Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-09-10, 09:06 AM   #1
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard
Default EVGA's New Motherboard

anyone see this?

EVGA H57/H55 – Intel ® Core i7, i5, i3 Support Plus Intel HD Graphics

EVGA is proud to introduce the EVGA H57/H55 motherboard lineup based on the Intel® H57/H55 Express chipset. This platform is the perfect solution for fast performance, vibrant media and a great Windows 7 experience!
What makes the EVGA H57 and H55 great?

Using a supported Processor (see list below), EVGA H57 and H55 motherboards are enabled for a stunning visual experience with Intel® HD Graphics. The graphics component is completely on the processor meaning no external graphics card required; DVI, VGA, HDMI or DisplayPort are located right on the motherboard I/O. Best of all, these platforms are completely upgradable meaning you can install a PCI Express graphics card at any time. http://www.evga.com/articles/00524/
Old 01-09-10, 01:30 PM   #2
Lyme

Default Re: EVGA's New Motherboard

Nice MB, except for the super crappy onboard graphics.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 02:32 PM   #3
bacon12

Agreed Intel graphics ruin the entire platform. Reviews on it confirm what we already know, they blow.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 11:52 PM   #4
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Agreed Intel graphics ruin the entire platform. Reviews on it confirm what we already know, they blow.
This time yes, but soon Intel will have a much better on chip graphics processor. Wait till GPU's start becoming more integrated.. I hope that Intel quits shutting nVidia out though...
Old 01-10-10, 01:22 AM   #5
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard View Post
This time yes, but soon Intel will have a much better on chip graphics processor. Wait till GPU's start becoming more integrated.. I hope that Intel quits shutting nVidia out though...
Intel has been pitching that crap since the mid eighties, they cannot do good graphics.
Old 01-10-10, 02:12 PM   #6
bacon12

Quote:
I blame intel for pushing out so many machines with their piss poor igp's for the demise of pc gaming to where it is now. Basic gaming capabilities should be standard still on all but budget machines. This new platform is no different, as stated Intel suck horribly at graphics.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 04:47 PM   #7
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Nah they can't... but think about how much faster the GPU would be if it were integrated into the CPU.
Old 01-11-10, 12:52 AM   #8
Redeemed

Quote:
Nah they can't... but think about how much faster the GPU would be if it were integrated into the CPU.
If the GPU itself were decent the potential performance boost is indeed impressive.

However, this will not help Intel GPUs any. If they could, say, pair a core i7 975 with a 40nm GTX260 (192 SP version to keep TDP lower) that'd be pretty neat.

You know- this just popped into my mind. nVidia has been incredibly hush about Fermi- too hush. So much so that they're now getting a lot of bad press.

What if Fermi is the result of a joint venture between Intel and nVidia? What if nVidia used their GPU expertise to incorporate guaranteed and incredible gaming performance, while Intel designed the "CPU" portion of Fermi to perfect it's general processing performance? Highly unlikely, especially considering how much those two companies have been bickering lately? Yes. But still possible.

This would deal a rather heavy and devastating blow to AMD- which would only benefit both companies. This would pave the way for Intel to have on-die GeForce GPUs which would guarantee both nVidia and Intel a place on the throne of top-end CPU+GPU performance. There'd be no way AMD could compete with that, at least not for some time to come. I mean, they could probably incorporate a 40nm 4850 or the likes with one of their Phenom II X2 CPUs- but that's still only a dual-core CPU with a low-end GPU. And Intel also has HyperThreading which would boost thier CPU's multi-threaded performance.

As awesome as such a part sounds, I'm actually hoping this is not the case as I honestly fear what such an item would do the AMD. They'd literally have nothing to compete with. Nothing. Both Intel and nVidia could then co-fund a massive marketing campaign promoting CPU+GPU sales, they'd be the only ones able to supply such product to OEMs, they'd basically dominate that market before AMD even had a chance to compete. Afterwhich they could promote AMD's seperate CPU and GPU as an inferior, antiquated design thus further drawing sales away from AMD.

That's scarey.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-10, 02:54 AM   #9
Lyme

Rest assured, it isn't the case. nVidia doesn't want Intel to have their hands on any more of their IP. Futhermore nVidia has brought charges against Intel for illegal business practices.