or a low demand state (like right now it is in effect while I just have IE8 open) it won't really affect any performance in programs such as games.
Example: You are playing a game so the clock speeds and voltage stay at max levels until you quit the game and the computer is idling, it then drops the CPU speed and voltage while idling.

EIST adjusts CPU clock speed and voltage according to the demand being placed on the system. So if you are using a program that isn't using the CPU 100% it may drop the speed and voltage down.
Example: You are playing a game that isn't taxing the CPU 100% so EIST will adjust the CPU speed and voltage to try and match the demand being placed on the system such as lowering the CPU speed and voltage 25% or something while in the game.

I do not like to use EIST because when I am using the computer to play a game or edit video or whatever I want it always using the CPU at max speed and not trying to figure out if it should drop the speed here and there.
Old 12-25-09, 07:29 AM   #8
Shikami

Sammy Sung, you're welcome.

Betterdan, if you have a Core 2 Duo or a Core i7 then you will want to have EIST enabled, only. Especially, if you want Turbo Boost for the i7 to function correctly. You will not notice at all when it is lower in Mhz. BTW, it scales to the need. So if you are playing a game then it will be at maximum till you quit. As for AMD's power management, I think I would may agree with you, due to a bug. But it has been fixed and the chip in use may not be affected. http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3492&p=6
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3572&p=2

It can be a little disconcerting, but what I previously mentioned before is the thing to remember. Although, I did not mention how with Window XP you have to select a power management scheme. As for Vista and Windows 7 you just leave it at balanced. C1E is only meant for Windows 9x, and NT.

Old 12-25-09, 11:32 AM   #9
betterdan

Actually I've read a few things saying C1E is supported on Win XP with SP2 and above so anything lower doesn't support it.
I would rather use C1E because of it's either on or off function instead of the speed stepping EIST brings to the table and it's constant adjustment of CPU speed and voltage.

Here's a good link describing C1E and EIST http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2725
Old 12-27-09, 10:24 AM   #10
Shikami

I think this is a better link for information concerning the subject matter: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/611/1

Basically, since you are only using C1E this will be as far as you will go with power management. If you had Speedstep enabled you would have C1 to CX depending on the supported states of the processor.

I never really used power management till Vista and the Core 2 Duo. During my usage of Athlon 64's I preferred not to use CnQ at all. There were issues with it, even then. Not once did I think to myself, this is operating slowly with Speedstep though.
Old 12-27-09, 01:07 PM   #11
betterdan

Yes that was a good link describing all the different C states but I didn't see anything there that would make me decide to use EIST instead of C1E.
I only want to reduce power and CPU speed at the halt command so C1E is what I want and what I use.

By the way I also have my Nvidia drivers set to "prefer maximun performance" because I don't like it trying to constantly adjust the speed according to use either.