Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-10-09, 02:40 PM   #1213
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Default Re: mplayer vdpau

I added support for decoding MPEG-4 ASP to MPlayer svn.
Note that B-frames are currently not supported, it might take time for me to understand how to calculate the necessary timing information.

hqscaling is supported since last week, both new features need at least 190.32 headers (not necessarily drivers, if you prefer to use older ones) to compile (i.e. MPlayer will not compile at all without the required headers).

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-09, 09:33 PM   #1214
uau

Looks like the frame display times reported by VDPAU are a lot less precise if the video overlay feature is disabled (because of X composite extension being enabled or another window already using the overlay). The code estimating video FPS can become unstable in this case. So for now the framedrop/timing code only works reliably if you're using overlay. I'll add a workaround for that later (at least allow specifying display FPS manually to use the code if nothing else).
uau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 06:25 PM   #1215
uau

The git repo now uses the frame dropping/timing functionality by default, so playback on low-FPS devices should work much better and playback speed adjustments are not limited by display frame rate. The recent changes have also improved performance especially when using hardware decoding together with the heavier deinterlacing modes. Some samples show about 50% improved performance when using "-vc ffh264vpdau -vo vdpau:deint=4" on my 9500 GT; the amount of performance improvement will probably vary depending on card and the relative speeds it has for decoding and filtering.

The repository still supports the libvdpau version from 185 series drivers in case anyone here has not upgraded (of course the new features in 190.x drivers will not be supported if you build MPlayer against the older library version).

To build do "git clone git://repo.or.cz/mplayer-build.git" and then follow the README.
Old 11-26-09, 08:49 AM   #1216
LauriM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uau View Post
The git repo now uses the frame dropping/timing functionality by default, so playback on low-FPS devices should work much better and playback speed adjustments are not limited by display frame rate.
I think I'm getting better playback with this version, but it still misses a frame every now and then when trying 23.976fps playback on 23.976Hz display refresh. I guess it could also be that the display refresh doesn't match exactly.

I'll have to take a look at the code and see if I can figure out what's happening. Should the dropped frames counter show it or should there be any messages with verbose if frames get dropped?

Quote:
The recent changes have also improved performance especially when using hardware decoding together with the heavier deinterlacing modes.
They really have! Based on some limited testing it looks like I'm now able to use deint=3 and pullup with 1080i video on my integrated 9300.

Thank you for your excellent work!
LauriM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-09, 05:03 PM   #1217
uau

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriM View Post
I think I'm getting better playback with this version, but it still misses a frame every now and then when trying 23.976fps playback on 23.976Hz display refresh. I guess it could also be that the display refresh doesn't match exactly.
To make sure, by "misses a frame" you mean that a frame from the original video is dropped right? And not that there's a display refresh without a frame change?

It's quite possible that the playback FPS and display refresh rates do not match exactly even if they're nominally the same. Note that MPlayer handles A/V sync by adjusting video to match audio, so your audio system is what ultimately determines the exact playback speed.
Quote:
I'll have to take a look at the code and see if I can figure out what's happening. Should the dropped frames counter show it or should there be any messages with verbose if frames get dropped?
Currently there are no messages and the functionality is distinct from what the normal framedrop counter counts (that one is about frames that are not decoded either). I could add a message when a frame is skipped without ever being queued; however the "verbose" level is not really appropriate for that (playing 50 FPS video on a 24 FPS display is expected to generate 26 such messages per second, and the verbose level should still stay readable). It could be added at a debugging verbosity level, though then you'd need to filter out all the other stuff which gets printed at those levels...
Old 01-10-10, 02:25 PM   #1218
james321

Uau, I'm trying to use your git version of mplayer, but it doesn't have lavcac3enc audiofilter which I really need. It isn't listed as "available audio filter" when using "mplayer -af help" command. I build your mplayer version with ./init and after that make -j4.
Using official mplayer lavcac3enc works fine.
Sorry for the off-topic message.
james321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 11:38 PM   #1219
uau

Quote:
Originally Posted by james321 View Post
Uau, I'm trying to use your git version of mplayer, but it doesn't have lavcac3enc audiofilter which I really need.
The lavcac3enc filter depends on internal FFmpeg implementation details that are not part of the FFmpeg API. This means that even backwards-compatible FFmpeg changes can break it at any moment. The git version doesn't compile such filters by default (the MPlayer svn repo does, and occasionally breaks as a result). You can still enable those filters by using the --ffmpeg-source-dir=PATH_TO_FFMPEG_SOURCE_DIR option. For example if you have the build repo in /home/james321/src/mplayer-build then you can add either

--ffmpeg-source-dir=/home/james321/src/mplayer-build/ffmpeg

or

--ffmpeg-source-dir=/home/james321/src/mplayer-build/ffmpeg-mt

in the mplayer_options file, depending on whether you have enabled FFmpeg-mt support or not. This should create an MPlayer binary that supports lavcac3enc. Note that it's disabled by default for a reason; if you encounter other problems later then it's worth testing whether removing this option helps.
Old 01-14-10, 02:55 PM   #1220
james321

Thank you. Now lavcac3enc audiofilter works like in official mplayer.
james321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-10, 04:37 PM   #1221
neurox

Hi! Playing H.264 trailers from Apple in their 1080 format consistently causes mplayer to crash and display a brief green flash at the end of all clips - which otherwise look flawless. Any clues on this?

HW: Asrock ION 330 box (nVidia Corporation Device 087d (rev b1))
Fedora 12 (2.6.32.9-70.fc12.x86_64 #1 SMP)
MPlayer SVN-r29800-4.4.2
kmod-nvidia-2.6.32.9-70.fc12.x86_64-190.53-3.fc12.x86_64

Output from mplayer:
Code:
VIDEO:  [H264]  1280x720  24bpp  23.976 fps  8903.5 kbps (1086.8 kbyte/s)
Forced video codec: ffh264vdpau
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
[VD_FFMPEG] XVMC-accelerated MPEG-2.
Selected video codec: [ffh264vdpau] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264 (VDPAU))
VO: [vdpau] 1280x720 => 1280x720 H.264 VDPAU acceleration 
MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: unknown
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
neurox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 04:44 PM   #1222
Stephen Warren

neurox, that MPlayer version is ~5 months old. Can you try a more recent version to see if it solves the crash?

The green flash is just the overlay's chroma key showing through once the overlay is disabled. It's nothing to worry about.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 06:09 PM   #1223
octapus

I am trying to get smooth playback of 1080p video at 60 fps. No matter how I tried, including buying the GTX295 cards, I always failed somehow.
My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster, which works at 60Hz.

Is this the reason that, without frame dropping, I can never have smooth 60fps video play, when my monitor is also at 60Hz?

I am glad I finally see this post after a long time of trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uau View Post
playing 50 FPS video on a 24 FPS display is expected to generate 26 such messages per second, and the verbose level should still stay readable...
octapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 07:34 AM   #1224
dk75

octapus@ are you useing Ubuntu?
show result of commands:
Code:
uname -r
ps aux |grep rtkit
  • Xorg/XServer 7.6+12/1.11.4
  • GNOME 3.2.2
dk75 is offline   Reply With Quote