Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-05-10, 06:00 AM   #1
StarShip

Default G210M not working with F12_X64 on Asus UL50VT

Removed the Nouveau module and installed nVidia module using Leigh's guide.

Installed on an Asus UL50VT laptop which also has an Intel integrated video and a G210M
Both GPU's are detected, the pci id for the G210M as per lspci is 1:0:0 , Intel is at 0:2:0

Added BusID to xorg.config in the device section which directs it to use the G210M as required when you have more than one gpu based on what I found in the nvidia readme.

xorg.config was generated using the nvidia-xconfig

Errors:
Xorg log shows:
Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:1:0:0

Messages shows:
kernel: NVRM: Failed to copy vbios to the system memory
NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed.

Tried the vmalloc stuff in the kernel line with no change.
It wont run X so it's a chore to post log info.

I see that this GPU is used on the Sony VIO with a similar configuration, anyone have it working?
Not interested in the hyprid power switching between the Intel integrated GPU just interested in using the G210M.

I understand the Fedora packages aren't exactly the same as the ones offered by nVidia, they are using standard libraries they claim are modified by nVidia.
Does anyone have this working?
StarShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-10, 08:18 AM   #2
kwizart

Default Re: G210M not working with F12_X64 on Asus UL50VT

Use nvidia-config-display enable
You aren't expected to use nvidia-xconfig to configure xorg.conf before a reboot, this give well known problem:
http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia
kwizart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-10, 09:43 AM   #3
randomas

If you do manage to get it to work please post detailed instructions. I have a ul30vt and haven't managed to get the nvidia card working yet.

Thanks.

BTW the g210m cards now seem to be unsupported.
randomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-10, 10:30 AM   #4
StarShip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwizart View Post
Use nvidia-config-display enable
You aren't expected to use nvidia-xconfig to configure xorg.conf before a reboot, this give well known problem:
http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia
Thanks for the reply but I still receive the same errors.

I added BusID PCI:1:0:0 to the device section, the first time I booted it couldn't find the GPU.

With BusID X finds the GPU but failed same as before, Xorg.config is more streamlined now.

BTW The module is loading without issue as confirmed by lscpi and lsmod.

I'm wondering if this is a bios issue in that its an either or but not both.
I've seen posts for the Sony that discuss ACPI enabling the card some how.

If lspci reports the card is active and the module loads it should work....I assume... that is unless I'm missing something.
Old 01-05-10, 10:36 AM   #5
StarShip

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomas View Post
If you do manage to get it to work please post detailed instructions. I have a ul30vt and haven't managed to get the nvidia card working yet.

Thanks.

BTW the g210m cards now seem to be unsupported.
I will certainly post a solution when I reach one... keep your fingers crossed!

The G210M is definitely supported by all versions of the Linux drivers including beta, I checked.
Old 01-07-10, 11:01 AM   #6
Dr. Funkenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarShip View Post
I will certainly post a solution when I reach one... keep your fingers crossed!

The G210M is definitely supported by all versions of the Linux drivers including beta, I checked.

I think they did drop the support for it. I know that it used to be listed as a supported card..... that was one of the main reasons I purchased this Dell laptop..... and if you read the README file it is on the list, but that list also states that the newer and more official list is the one that is posted on the official NVIDIA download page, and the G 210M is not on the list of supported products for both the beta driver download page, and the official driver download page..... check out those 2 pages:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...64_195.30.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...64_190.53.html

This is the less-official README page (with the G 210M on it): ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...rtedchips.html

I really would like to use the dedicated G 210M instead of the integrated G 9400M that's on the Dell Studio XPS 13 motherborad..... I only had my linux install going for an hour or 2, so I never got around to tackling that problem, but the NVIDIA settings manager only had the G 9400 M listed, and it only said "integrated" instead of dedicated.

I made this thread because I'm not sure about this: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143337

As you can see in that thread link above, I was able to get Archlinux up and running (but it was only using the G 9400 M)..... until it broke and stopped running for me. I still don't know what the problem was, but for some reason it stopped booting into a graphical environment so I decided to reformat the entire disk with Windows 7 since the Hybrid SLI had been working very nicely..... but I really want to use Linux.
Dr. Funkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 11:58 AM   #7
StarShip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein View Post
I think they did drop the support for it. I know that it used to be listed as a supported card..... that was one of the main reasons I purchased this Dell laptop..... and if you read the README file it is on the list, but that list also states that the newer and more official list is the one that is posted on the official NVIDIA download page, and the G 210M is not on the list of supported products for both the beta driver download page, and the official driver download page..... check out those 2 pages:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...64_195.30.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...64_190.53.html

This is the less-official README page (with the G 210M on it): ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...rtedchips.html
The driver readme has it listed and I believe the question was addressed by Arron somewhere in the forum... can't recall which post, he stated that it's supported.

