Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-21-09, 03:09 AM   #1
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard
Default EVGA Geforce GTX 260 SC

I've been playing games on windows 7 for a bit and I've had several issues pertaining to guild wars, Batman, and even Crysis.

My CPU is a Q6600 stable 3.6GHz, paired with the EVGA 780 board. The issues I am having is, well for instance in Batman Arkham Asylum I was playing, it was all fine getting 40-50 FPS. Suddenly I enter a room and boom 3.2FPS. As if it didn't load correctly. This happened in Crysis to, but I could get rid of it by switching a weapon, or running away from the area. I am O/Cing the card but it was happening in crysis before O/Cing. The card currently idles at 37c, and maxes out to 48c load so far. It seems to be random. Guild wars will sometimes load and freeze, not hard freeze, but freeze to the point I have to bring taskmanager up to get it to end. Once it loads, it don't freeze, but today it started up several times and froze several times.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit with 4GB of OCZ DDR2 RAM.

Anyone know what the cause of this is?
Old 12-29-09, 08:47 AM   #2
Burnt_Ram

Default Re: EVGA Geforce GTX 260 SC

whats the 12v rail amperage on that 550 watt?
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 01:16 PM   #3
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_Ram View Post
whats the 12v rail amperage on that 550 watt?
Its a BFG, they are pretty good. If I remember right they were 32. It had the correct cords for my video card, so I have both those plugged in. I don't think its my PSU, but it could be. I installed a newer driver for my motherboard, and most games are okay, but I haven't been home to try out the ones giving me fits since the update.
Old 12-29-09, 01:25 PM   #4
GTstrudl

I would guess that when freeze happening HD had in a busy status? If this is true, try to defrag HD and make sure your HD has plenty available GB.
GTstrudl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 04:18 PM   #5
Burnt_Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard View Post
Its a BFG, they are pretty good. If I remember right they were 32. It had the correct cords for my video card, so I have both those plugged in. I don't think its my PSU, but it could be. I installed a newer driver for my motherboard, and most games are okay, but I haven't been home to try out the ones giving me fits since the update.
imo your really pushing that PS to the max. 32a is not very good! im guessing that you need atleast 40a 12v rail or rails.

i went to this PS from a OCZ 700w because it was taxing it a bit too much for my liking. this Corsair has 60a 12v, where the OCZ 700w was only 45-50 if i remember right ...
Old 12-29-09, 04:32 PM   #6
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Quote:
imo your really pushing that PS to the max. 32a is not very good! im guessing that you need atleast 40a 12v rail or rails.

i went to this PS from a OCZ 700w because it was taxing it a bit too much for my liking. this Corsair has 60a 12v, where the OCZ 700w was only 45-50 if i remember right ...
I think mine has multiple rails. Its not causing any issues any 3dmark or anything. I am O/Cing to 724MHz core clock 1300MHz Memory, and 1553 something.
Old 12-29-09, 05:28 PM   #7
Burnt_Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard View Post
I think mine has multiple rails. Its not causing any issues any 3dmark or anything. I am O/Cing to 724MHz core clock 1300MHz Memory, and 1553 something.
try lowering your clocks. some games are more picky about overclocks than others and you have an extreme OC for that card. i know i lost performance beyond the clocks you see in my sig.
Old 12-31-09, 03:07 AM   #8
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Quote:
try lowering your clocks. some games are more picky about overclocks than others and you have an extreme OC for that card. i know i lost performance beyond the clocks you see in my sig.
I gained clock speed beyond this. I got my core clock to 765 stable with no memory overclock, and I had no artifacts. How I did that is beyond me, but my card was running at like 52-53c idle, and like 78c load, so that was way to hot opposed to it being at 725 and 1300 memory and being 42c idle and like 55c loaded.