Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-10, 12:41 PM   #25
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Default Re: NVIDIA GF100 Previews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle
For example, a GTX285 costs about 390usd or so, a Tesla C1060 (which unless Im wrong is based on the same GPU) costs 1,219usd.
Now that´s a pretty juicy premium on the hardware, granted the components probably cost a little more on those boards, but still.
Nothing to be really surprised here... engineering/scientifical appliances ALWAYS costs more even if the components are the same, and why? well... because it's for that sector, completely unrealistic but that's how the market works.

It's the same as trying to get hardware assisted cryptography... the ideal is to use a cryptographic accelerator but those boards usually go higher than 4K for a single board, whereas for those 390 bucks you have relatively comparable performance :P
Old 01-19-10, 12:53 PM   #26
jolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
Nothing to be really surprised here... engineering/scientifical appliances ALWAYS costs more even if the components are the same, and why? well... because it's for that sector, completely unrealistic but that's how the market works.
yes, but that is very much besides the point.
Old 01-19-10, 02:53 PM   #27
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post

It's the same as trying to get hardware assisted cryptography... the ideal is to use a cryptographic accelerator but those boards usually go higher than 4K for a single board, whereas for those 390 bucks you have relatively comparable performance :P
This way of thinking is why alot of things are broken in this county liek paying 10 bucks for a pen vs 50 cents for the same one.

This is pork spending adding a price tag on something that shouldn't even be that high.

Im sorry but a fireGL costing 1000 bucks based on same hardware that costs 200, im sorry but peopel need to stop this crap right now or else i will step in and snap someones frickin neck.
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
Corsiar 1000 HX Power Supply
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives
4 wd black edition raid 2 setups for 4TB

Old 01-19-10, 02:57 PM   #28
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle View Post
yes, but that is very much besides the point.
Not really.

You have to develop different drivers, software apps and other items to run specialized cards. There is a related cost for R&D. No doubt the margins are much richer for these cards as well, but there is a reason that the added costs are there is because it is more expensive to produce.
Old 01-19-10, 04:00 PM   #29
jolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Not really.

You have to develop different drivers, software apps and other items to run specialized cards. There is a related cost for R&D. No doubt the margins are much richer for these cards as well, but there is a reason that the added costs are there is because it is more expensive to produce.
Well yeah obviously there are other costs on that side, but that´s not what the quote I was commenting was saying either...
I was referring to the part that its "old news" that workstation and engineering/scientific applications costs more, I wasnt presenting that as "news" to anyone, as the quote seemed to imply, that wasnt the point.

But yes, the costs of investments is a good point.
For example, the entire effort sunk into CUDA and GPGPU is very much an investment to build a market for Tesla, get people using the API and GPGPU applications in general, on as many fronts as possible, get it tought in universites etc, they touched on that on GTC aswell.
Spending to get a return on the boards, I get that.
So then the margins on that stuff is already tied up in recouping investments perhaps.
Old 01-19-10, 04:59 PM   #30
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigman View Post
This way of thinking is why alot of things are broken in this county liek paying 10 bucks for a pen vs 50 cents for the same one.

This is pork spending adding a price tag on something that shouldn't even be that high.

Im sorry but a fireGL costing 1000 bucks based on same hardware that costs 200, im sorry but peopel need to stop this crap right now or else i will step in and snap someones frickin neck.
Yes, I know it's crap but it's how our world works, market-wise. What Sazar says is partly right, there's some added R&D cost, but the rest is speculative analysis and market benefit planning...

In Spain, there's a say that, more or less, says if a boss pays you 1000 euros it's just because you make him earn 3000 with your work, otherwise you woudn't be getting a job. It's more or less the same... a memory module costed like 1.2 euros to produce 15 years ago, but you paid something like 60-80 for it, if you substract the R&D cost, salaries then the rest is 'pure' benefit... isn't it lovely? haha :P
Old 01-20-10, 05:18 PM   #31
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman

I think its pure crap if you ask me pure crap.

The US business system is far the worse one in the world tday.

If a min 1950's hardware store owner heard of the crap that is going on today he would roll over in his grave or go wtf is wrong with this hole we live in.

Graphics cards cost way to much at launch unlike before and with the way things are going who would spend 500 bucks again for it, i thought those days were over seeing ati 4890's were only 250 and beat out GTX 285's that cost 400 bucks att.

Spend 250 and get same speeds and image quality right, Nvidia is greedy like INtel unlike ATI AMD but they are charging alot now again for the 5800 series cards .
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives

Old 01-20-10, 05:32 PM   #32
wysiwyg

id always stick to nvidia now due to physx and better driver support

Old 01-20-10, 05:54 PM   #33
onmikesline

physx is just firmware on the drivers, lol ati can do it, and you really dont see much when the game has physx, its a marketing scam like cuda lol. i do like the support you get with nvidia, but ati is kicking it up now so lets see.
Old 01-20-10, 05:57 PM   #34
onmikesline

what someone should do is build a videocard that is upgradable
Old 01-20-10, 05:57 PM   #35
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigman View Post
I think its pure crap if you ask me pure crap.

The US business system is far the worse one in the world tday.

If a min 1950's hardware store owner heard of the crap that is going on today he would roll over in his grave or go wtf is wrong with this hole we live in.

Graphics cards cost way to much at launch unlike before and with the way things are going who would spend 500 bucks again for it, i thought those days were over seeing ati 4890's were only 250 and beat out GTX 285's that cost 400 bucks att.

Spend 250 and get same speeds and image quality right, Nvidia is greedy like INtel unlike ATI AMD but they are charging alot now again for the 5800 series cards .
this.
Old 01-20-10, 09:50 PM   #36
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmikesline View Post
what someone should do is build a videocard that is upgradable
They tried that with MGA Matrox some years back but no one wanted to support it and they smell like burnt toadst too.

The breakout ram expantion was cool shaw did 8 mb on mine shuvs.
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives