Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-05-10, 12:14 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Guy Spends $300k on Virtual Property

I enjoy virtual spaces as much as the next person, but to actually plunk down $330,000 (real money) to purchase one in Entropia Universe... /boggle.
The company behind Entropia Universe announced the auction of a virtual property (the Crystal Palace Space Station) in early December, and someone going by the name of "Buzz Erik Lightyear" made that $330,000 winning bid. This isn't the first time Entropia Universe has auctioned off an expensive virtual property. The previous record was set by Jon "NEVERDIE" Jacobs in 2005 when he purchased a Virtual Space Resort for $100,000.

Entropia uses a real cash economy. For Lightyear's sake, I hope the space station is loaded with virtual hookers.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/52...rtual-Property
Old 01-05-10, 01:13 PM   #2
lduguay
Un-Ripped

Default Re: Guy Spends $300k on Virtual Property

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Entropia uses a real cash economy. For Lightyear's sake, I hope the space station is loaded with virtual hookers.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/52...rtual-Property
Sounds like a good idea.
Unrelated - What if that lightyear guy dies, can he write up his space station on his will?

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-10, 03:07 PM   #3
Roliath

Must be nice to have that type of disposable income
Old 01-05-10, 03:18 PM   #4
Vardant

I'm not sure, but I think I've read somewhere, that he used the in game cash which is the equivalent to $300k. He could have made all that money in game without spending anything. You can change them for the real thing, but the article said, that he can probably make even more money now with that property.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 08:24 PM   #5
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
I'm not sure, but I think I've read somewhere, that he used the in game cash which is the equivalent to $300k. He could have made all that money in game without spending anything. You can change them for the real thing, but the article said, that he can probably make even more money now with that property.
The game cash is the same thing as real cash. It exchanges 10:1 with the US dollar in either direction.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 09:26 AM   #6
Sgt_Pitt

Yeah after reading that article i went and spent 20 bucks in the game.

I put some low level crap on the broker that i looted and i must've mispriced it because the auction window is very complicated.

Anyway turns out someone also must've misbought it and i ended up with 230 bucks lmao.

Needless to say i pulled the money out
Old 01-09-10, 02:53 PM   #7
CaptnStubing

That guy is a moron
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 06:19 PM   #8
Atomizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
That guy is a moron
Or a genius, if he makes money off it, more then what he originally spent, heck, I would do that too, almost zero effort.

Though, I hate this whole "using real money for virtual goods" thing, its rather bs.
Atomizer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-10, 06:15 AM   #9
ST:DS9

A co-worker of mine has been playing this game since 2003, and has made a profit $15,000 in 7 years. He told me that this guy who just spent 300K could easily make his money back and then a lot more.
ST:DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 01:30 AM   #10
Smee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST:DS9 View Post
A co-worker of mine has been playing this game since 2003, and has made a profit $15,000 in 7 years. He told me that this guy who just spent 300K could easily make his money back and then a lot more.
I made 70k in one year on Everquest, I had to pay taxes on it too.
Jonathan Yantis (of Yantis Enterprises, later sold to IGE for millions) called me and wanted to know where I was getting all my platinum lol.

Most of the money I made was purely by luck, if anyone who was into EQ wants to hear the story, I'll share it.

I would just post it, but it's kind of a long drawn out story, so if no one cares, I'll spare myself the typing
Smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 06:59 PM   #11
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
I made 70k in one year on Everquest, I had to pay taxes on it too.
Jonathan Yantis (of Yantis Enterprises, later sold to IGE for millions) called me and wanted to know where I was getting all my platinum lol.

Most of the money I made was purely by luck, if anyone who was into EQ wants to hear the story, I'll share it.

I would just post it, but it's kind of a long drawn out story, so if no one cares, I'll spare myself the typing
i definitely want to hear it
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 11:03 PM   #12
Smee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody View Post
i definitely want to hear it
Well, since you asked

If you go back to the first year or so, and remember trading at that time was mostly done in the EC tunnel (no AH yet) I was a big time trader, but not the biggest on the server by any stretch.. I was purely doing it as hobby, it was one of the things in MMO's that I really enjoy.. anyway, this guy sends me a tell (in horrible chinglish) asking how much for my Golden Efreeti boots.. "not for sale I tell him" at this point in the game, they bring about 10,000 plat but they were rare as hell (because it was always camped, and every caster wanted them) So he fires back.. "I pay you 40k plat"

Holy crap, ok... sold, he continues inspecting me, How much for necklace of superiority... I answer the same, not for sale.. too hard to replace.. He offers up 50k plat.. ok, now I know whats up, he has a endless supply of plat.. this goes on till my Druid is damn near naked, save for a few no-drop items from the plane of fear.

I remembered my brother in law (who got me into EQ) telling me that people were paying CRAZY amounts for plat and EQ items on Ebay, At this time 10,000 plat was selling for $300+.. I knew I was sitting on a gold mine if I could just deal with this guy exclusively.. He didn't care about RL $$ He just wanted his little guildmates decked out in the best gear possible.

Just from the gear he bought from my Druid, I had more than 250k plat (roughly 6k in real life cash)
I knew this guy was hacking, and I had to corral him because he was completely reckless and I knew he would be banned shortly.. So I asked him if he could speak English on par with his typing.. his answer:
"little" lol.

Short story long, I called the guy, he explained that he was using a hex editor and could create as much as he wanted.. I did my best to explain to him, that his behavior and reckless overspending would draw a ton of unwanted attention, I first asked him if he wanted RL cash, or just items.. "Just item for guild" was his answer.. Ok, get me a list.. I'll get it all together, you won't be banned, your guild will love you and I'll be fricking RICH!!!! Ok, I didn't say the last part, but I was thinking it.

So I went about my happy way collecting his guild's gear in the tunnel, he in turn overpaid me for it by about 1,000%
Just when I hit the $70,000 mark on Ebay platinum sales, the Devs fixed the hack, and My main account, along with His main account and 7-8 of his guidmates were perma-banned.

I had bought like 7 accounts to spread around the plat I had for just such a occasion, I had them in various family members names etc.. But they still banned all but 2 of them.
Had I been able to sell all the plat I had before the ban... I would have made close to 3-400k (Rough estimate.. I had already screwed the servers economy, My last 10k plat sold, was down to just over $200 (it was just over $300 5-6 weeks earlier) This was well before you could move servers.. If I could have server moved several toons around, I would have made a FORTUNE!

Anyways... told you it was a long story.
Smee is offline   Reply With Quote