Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-18-10, 03:24 AM   #73
Aesdin

Default Re: Torchlight - A review from a Diablo 2 fan

To be honest, I started working on a graphics engine and stopped. I realized how many neat things I could build and I decided to study Math. I have many engineering books, and when I finally save enough to go to school, I will work on my engine/mmo platform again. I have to say it was a blast, but I hit a wall where the shader code and some of the fourier transform stuff got too much over my head. I've since learned more but anyway.

The reality is, as gamers we could build our own game, and we could build one just how we like it. We are getting closer and closer to being able to build the feelings we've always wanted to see come to life - and actually acomplish it.

My prototype was simple, a 3D model walked around on a terrain and could open doors, I had multilevel collision detection working, there was actually a dynamic house system I built.

Anyway, the reason I mention all this is, well, if I don't like Torchlight, I'm free to make my own game, which I admit isn't easy, hence why I have so many Calculus books, engineering etc... books on Fluid Dynamics, Linear Algebra, Vector Algebra, Quaternions.. etc.

So let me tell you - the beautiful thing I can create, are just really awesome. Some of the experiments with fluid like geometry that I made using vertex shaders with simple sine and cosine transformations...

Instead of getting mad, sometimes we play so many games that we just need to let it out creativly, my recommendation to the OP is to build your own games and see the things you want to build in your head in your own game. It might seem impossible and it might take years, but the knowledge I'm personally building makes me realize just how complicated it all can be.

I played Diablo.. and I loved, FYI I love horror based hack'n slash, but multiplayer is what drives me to play games.
Aesdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 08:39 AM   #74
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesdin View Post
To be honest, I started working on a graphics engine and stopped. I realized how many neat things I could build and I decided to study Math. I have many engineering books, and when I finally save enough to go to school, I will work on my engine/mmo platform again. I have to say it was a blast, but I hit a wall where the shader code and some of the fourier transform stuff got too much over my head. I've since learned more but anyway.

The reality is, as gamers we could build our own game, and we could build one just how we like it. We are getting closer and closer to being able to build the feelings we've always wanted to see come to life - and actually acomplish it.

My prototype was simple, a 3D model walked around on a terrain and could open doors, I had multilevel collision detection working, there was actually a dynamic house system I built.

Anyway, the reason I mention all this is, well, if I don't like Torchlight, I'm free to make my own game, which I admit isn't easy, hence why I have so many Calculus books, engineering etc... books on Fluid Dynamics, Linear Algebra, Vector Algebra, Quaternions.. etc.

So let me tell you - the beautiful thing I can create, are just really awesome. Some of the experiments with fluid like geometry that I made using vertex shaders with simple sine and cosine transformations...

Instead of getting mad, sometimes we play so many games that we just need to let it out creativly, my recommendation to the OP is to build your own games and see the things you want to build in your head in your own game. It might seem impossible and it might take years, but the knowledge I'm personally building makes me realize just how complicated it all can be.

I played Diablo.. and I loved, FYI I love horror based hack'n slash, but multiplayer is what drives me to play games.
I bet there is open source code available for whatever you got stuck on. As long as you go through it and understand it, it should be relatively simple to integrate into your own code. (assuming it's the same language)
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 11:37 AM   #75
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Here are my thoughts after hitting the level 100 cap and then adding the mod to allow 100+ character level and 20 skill points..

It's a fun game. Brainless fun just like DII. I never played (or had even heard of fate) so for me, it was kinda like DII but a bit different though not as different as titan quest (which I also loved)

I think Torchlight's graphics were mediocre at best and prefer the grittier scheme of DII though ultimately I think the eye candy award goes to TQ.

Yes the levels get repetitive and boring but the challenge that the game presents doesn't. The enemies get stronger and you get stronger and it seems like after a certain point, the goal of the game is to try and stay strong enough to keep overwhelming the hoards but it loses it's interest over time and no real definitive end of the story hurts the game in the end.

I do like the idea of siring an item down to another character but even if they let you start the whole game over with the same character and items, it wouldn't be near what DII is on it's 2nd and 3rd playthroughs.

For what I assume was a small budget production from a small team of developers, I offer a tip my hat for designing a fun, inexpensive game but a wag of my finger at them for slacking on the story and not offering a more diverse environment.

I'm sure part of the shallow level design is due to lack of team members to craft larger worlds. It's a very claustrophobic game and as opposite as it gets from DII and TQ's massive open worlds.

All in all, it was very entertaining and just as addicitve as DII and TQ but ultimately lost a lot of replay value as the repetiitve nature of the same old dungeons started to set in.

I will say that I hope this is a good stepping stone for the developers and that they either release more DLC with more visual variety or another game that offers a better story and more open ended environments.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 12:10 PM   #76
Moo
*BANNNED*

Love this game. Not brain-taxing by any means, but implemented very well.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 01:47 PM   #77
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

HAHA Zero punctuation to the rescue

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...385-Torchlight
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote