Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-02-10, 11:24 AM   #13
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd
Default Re: The most stable operating system ever

Blue screens are very rare with 7, i have had none with beta, none with 7 ultimate on home machine and none on works laptop 7 pro. The bsod's you guys have are almost certainly driver related or hardware that is not in the 7 compatability list.

So i still say that 7 is by far the best windows eva.
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 11:37 AM   #14
Airbrushkid

I just found out what cause the last bsod. It was a usb setting in Win 7.
Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 GB SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 1 -2TB & 2 -1TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1200 1200W l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l 3 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors
Airbrushkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 11:44 AM   #15
Redeemed

As to the Linux comment- mileage will vary dependant upon hardware configuration and user experience.

There have been multiple occassions where, in Ubuntu, I'd simply be checking for updates and the computer would completely lock up or return an error message.

Claiming Linux to be more stable that Windows is really comparing apples to oranges. If you were to remove Windows from every computer and replace it with a linux distro I'm sure failure rate would skyrocket to... oh... near 100% mostly due to user error. However, the same can be said about Windows.

I've been using 7 Ultimate x64 for a little while now and have no complaints. Others seem to be experiencing problems. Whether it's 7's fault or not is hard to tell- could be a bad driver. I know many here like to rock beta drivers, this could be a reason for the BSODs.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 11:51 AM   #16
Drolfrawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
As to the Linux comment- mileage will vary dependant upon hardware configuration and user experience.

There have been multiple occassions where, in Ubuntu, I'd simply be checking for updates and the computer would completely lock up or return an error message.

Claiming Linux to be more stable that Windows is really comparing apples to oranges. If you were to remove Windows from every computer and replace it with a linux distro I'm sure failure rate would skyrocket to... oh... near 100% mostly due to user error. However, the same can be said about Windows.

I've been using 7 Ultimate x64 for a little while now and have no complaints. Others seem to be experiencing problems. Whether it's 7's fault or not is hard to tell- could be a bad driver. I know many here like to rock beta drivers, this could be a reason for the BSODs.
+1 and for linux sometimes you just look at it the wrong way and it starts begging for a recompile.........eeeeeeeeeeeek flame war

Old 01-02-10, 12:01 PM   #17
Yaboze

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate RC and Retail on the rig in my sig have been very stable, no BSDOD, yet.

That's not to say certain things did need a tweak or so to deal with Windows 7, but it's been stable.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 12:09 PM   #18
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist View Post
I've been running 7 64-bit on my new i5 rig for a few days and already got 2 BSODs related to wdf010000.sys (kernel driver) ...

So, no.
You must have some faulty hardware. I'd had Win7 64 since the beta days and I have never had one BSOD.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 12:16 PM   #19
Capt. Picard

I haven't got the most powerful rig in the world ... actually it's a pretty weak-ass system (AMD 3200, 1GB, 6600GT) but I installed Windows 7 and then Batman Arkham Asylum and it ran sloooooowly (the game not the OS). There was anyway too much fluff in 7 (as there was in Vista) so I reverted back XP (Batman runs fine now). I'll set up my system to dual-boot one of these days.
Old 01-02-10, 12:23 PM   #20
Drolfrawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Picard View Post
I haven't got the most powerful rig in the world ... actually it's a pretty weak-ass system (AMD 3200, 1GB, 6600GT) but I installed Windows 7 and then Batman Arkham Asylum and it ran sloooooowly (the game not the OS). There was anyway too much fluff in 7 (as there was in Vista) so I reverted back XP (Batman runs fine now). I'll set up my system to dual-boot one of these days.
Make it so................Engage

Seriously you probs could get 7 with more ram, is the 3200 chip socket A?if so will be a no go

Old 01-02-10, 12:26 PM   #21
Redeemed

You also might consider upgrading some time soon Picard.

Though, since you've waited so long that might be tough. Procs for s939 are becoming harder and harder to find at a decent price.

You might have to start putting some money aside every month. For just over $300 (not sure what that'd convert to in your currency) I built my older sister a fairly decent rig- though she's using on-board graphics. Maybe build a comparable rig using onboard until you save up enough money to get decent dedicated graphics.

Either way- you're system is old. In another year or two it might struggle running Office.
Old 01-02-10, 12:39 PM   #22
grey_1

Retail Win 7 64bit, no BSOD here either.

I'm keeping a "Yet" handy on the sidelines....
Old 01-02-10, 12:42 PM   #23
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolfrawd View Post
Make it so................Engage

Seriously you probs could get 7 with more ram, is the 3200 chip socket A?if so will be a no go
If I recall his is s939... one of the first.

So he could throw some more RAM in there. Mobo probably supports up to 4GB. It then becomes a decision of what is more cost-effective, adding more RAM or getting a new mobo + CPU + RAM. I'm imagine that for what it'd cost him to get 2GB+ of DDR400 RAM he could at least buy a new AthlonII x2 chip with a new mobo... he'd then have to purchase some DDR2 RAM and maybe a new video card. If that 6600GT is PCI-e he could just use it until he had the cash to get something a bit newer.
Old 01-02-10, 12:46 PM   #24
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolfrawd View Post
Blue screens are very rare with 7, i have had none with beta, none with 7 ultimate on home machine and none on works laptop 7 pro. The bsod's you guys have are almost certainly driver related or hardware that is not in the 7 compatability list.

So i still say that 7 is by far the best windows eva.
Drivers have always been a problem on Windows and continue to be, so nothing has changed.

It's the same old story, blame drivers, and hardware and if people still don't have a clue, it must be the users fault because true Windows experts don't have such noob issues.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote