Well if the options took you will see:

Code:
NVRM: RmPowerManagement: 3
NVRM: RMPowerManagement: 4
messages in /var/log/messages as well as a char option for the RegDwords:

Code:
modinfo nvidia | grep Dwords
Do you have these?

You can also check the nvidia-settings-manager and go to Powermizer and make sure it is set to maximum performance, lower clock speeds should be greyed out

If these don't appear to be true, you need to make sure you correctly added the module options for your distro of Gnu/Linux
PhillyFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 03:08 AM   #50
shaundennie

Default Re: GeForce Go 7900 GS black flash screen

I find it sad but laughable that this thread has been brought back to life. On linux, XID type bugs, PowerMizer problems and general nVidia based laptop card problems have been the status quo for nearly two years (possibly longer but that's as far back as I go with nvidia and linux laptops). As an engineer, I can understand why these problems might persist: Dealing with a moving target kernel, third party vendors that simply don't care about linux support (Toshiba) (though when the nvidia guys on this forum recommend a BIOS update, that actually is a really great starting point), dealing with new ideas and ways of rendering a desktop (compiz) and the fact that the nvidia laptop market is, frankly, tiny (nvidia desktop cards are, in my experience, awesome).

Having said that, it's still frustrating that nvidia hasn't fixed the most glaring bug even though it seems incredibly trivial. The vast majority of the laptop problems (XID, performance, etc) are related to PowerMizer but, in most of the cases I've seen (that are in the power of nvidia to fix), the simple solution is: DISABLE POWERMIZER! (Which is what the PerfLevelSrc hack essentially does).

I really am baffled as to why after 2 years the driver isn't more laptop friendly. An upset user that understands what is causing the problems and the hacks available to fix them can literally get a great running nvidia laptop card by hobbling together some scripts (in an afternoon...). The visibility of the PowerMizer settings and the lack of ability to configure them in recent nvidia drivers is even more frustrating. If a random user can figure out that an "nvidia-settings -q all > /dev/null" tickles something in the card that forces it to full power and the new PowerMizer display knows when the machine is on battery/AC, it should be straightforward to add 2 combo boxes labeled "AC" and "Battery" with the following selections: "Go Fast" (Powermizer 2), "Go Slow but save power" (Powermizer 0), "Go kinda fast" (Powermizer 1) and, "Try to go fast when I need it" (Current dynamic scaling). This is not a feature that requires 2 years of discussion and planning, it's a weekend project.

In fact, I've worked myself into a slight frenzy here and might just write a GTK app that has those two combo boxes. I don't know if CoolBits can be utilized to force a downclock but, even as a non-nvidia engineer, with only scripts and known hacks to work with, it really does seem like a weekend project...
shaundennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 09:08 AM   #51
PhillyFloyd

There comes a point when you have to just laugh about it, otherwise you "spin yourself into a frenzy." With more and more users utilizing 3D desktop managers, I am sure this thread will be resurrected many more times. I think the inheirent problem with nvidia, and with most companies out to make a buck (which is no fault of their own) is that legacy hardware that has issues with newer software isn't seen as a big issue, or worth the time to troubleshoot and fix since the consumer already owns the hardware so nvidia isn't losing money or customers. Most nvidia development with the powermizer and the driver in general is all post 8800 series now. I don't think we will ever get this into a future driver.

Tack on that less than 2% of the market with nvidia cards are running Gnu/Linux and you know, if I was in nvidia I probably wouldn't care either since those who want this problem fixed will more likely than not figure it out for themselves.

So yeah, it is very laughable, on many levels.

Have a great weekend.
PhillyFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 08:36 PM   #52
Srikar

I'm currently facing this screen freezing issue and Im using Mandriva 2008.1 on a HP dv9000t laptop, which has a 7600 Card. I have the 169.12 drivers installed. Could anyone please suggest how I could set the PowerMizer option to the full throttle in Mandriva ?
Srikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 12:10 PM   #53
Srikar

Any help on how to resolve the flicker issue on Mandriva 2008.1 ?
Srikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 03:56 PM   #54
Spongebob88

I have had this problem since I first tried Linux and I am grateful for the solutions posted in this thread. I locked the gpu in full performance mode and then underclocked it to prevent excess heat and battery drain. After doing this I haven't had any of those damn flickers on my machine.

My question is that it doesn't seem to save my underclocked settings when I reboot, and I have to manually change it every day. Is there any way to save these settings or to create a script that will do it for me(The main fix works perfectly and I never need to change it, just the underclocking part)?
Spongebob88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 08:50 PM   #55
pferraro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob88
I have had this problem since I first tried Linux and I am grateful for the solutions posted in this thread. I locked the gpu in full performance mode and then underclocked it to prevent excess heat and battery drain. After doing this I haven't had any of those damn flickers on my machine.

My question is that it doesn't seem to save my underclocked settings when I reboot, and I have to manually change it every day. Is there any way to save these settings or to create a script that will do it for me(The main fix works perfectly and I never need to change it, just the underclocking part)?
Add the following command to your session startup:
nvidia-settings -a GPUOverclockingState=1 -a GPU2DClockFreqs=200,300 -a GPU3DClockFreqs=500,600

Adjust the 2D and 3D clock frequencies to your desired values.
pferraro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-09, 03:24 PM   #56
Nexus Scorpion

This bug continues to occur to this day. I experience it OOTB with 185.18.36 on Ubuntu Karmic 64-bit on a Dell XPS M1710 with a 7900 GS. Bug is tracked at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...80/+bug/164589

I have used the various powermizer options to configure static battery/AC settings instead of adaptive clocking, which seems to be what causes this bug. If NVIDIA isn't going to fix adaptive clocking on these cards then can you guys at least disable it by default for this chipset series and use static battery/AC settings? Such a trivially fixable bug should not be happening OOTB.
Nexus Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-09, 03:34 PM   #57
kgroombr
Using Linux Since 1995

I have a 7900GS card installed in a dual boot XP and Gentoo Linux system and even XP has this problem with recent drivers. The Micro$oft supplied driver is the only one I have found not to have this problem with XP.

Ken
kgroombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-09, 03:56 PM   #58
pijalu

You still have hope ?

Note: on Ubuntu 9.10 64b - driver 185.18.36 seems to not honor PowerMizer perf level 0x3333 settings (low low speed, trying to avoid another GPU meltdown)
nvidia-setting still shows clock speed moving...

With 173.14.20: no problems...
pijalu is offline   Reply With Quote