Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-08-10, 10:11 AM   #1
XMAN52373

Default Asus doing a screw job for a RMA

http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/view...asc&highlight=

guy had an Asus GTX280 die and all they will offer up is a 4870 512 card for a replacement.
8GB DDR2 PC8500
Windows 7 U x64
XMAN52373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 10:20 AM   #2
lee63
Classified

Default Re: Asus doing a screw job for a RMA

This is why most of my cards are from Evga....just wish they did ATi.
Old 01-08-10, 10:21 AM   #3
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAN52373 View Post
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/view...asc&highlight=

guy had an Asus GTX280 die and all they will offer up is a 4870 512 card for a replacement.
Wow staying away from Asus in the future. If they don't have a GTX 280, they should at least offer him a better card. He should contact the bbb and see what they say.
Old 01-08-10, 10:22 AM   #4
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
I'd love to go all evga too, but their products are very hard to find in Finland. Just about every store has plenty of asus stuff while only one carries EVGA.
Old 01-08-10, 10:29 AM   #5
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
BFG has a good program as well. If I could redo my setup, I probably would go with EVGA.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 10:30 AM   #6
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
Wow staying away from Asus in the future. If they don't have a GTX 280, they should at least offer him a better card. He should contact the bbb and see what they say.
I still love ASUS motherboards. I've been using them for ages.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 10:52 AM   #7
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
Tru say
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 11:01 AM   #8
grey_1

I had a (as in one) RMA experience with Asus, dead mobo and the tech support and RMA were about as fast and efficient as I could ask for, very pleased.

That said, items like this bother me just due to the time factor alone, much less the absolutely horrendous customer support here and the obvious attempt to short change a customer.

I had been considering an Asus card in the near future as an upgrade for my HD 4870. Not after reading this.

Several of my coworkers also game and ask me for advice on hardware. Normally I wouldn't mind recommending Asus. Not now. And with the sheer number of employees (over 3000) in a tech oriented company, word will spread.

That's just sad.

Old 01-08-10, 12:39 PM   #9
Vorgus

Yea, people rave about asus boards, just prey it's not defective. I got a board that was doing strange stuff with a pcie tuner card. Tried to do a cross shipment replacement. filled out the forums and emailed. They sent back to send the board in. Had to call them to point out that I had requested cross shipment. It went down hill from there. They sent not 1, but 3 bad boards in a row. All where nothing but other peoples returns reboxed and shipped out.

The first was a board that had been dropped. a corner of the board was bent, the chipset heat pipe was bent, etc.

Second board clearly was a used board with dust around the cpu socket and some kind of residue around the chipset. I did try that board and it was doa.

3rd board was an older revision of the board I was trying to replace, had fluid spilled on both sides which had started eating at the solder connections of the parts around the cpu socket. Capacitors had started to bulge the tops which is always a sign of a failing cap.

4th board they finally did send a new replacement board, but some change in the bios caused it to set the voltage too low for the cpu. This for an am2 cpu and it caused the memory to not work correctly in ecc mode. I sent them the part numbers for the cpu and the bios version for the board that did work in ecc and after another month or so they said they had no contact source with amd to get mroe information on the problem. THEY MAK BOARDS FOR AMD CPUS! and they have no contact source for AMD????

NOte also that it took months between board shipments and I often ended up back on long distant calls to get things moving spending 15-20 minutes or more on hold on a non- 800 number. At one point they claimed to have had a server crash that lost their old emails preventing them from getting back to me. I talked to the head of the tech support department, or so I was told and he had never heard about domed caps being a sign of a failing cap.
Vorgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 02:27 PM   #10
Ninja Prime

I've ran into the same thing trying to RMA something to Asus, I stopped buying from them because of it. They try and give you the longest, most retarded run-around before they even let you RMA things, and its always some chinese dude that can't speak or type proper english so you don't know wtf they are saying...
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 04:17 PM   #11
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
While their hardware might be good, it's the chance of getting a rotten egg(what's the right expression to use here?) and having to deal with their RMA service that is going to keep me from buying Asus in the future. This isn't the first struggle with asus' customer service that I've come across.
Old 01-08-10, 05:02 PM   #12
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
While their hardware might be good, it's the chance of getting a rotten egg(what's the right expression to use here?) and having to deal with their RMA service that is going to keep me from buying Asus in the future. This isn't the first struggle with asus' customer service that I've come across.
Same here. While I had good luck with my P5E and the RMA'd P5K I have, I've heard enough of these stories lately to be wary about buying from them in the future.

I remember when Abit's CS began to get bad. Don't want to chance that again.