Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-30-09, 03:47 AM   #25
AaronR
9800 GTX+ User

Default Re: Do You LIke Or Use Ubuntu? - Read This!

Ubuntu is the perfect noob distro. Why? Because that's what they're used to. They're used to expecting everything to be there with ease, and if something gets slow, buy quicker hardware. Ubuntu is what I started on, but that was years ago..
AaronR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-09, 04:04 AM   #26
Arup

Ubuntu can be made into as hardcore as any other so called hardcore distros. In fact Ubuntu makes it easier to compile your own stuff, even for a relative novice, compiling nvidia driver, mplayer etc. (try installing nvidia driver on the Fedora 12 and you will see my point) is far easier than on so called veteran distros and when we talk about speed, performance etc. all the benchmarks done at Phoronix has broken the so called myth of a high performance self complied veteran distro and so called noob distro like Ubuntu. Every tests done there showed Ubuntu to be as quick as the other expert distros and the few it lagged behind, it was in insignificant numbers.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 01:16 AM   #27
ir123
*BANNED*

I do not like the ubuntu-specific hacks that they throw in there. I'm somewhat familiar with them, though, because of work; one of those rare cases where somebody actually works with it.
ir123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 05:53 AM   #28
gradinaruvasile

I used ubuntu since 7.10 - both Gnome and Xfce - until 9.10 came out. Since i switched to debian testing and happy with it.

Ubuntu pros
- great, if not *the* best Linux live CD (the included installer is a good move IMO)
- many preinstalled programs, not only graphical, but the Linux administration programs aswell
- includes OOTB most firmware and the hardware drivers (jockey) program is very useful for beginners
- the 6 months upgrade cycle means staying up to date with kernels, and programs in general
- easy to use out of the box, it had most stuff i needed preinstalled
- large software repository + many PPAs, many programs are developed for Ubuntu

Ubuntu cons

- the 6 months upgrade cycle is a roller coaster of upgrading/reinstalling/customising your OS - i got tired of this
- the "stable" versions are *not* stable when launched, they are bug filled, only after 1-2 months are stabilised (well most of them) - they even may include serious bugs that might lead to data loss
- the dist-upgrades might break the system or some of its features might not work correctly, leading to frustration
- the developers have their own idea of doing things, not listening to the users - PulseAudio, new notifications system etc.
- the tight integration of PulseAudio and breaking sound in many older applications (most games i played included, wine also) - in contrast in Debian i use PulseAudio with bluetooth handsfree and all apps work with sound, be it old or new.
- many PPAs that have a mix of unrelated applications in them - this can lead to broken dependency system if not used with care - and for users with less experience may be a showstopper

Well, Ubuntu is stable most of time, i very rarely seen X server breaking or serious stuff like this, when set up right it works like its expected. But the frequent version upgrades are a real headache, almost surely something breaks because of them and needs time to repair and get around it.

I switched to Debian because i wanted a relatively up-to-date system with rolling upgrades.
And i found that there are fewer repos than in Ubuntu containing most of those packages, making life easier. The sound works well in all lapplications. However its a bit more time consuming to set it up (fewer out-of-the-box applications), but once done its really stable, everything works. And you *can* install packages made for Ubuntu if you know your way around the dependency system.
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-10, 08:51 AM   #29
Arup

For those not willing to try out new Ubuntu every 6 months, please install the LTS version which has three year span, the six month new distro is a boon for people like myself who get to try out and give feedback on new stuff and approach for desktop linux, I have not faced any particular issue with any of the distros so far but for my institute PCs, I run LTS and nothing else.
Old 04-10-10, 02:04 PM   #30
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arup View Post
Ubuntu can be made into as hardcore as any other so called hardcore distros. In fact Ubuntu makes it easier to compile your own stuff, even for a relative novice, compiling nvidia driver, mplayer etc. (try installing nvidia driver on the Fedora 12 and you will see my point) is far easier than on so called veteran distros and when we talk about speed, performance etc. all the benchmarks done at Phoronix has broken the so called myth of a high performance self complied veteran distro and so called noob distro like Ubuntu. Every tests done there showed Ubuntu to be as quick as the other expert distros and the few it lagged behind, it was in insignificant numbers.
Phoronix benchmarks are hardly proof, it's just their version of benchmarking and their memory benchmarks of the Desktop Environments were laughable.

