Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-26-09, 06:39 PM   #13
cajual

Default Re: Windows vs Linux

These threads are dumb because most Linux users dual boot with windows and are not HARDLINE Pro-Linux, but rather, utilize both for their strengths. Everyone knows that Windows is great for proprietary software and how most of the **** on the market is designed for it [Windows] due to its inherent popularity. However, once you learn the terminal, you find the idea of DOS to be rather mundane and archaic, especially since it has all but been phased out of Windows. I find the strengths of Linux to be how powerful the user is, the options to change and integrate almost everything, and the fact that it isn't super simplified for the lowest common denominator; see: Windows 7. The fact that Windows is becoming ever closer to OSX should have all the MS fanboys up in arms, but partisan hatred seems to be persistent, and when Microsoft and Apple are pushing out $200 USD operating systems that are exactly the same save for naming schemes, those of us who have mastered and love the world of Linux will be laughing from the sidelines. Fedora, FreeBSD, OpenSUSE, Redhat, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, LinuxMint, and other distributions offer the type of versatility you just can not find in Windows, so save the "but my $8219 COMPUTER WORKS BESTEST ON WINDOWS 7 BRAH 3182 FPS BRAH", and I will use my 3 year old laptop and Ubuntu to show you that you are just bad at video games.
cajual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-09, 09:16 PM   #14
hussam

I don't use windows and haven't used it since 2003 or 2004.
For me, it really feels like Linux is a superior platform for some reason. Everything works in a more logical way on Linux. Plus GNU tools are really a blessing. It's like there's a tool for everything your mind can image. A lot of times, I think "hey, why didn't windows XP have something like grep?" or "how did I survive on windows without grep or sed".
People say windows is easier. But to be honest, if you use the right distribution instead of distributions that over-patch like Ubuntu (no offence to Ubuntu, I really respect how they are pulling people to try Linux), you'll find that Linux can be much easier to use and maintain for the normal home/desktop user and it's not so intimidating as people think. The only catch is that Linux expects you to be computer literate and know what a display card is, etc.. which isn't so difficult.

Note: I'm not flaming windows. For some people windows may suffice so it is perfectly good. It just happened not to fit my requirements.
hussam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 08:25 PM   #15
AaronR
9800 GTX+ User

I program and pull MacGyver's on Linux, and game on Windows.

Realistically the only thing on Windows I do is game. Why? Because the games I like are supported on it.

Linux for me has been much easier to deal with as it's much more straightforward (ie edit some configuration file or some specific tool) whereas on Windows I've always had to jump through hoops to get stuff to work.

You don't get viruses on Windows unless you actively use warez or download programs all the time, and you don't have a hard time on Linux unless you're a CLI junkie. Realistically nowadays it's easy to do stuff on Linux (and some people may have no choice with crappy desktops) so that's the way I'd go, but of course I can't not game.

People who were brought up on Mac like Macs, people who were brought up on Windows like Windows, people who were brought up on BSD like BSD, and people who were brought up on Linux like Linux. That's the way it is. They'll always bash each other (Yes, BSD users do sometimes bash Linux, and vice versa) and that's just how it is.

I'd never program on Windows and ATM (As in current conditions) I'd never game on Linux.
AaronR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-10, 02:05 AM   #16
Arup

Actually with a good AV like Avira, running a limited account and with DEP on, you can keep windows quite secure as well.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 01:09 AM   #17
ir123
*BANNED*

LULZ why do some people still believe PC gaming is relevant? Windows fanbois are increasingly likening to Linux fanboys in impact and significance. Nobody who is still actually "into computers" is using Windows today, it's "just there". Only really sad fools are still raving about Windows 7, for example. It's like raving about the film quality of Transformers 2 and using popularity as evidence.
ir123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 03:49 AM   #18
Arup

No sense in comparing, both are good in their own ways, it all depends on what you need your OS for and to each his/her own.
Old 01-08-10, 09:03 AM   #19
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir123 View Post
LULZ why do some people still believe PC gaming is relevant? Windows fanbois are increasingly likening to Linux fanboys in impact and significance. Nobody who is still actually "into computers" is using Windows today, it's "just there". Only really sad fools are still raving about Windows 7, for example. It's like raving about the film quality of Transformers 2 and using popularity as evidence.
LULZ for fool likes you that tries to keep drama going. keep using your l33t 486 machine and leave the real work to those that have a clue.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 09:35 AM   #20
Arup

Dual XEON with 16GB RAM here on Ubuntu

Old 01-08-10, 10:01 AM   #21
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arup View Post
Dual XEON with 16GB RAM here on Ubuntu
I was specifically speaking to the guy that wants to restart a flame war. I have no probs with you or the majority of users who love their o/s.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 11:44 AM   #22
Arup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
I was specifically speaking to the guy that wants to restart a flame war. I have no probs with you or the majority of users who love their o/s.
I know, just joking dude.

Peace.
Old 01-10-10, 08:35 PM   #23
ir123
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
LULZ for fool likes you that tries to keep drama going. keep using your l33t 486 machine and leave the real work to those that have a clue.
Truth hurts, eh? Protest too much. Move along,

no impact hypocrite restarting flame wars at members + fail = you

Go ahead and flame from the mod panel btw. The only worthwhile forum section around here is nvidia linux anyways.
ir123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 09:26 PM   #24
Arup

The problem starts when Windows people come and comment on Linux forum and vice versa, it would be much nicer and civil to stay out of each other's threads. Considering that most Linux users here are ex Windows users, its a touchy issue, one best left on its own.