Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-11-10, 12:26 AM   #1
woboyle

Default Pixel flashs running video

I have an 8800GT board w/ dual 1920x1200 DVI displays running with CentOS 5.4 x86_64 on an Intel S5000XVN motherboard, dual E5450 3GHz Xeon quad core processors, and 8GB RAM. I have been running the x86_64 177.82 driver for over a year without problems. However, all drivers since that one exhibit big red pixel flashes, mostly when running full-motion video in any reasonable resolution. It has been better the past few updates, but it is still there and very annoying. Enough so that I reinstall the 177.82 driver because it doesn't exhibit that problem.

Anyway, how do I get this into the bug queue to be fixed? I'd really like to get a more up-to-date driver, but until this problem is fixed I can't do it. It really makes videos unviewable and I use the system a lot for video processing work.

FWIW, I keep my system software updated on at least a weekly basis. I am running the latest kernel and other drivers for this system. I even tried the latest nvidia driver available from rpmforge in their YUM repository, 186.18.14 - same problem. Tried installing the latest package from nVidia, 190.53 - same problem. This is really getting irritating.
woboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 02:53 AM   #2
cwadge

Default Re: Pixel flashs running video

I've experienced what sounds like the same issue with a few different video cards while watching fullscreen video with XV acceleration. In my case at least, it seems to be related to the issue described here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143621

With the video card in powermizer performance mode 1 or 2, I don't seem to experience the artifacts. On performance mode 0 however, where the GPU and memory clocks are lowest, I experience XV artifacts (red checkerboard pattern flashes briefly) and I have occasional GPU lockups on the desktop. The symptoms of a GPU lockup are the entire X interface freezing except the mouse cursor, and the "Recovered GPU Errors" figure in the nvidia control panel increments by one.

I wonder if your issue is identical to my own...
  • If you playback video with non-XV accelleration, e.g. OpenGL, does the issue occur then?
  • Are you seeing any accompanying GPU lockups? E.g. if you X session has been running for a long time, do you have any soft GPU crashes ("Recovered GPU Errors")?
  • Do you see any strange messages in the output of dmesg related to "NVIDIA"?
cwadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 07:10 AM   #3
roalter

Default Re: Pixel flashs running video

This seems like the problem I have: I've named it the checkerboard pattern, since it looks like the image attached to my first post: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123439

It is only happening with XV, and only on my dual-screen GeForce 8600 GTS, but not on the 3rd screen, which is connected to my GeForce 8400 (only one screen for this card)

The checkerboard tiles are 16x16 pixels in size...
roalter is offline   Reply With Quote