Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-17-10, 02:03 AM   #25
K007

Default Re: Looks like Bad Company 2 will be crippled

Spot on Butter.

Otherwise it will be just like IWNET. P2P Hosting. Let the ISPS do the hosting and just rent it out. Its ****ing cheap.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 02:48 AM   #26
yuriz43

At this point any server on dedicated hardware with a vote-kick option is better than what we have with MW2. The only problem I see with this is that dedicated servers cost money, and when the developer decides to stop paying for them, no more multiplayer. They just want to keep all the revunue generated from places like gameservers.net to themself. Of course that also means people like myself who have bandwidth and hardware available for use at their work cannot host servers simply as a favor to the community.

*Compewtor*Keeeboard*Mice*Mice Pad
*Cofe Jug*Old Bear Can*5x blu LED's
*Bag of chips that I forgot to throw away*Moniter
yuriz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 04:49 AM   #27
K007

y would u host gaming servers at your work place?
Old 01-17-10, 05:09 AM   #28
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
cause you work at infinity ward
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 10:43 AM   #29
bacon12

Quote:
Now we hear that there will be no developer console enabled so you can't customize your game the way you like as well as the modders doing their magic. This also deters any third party admin tools. They say this will cut down on the cheaters playing their game... Hello, why not police your game with quality AC????
That totally worked with MW2, I never see cheaters there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit View Post
The game will still have dedicated servers.

So what if they're not giving us the server code to run ourselves? Running a server in your own house isn't much better than IW's setup for MW2.

If you seriously want your own dedicated server, and you want it to be worth a damn, you'll be renting it from a provider anyways
Yea a lot of clans do rent their servers from data centers, but now they won't be able to host it on their dedi boxes like before. $300/month for a dedi and they can't host BC2 because of this stupid ranking system very few care about.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 01:27 PM   #30
yuriz43

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
I work for a service provider, and as a perk get some free colocation space and bandwidth/power. I bought a 1U supermicro with Dual Intel Quad-cores and 32GB ram, it has Debian Linux + kernel-based virtual machine running on it, so I can spawn a bunch of VMs and partition my game servers. For somebody who exclusively plays online FPS games, it is the best. ( never once played any of the single player campaigns for any game I own ) ( except half-life 1, but I had to force myself )

I was planning on hosting a MW2 server as I had with MW1. Of course that idea didn't work out very well.

Old 01-18-10, 02:02 AM   #31
K007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
cause you work at infinity ward
IW said they enjoyed 100ping very well...so they still have residential connection.
Old 01-18-10, 02:03 AM   #32
K007

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriz43 View Post
I work for a service provider, and as a perk get some free colocation space and bandwidth/power. I bought a 1U supermicro with Dual Intel Quad-cores and 32GB ram, it has Debian Linux + kernel-based virtual machine running on it, so I can spawn a bunch of VMs and partition my game servers. For somebody who exclusively plays online FPS games, it is the best. ( never once played any of the single player campaigns for any game I own ) ( except half-life 1, but I had to force myself )

I was planning on hosting a MW2 server as I had with MW1. Of course that idea didn't work out very well.
oh i see. well then it comes down to your work place paying for the fee. It might be pretty tiny in the end, so...i dont think it will be that bad.

they know that server hosting/renting is very big in the pc community..so they might not butt **** them over....

atleast i am happy it will be a lagless thing. srsly mw2 is ****ing ****ed up with the lag.

Old 01-18-10, 08:54 AM   #33
GullyFoyle

Let me start by saying, DICE has not been caught lieing, they just have not been forthcoming with all the details. To be fair, much of this is probably due to them not wanting to promise something, then not delivering. So, take their statements below as truth, but watch out for holes...

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/batt...lling-not.aspx

Quote:
* Dedicated Ranked Server - Everyone gets non-stop action with no connection penalties based on some other player's internet. Ranked Server Provider program will give players opportunity to rent their own server(s) located in professional grade datacenters, ability to modify settings like map rotation, create reserved slots for friends or clan members, kick & Ban players, and custom name your ranked server.
* Clan Support & Private Servers - Independent Clan Tag, and ability to rent servers for hosting and controlling private password protected competitive servers with expanded control over the settings from public ranked servers.

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/batt...29-n-dice.aspx

Quote:
Anti Cheat: We're going with PunkBuster supporting the same options BF2 and BF2142 had to run unranked without PunkBuster.

Mod Tools: There will not be mod tools for BFBC2. However a majority of the the games logic is controlled by the server and there will be Serverside control options for the dedicated servers.

Things I wanted to point out for this thread:

All servers will be dedicated, but they don't all have to be ranked. Unranked servers will have more configuration options than ranked ones. (no further details on this have been released). Usually unranked servers are cheaper, too.

About anti-cheat, PBBANS, etc: It is actually Punkbuster that supports streaming to AC services like PBBANS, PunksBusted, etc, and BFBC@ supports Punkbuster. It was the PBBANS people that are saying no to supporting BFBC2, because they insist they need access to the server files for debugging, etc. It remains to be seen if an agreement can be reached between DICE and PBBans to secure this access. DICE's Gordon VanDyke tweeted about looking in to it. A third AC service from Germany, who's name escapes me at the moment (saw on EA UK forums), has said they WILL support streaming to BFBC2 at (or soon after) launch.

10 Days until the PC beta!
GullyFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 09:50 AM   #34
bacon12

Unless they can get the server files the guys at pbbans have already said there wasn't much they could do.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 08:56 PM   #35
yuriz43

With the debate of being able to host your own servers set aside, AT LEAST we will have low latency game play. Although it feels kind of strange being excited about no latency. These are the same feelings I had with quake2 and getting my first DSL connection. Since then, the thought of latency, or packet loss hasn't crossed my mind when playing games.

It's kind of like they reinvented the wheel, after IW took the wheel and turned it into an oval shaped rinky dink object that doesn't serve its purpose.