Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-20-10, 09:51 PM   #1
ponteaus

Default Fatal server error: no screens found

I cannot get the nVidia drivers working on my computer, despite having tried many methods. My machine:

Ubuntu 9.10
Pentium 4 1.4GHz
768MB RAM
nVidia FX 5900
Monitor: L1720P

I've tried the nVidia installer, EnvyNG, and Ubuntu's built-in Hardware Devices manager, all to no effect. The story is basically the same for all three: I activate the driver and reboot, the white Ubuntu logo pops up briefly, and then I get a flashing command prompt login screen. Remotely, I can "service gdm stop" to kill the blinking. Then I log in locally and attempt "startx", whereupon I receive the "Fatal server error: no screens found" error. Attached is the bug report.

I have a help thread on this in the Ubuntu forums as well. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (47.7 KB, 102 views)
ponteaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 10:21 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Fatal server error: no screens found

Here's the error:
Quote:
[ 818.318375] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 173.14.22, but
[ 818.318380] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 173.14.20. Please
[ 818.318383] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
[ 818.318387] NVRM: components have the same version.
This indicates that the driver is improperly installed, with two incompatible versions of driver components installed at the same time. I would recommend uninstalling the driver via all of the various ways you installed it, and then install it using just one method.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 09:47 PM   #3
ponteaus

I'm not sure how to uninstall these components. EnvyNG is the only tool of the three that has an uninstall option, and that program won't even run (gives me some errors about missing files; I still don't know how I got it to run that one time). Anyways, is there a different way to go in and delete drivers?
Old 01-22-10, 12:55 AM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Well, you can uninstall the .run file with "nvidia-uninstall" (or "nvidia-installer --uninstall" on older drivers). For the others, you'll have to check where you got them from.
Old 01-22-10, 10:27 AM   #5
ponteaus

That, combined with me uninstalling everything with "nvidia" in it from the package manager, seemed to have removed the conflicting components. I think I removed a little too much, and I was forced into the command line, hehe, but I finally got the 173 driver installed correctly from the Envy text interface! So thanks for the help, Aaron

I have two follow-up questions, but they're likely related.
1) I have two monitors running on this computer, an LG L1720P and an HP w2207h. The LG is working fine, but the HP is being identified as a CRT, not an FPD. How do I correct this?
2) The HP is my primary monitor, so when I switch to a command line desktop tty[1-6], these desktops display on the HP. However, only about a third of the lines are actually visible; the rest are on virtual screen space below the actual display. I think this may be related to the computer thinking this display is a CRT, but I can't be sure.
Old 01-22-10, 10:50 AM   #6
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponteaus View Post
I have two follow-up questions, but they're likely related.
1) I have two monitors running on this computer, an LG L1720P and an HP w2207h. The LG is working fine, but the HP is being identified as a CRT, not an FPD. How do I correct this?
How is it connected to the GPU? If you're using a VGA cable, then it will show up as "CRT" in the driver. It's confusing, I know, but the names are historical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponteaus View Post
2) The HP is my primary monitor, so when I switch to a command line desktop tty[1-6], these desktops display on the HP. However, only about a third of the lines are actually visible; the rest are on virtual screen space below the actual display. I think this may be related to the computer thinking this display is a CRT, but I can't be sure.
That's a little weird. Does the monitor have an auto-adjust button? If so, does pressing it help? How about running "setfont" from the command line?
Old 01-22-10, 11:53 AM   #7
ponteaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
How is it connected to the GPU? If you're using a VGA cable, then it will show up as "CRT" in the driver. It's confusing, I know, but the names are historical.
Agreed, that's confusing, but yes, I'm using a VGA cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
That's a little weird. Does the monitor have an auto-adjust button? If so, does pressing it help? How about running "setfont" from the command line?
The monitor's auto-adjust function runs each time I switch to the command line display; it seems to choose the correct settings (1680x1050 at 60Hz). Setfont produced "cannot find default font".