Quote:
I really would like to use the dedicated G 210M instead of the integrated G 9400M that's on the Dell Studio XPS 13 motherborad..... I only had my linux install going for an hour or 2, so I never got around to tackling that problem, but the NVIDIA settings manager only had the G 9400 M listed, and it only said "integrated" instead of dedicated.
I looked at your xorg.confg and I don't see the "BusID" "PCI:X:X:X" to the device section, your looks like it should be set to PCI:2:0:0 for the G210, can you post your X.org.log?
The 9400 would be PCI:3:0:0.
You need to specify BusID when a unit has two GPU's installed.
You may want to try the 9400 first and see how it goes.
Quote:
As you can see in that thread link above, I was able to get Archlinux up and running (but it was only using the G 9400 M)..... until it broke and stopped running for me. I still don't know what the problem was, but for some reason it stopped booting into a graphical environment so I decided to reformat the entire disk with Windows 7 since the Hybrid SLI had been working very nicely..... but I really want to use Linux.
I ran mint live and it worked fine on my intel gpu but I use Fedora which is dead on both GPU'S! There is a bug in the intel i915 driver or X windows.
Old 01-07-10, 12:49 PM   #8
Dr. Funkenstein

Quote:
The driver readme has it listed and I believe the question was addressed by Arron somewhere in the forum... can't recall which post, he stated that it's supported.

I looked at your xorg.confg and I don't see the "BusID" "PCI:X:X:X" to the device section, your looks like it should be set to PCI:2:0:0 for the G210, can you post your X.org.log?
The 9400 would be PCI:3:0:0.
You need to specify BusID when a unit has two GPU's installed.
You may want to try the 9400 first and see how it goes.

I ran mint live and it worked fine on my intel gpu but I use Fedora which is dead on both GPU'S! There is a bug in the intel i915 driver or X windows.

Thank you for the reply, and I appreciate the tip about the "BusID" for the G 210M. I was about to do that until my install became very buggy and unusable. I had been planning on adding the G 210M "BusID" to xorg.conf (I hadn't found the exact way to do it yet), and then configure it to use "performance" in the NVIDIA settings manager or with RegistryDwords in the xorg.conf file. But I ran into other problems that kept me from doing all of that. (like I said, I only had Arch on there for about an hour or two before I had to wipe it off and replace it with windows, so I don't have the Xorg.log to post)

As for the driver README file, it has this written at the very top of it:

Quote:
Appendix A. Supported NVIDIA GPU Products

For the most complete and accurate listing of supported GPUs, please see the Supported Products List, available from the NVIDIA Linux x86 Graphics Driver download page. Please go to http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html, follow the Archive link under the Linux x86 heading, follow the link for the 195.30 driver, and then go to the Supported Products List.

So when I went to both of those pages, there was no G 210M listed. But if someone from NVIDIA said it was supported, then cool.

So like I said before, I only had Archlinux running for a few hours, then I left the room and when I cam back my xfce4 terminal was all buggy for some reason, so I rebooted and that's when I could only login to a console screen..... I didn't know what happened so I un-installed the last few packages that I had added (laptop-mode-tools, cpufrequtils)..... no luck. So then I uninstalled xfce4 (which I start from startx in my /etc/inittab), then I installed gnome and added gdm to my inittab, rebooted, and now I had a buggy gnome gdm screen that had a nice desktop wallpaper but it wouldn't allow me to login..... so I gave up, wiped linux off the disk, reinstalled windows 7, and figured I would do some research about the G 210M before I started the install process again.

Tonight I'm going to install Archlinux again and I'll try to configure it to use the G 210M in xorg.conf, hopefully it will work..... and if I get the same buggy weirdness, then this time I'll run the bug report shell script and try to pinpoint what is actually happening.

Thanks for giving my other thread a look over, do you mind writing the exact code that I need to add to xorg.conf (and what section to put it into), thanks.

Old 01-07-10, 01:33 PM   #9
StarShip

Code:
BusId	    "PCI:2:0:0"
Above is for the G210M on your machine, change the 2 to 3 for the G9400M

Note: For those following along at home your PCI bus ID may be different, verify with lspci -v

Sample of my xorg.config.

Code:
Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	Driver      "nvidia"
	Option     "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
	BusId	      "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
Good luck !
Old 01-07-10, 03:43 PM   #10
Dr. Funkenstein

Quote:
Code:
BusId	    "PCI:2:0:0"
Above is for the G210M on your machine, change the 2 to 3 for the G9400M

Note: For those following along at home your PCI bus ID may be different, verify with lspci -v

Sample of my xorg.config.

Code:
Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	Driver      "nvidia"
	Option     "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
	BusId	      "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
Good luck !
Thank you very much, I'll give it a try tonight.
Old 01-08-10, 04:17 PM   #11
Dr. Funkenstein

After a succesful install of Archlinux and Gnome, I was unable to get the G 210M working with the BusID "PCI:2:0:0".

So I have added my DSDT.dsl onto the Ubuntu bug page that is trying to fix this issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/312756

I've decided to reinstall Windows 7 and wait until this issue gets fixed by NVIDIA or a distro like Ubuntu. Oh well.
Old 01-11-10, 09:26 AM   #12
Tinyboss

I tried setting the bus ID in my xorg.conf as well. Unfortunately, it caused my system to hang with a corrupted screen. I had to boot into recovery mode and revert the change. My configuration is the same as Dr. Funk's, and I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic.

I've been using Linux for several years now, and going back to Windows is just not an option, even though it means the 210m I paid extra for is doing nothing but adding a few ounces of weight (and possibly some battery drain?) to my laptop. I eagerly anticipate a solution.
Tinyboss is offline   Reply With Quote