What they don't show is speed and responsiveness and a lot of people say the source distros are faster because they're compiled with optimisations and do 'feel' more responsive. Also with source base distros, you don't need to install devel packages .

As for your remark about Fedora and the NVIDIA driver. Fedora is a pure FOSS distro, only third party repos provide the NVIDIA driver, which you can easily setup). Ubuntu(Canonical) bend over backwards to make proprietary software more easier to install, Fedora don't but like other distros(openSUSE for example) provide repos for such software which are not supported by them.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-10, 12:49 AM   #31
Dizzle7677

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
The sound works well in all lapplications. However its a bit more time consuming to set it up (fewer out-of-the-box applications), but once done its really stable, everything works. And you *can* install packages made for Ubuntu if you know your way around the dependency system.
Time consuming as opposed to what?

The thought of using something like 8.04 now would be just pure agony. I don't know how we did it then but we did.

Since I've been using Ubuntu 8.04 the builds get better and better. Everyone says that the Ubuntu distro gets all the credit for other people's hard work is somewhat true in the media reporting. If I could nail down the Gnome build process then "Ubuntu" would be solely mean the Synaptic application/libraries and the branding icons(which I've done away with) since I build Xorg-xserver/Linux kernel and all the other important applications I need myself. Maybe by the next release cycle(10.10) I won't even need those.
Dizzle7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-10, 08:07 AM   #32
gradinaruvasile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle7677 View Post
Time consuming as opposed to what?

The thought of using something like 8.04 now would be just pure agony. I don't know how we did it then but we did.

Since I've been using Ubuntu 8.04 the builds get better and better. Everyone says that the Ubuntu distro gets all the credit for other people's hard work is somewhat true in the media reporting. If I could nail down the Gnome build process then "Ubuntu" would be solely mean the Synaptic application/libraries and the branding icons(which I've done away with) since I build Xorg-xserver/Linux kernel and all the other important applications I need myself. Maybe by the next release cycle(10.10) I won't even need those.
I was referring to the installing+setting up Debian. Because it has lesser preinstalled stuff (compared to Ubuntu), it takes a bit longer to put everything in place.

Also, using Debian "testing" you will get a "rolling release" - components will be updated constantly so it stays up to date. No 6 months reinstalling routine. I never had any stability problems with it (running it on 3 computers) despite its "testing" name, its actually better than Ubuntu (which i used from 7.10-9.10). Also, the packages are better maintained than in Ubuntu - meaning less time to get them upgraded.
Ubuntu LTS releases have the aging problem - if you want more up to date programs, you have to add various PPAs that can lead to dependency problems.
In contrast Debian stable has a backports repository that has the latest kernels and latest up to date versions of various apps (OpenOffice, Gimp, Ekiga, Pidgin etc).
All in all Debian has better package maintaining system (probably because there are many package maintainers), less repositories needed because most apps are in the main repositories.
The extra "glitter" Ubuntu has doesnt worth it from the functional point of view for more experienced users.
For beginners, it is better than Debian, i agree here, it has a kickass live-cd. But this beginner experience sometimes is made hard by the various developer imposed decisions - PulseAudio, window buttons placing (it is about defaults, most new people dont change them when trying a live-cd) etc.
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-10, 10:19 AM   #33
BoscoBearbank

I use it. I like it. But I also use Fedora. I like Fedora. And I also currently use a bastardized version of Mint 9/Lubuntu 10.04/Ubuntu 10.04 on my desktop PC. I like the bastard too. And I liked Mandriva 10.0 when I had it installed.

Is one better than another? In my case, not really. Hardware compatibility is a key factor in deciding which distro to run; some distros definitely do work better with some hardware configurations than with others. In my case,Fedora is the only distro that offers a version of the nouveau driver that actually runs and doesn't crash X or give me a blank screen; with all other distros I've tried, I need to use the proprietary Nvidia driver. NetworkManager just works in all of the above cases. Apt vs. rpm, synaptic vs. yumex, etc... is not an issue - they all just work.

Bottom line: If it works for you, and you like it, then use it; if not try another distro
BoscoBearbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 07:32 PM   #34
praka123
Linux user

Send a message via Yahoo to praka123

Using Debian Squeeze(apt pinned with sid).
Old 06-14-10, 09:01 PM   #35
Arup

sidux does it best for rolling release but even hardcore debian users will admit that for stability its better to go with older tested packages which is what Ubuntu does with its LTS. Debian testing also doesn't get security updates and for that you would have to go back to lenny repositories.