Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-24-10, 08:11 PM   #85
Slytat

Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
We'll have to wait on pricing to decide which card that Fermi is going to compete with. Price is going to be the chief factor for determing which card Fermi is going to compete with. If nvidia is able to work some miracle and keep Fermi from being stupidly expensive, then it will compete with the 5870. Otherwise, it will compete with the 5970.

Forget the fact that the 5970 has 2 chips, because that is irrelevant. Performance is performance, and if you want it, you have to pay for it.
It's irrelevant - as long as you compare it to 2 Fermi's (or the Fermi dual GPU card)

I can guarantee you there would be some major "dummy spitting" on this forum if things were the other way around.

From what little we know, it appears that 2 Fermi's will beat the 5970.

People who shell out ~$800+ for 2 video cards are rarely worried about price.
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 09:23 PM   #86
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
What double standard?

First of all, when I do comparisons, I compare on a GPU vs GPU basis.

1 Fermi is likely going to be slower than the 5970 but the 5970 is essentially 2 cards so, unlike yourself, I compare them GPU vs GPU and since the 5970 has 2, I'm going to compare 2 x Fermi or the GTX395 (which will most likely have some kind of gimping).

If you are going to compare the Fermi to an ATI card, it should be the 5870. This belief that Fermi has to beat the 5970 in order to be a success is ridiculous and it certainly wasn't applied to ATI when they released the 5xxx series as even their 2 GPU card doesn't beat SLI by that much and their 5870 can't even best the aging 295 let alone 285s in SLI. I think it is you who is indulging in a double standard here mate, not me.

And the main point that ATI intentionally keeps the relative size/power and production cost of their last few generations of GPU's,limited on purpose to allow the use of the same GPU on several different models of cards has nothing to do with it right?,which includes cards starting as low as 250$ using Cypress GPU's(HD5830).

Absolutely nothing stops ATI from building GPU's just as large and using just as many transistors as Nvidia does for their high end parts,and sticking to a single GPU design for their highest end models,just like Nvidia does,but it seems that a least in the last 2 generations,they've found a better way to serve several price points and address several markets with the same GPU.

And the latest example is the most obvious one....Like it or hate it,ATI's HD5800/5900 cards were released on time and kicking ass and taking the speed crown,while Nvidia does nothing but talk how great Fermi will be,and it's horribly late and using a lot of power,so it's not hard to see which strategy is working better so far.

So with that in mind,comparing a single Cypress,which was still built to be economical to produce and use reasonable amounts of power and easily allow the possibility of a dual GPU card,against a strategy from it's direct competitor which tried to stuff as many transistors as possible into a single GPU die,uses a lot more power and isn't cheap to make,isn't really a fair comparison either.

Ask yourself this....When will you see Fermi being used in a 250$ video card,just like ATI can use Cypress in a card selling for the same price,and still make money on it?....That's right,probably not happening anytime soon.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 09:40 PM   #87
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
And the main point that ATI intentionally keeps the relative size/power and production cost of their last few generations of GPU's,limited on purpose to allow the use of the same GPU on several different models of cards has nothing to do with it right?,which includes cards starting as low as 250$ using Cypress GPU's(HD5830).

Absolutely nothing stops ATI from building GPU's just as large and using just as many transistors as Nvidia does for their high end parts,and sticking to a single GPU design for their highest end models,just like Nvidia does,but it seems that a least in the last 2 generations,they've found a better way to serve several price points and address several markets with the same GPU.

And the latest example is the most obvious one....Like it or hate it,ATI's HD5800/5900 cards were released on time and kicking ass and taking the speed crown,while Nvidia does nothing but talk how great Fermi will be,and it's horribly late and using a lot of power,so it's not hard to see which strategy is working better so far.

So with that in mind,comparing a single Cypress,which was still built to be economical to produce and use reasonable amounts of power and easily allow the possibility of a dual GPU card,against a strategy from it's direct competitor which tried to stuff as many transistors as possible into a single GPU die,uses a lot more power and isn't cheap to make,isn't really a fair comparison either.

Ask yourself this....When will you see Fermi being used in a 250$ video card,just like ATI can use Cypress in a card selling for the same price,and still make money on it?....That's right,probably not happening anytime soon.

I'll stick to testing on a GPU vs GPU basis and you do whatever makes you happy. As usual, you feel this misplaced need to defend ATI from what you perceive to be an attack.

You keep treating this like a competition but I'll remind you again that I own a 5970 (and I had 2 5870s before that). I would be far more amenable to ATI if they had an app like nHancer and their drivers were a little better.

I could go on and on but you'll keep thinking this is an argument that you have to "win" while I'll keep on enjoying my hardware regardless of who makes it

Happy trails.
Old 01-24-10, 09:48 PM   #88
shadow001

Quote:
I'll stick to testing on a GPU vs GPU basis and you do whatever makes you happy. As usual, you feel this misplaced need to defend ATI from what you perceive as an attack.

You keep treating this like a competition but I'll remind you again that I own a 5970 (and I had 2 5870s before that). I would be far more amenable to ATI if they had an app like nHancer and their drivers were a little better.

I could go on and on but you'll keep thinking this is an argument that you have to "win" while I'll keep on enjoying my hardware regardless of who makes it

Happy trails.
I'm not treating it like a competition at all,just drawing on the different strategies by both companies that make your comparison on a GPU versus GPU,not only a competition,but you also assume the idea for both was to make the best possible GPU they could.

That is the case for Nvidia,which has a much larger transistor budget and is more expensive to make without a doubt,compared to what ATI did with Cypress,which is also the best they could do,but with lower limits on transistor budget,die size,and power consumption.

It's really that simple.
Old 01-24-10, 09:50 PM   #89
Slytat

Quote:
I'm not treating it like a competition at all,just drawing on the different strategies by both companies that make your comparison on a GPU versus GPU,not only a competition,but you also assume the idea for both was to make the best possible GPU they could.

That is the case for Nvidia,which has a much larger transistor budget and is more expensive to make without a doubt,compared to what ATI did with Cypress,which is also the best they could do,but with lower limits on transistor budget,die size,and power consumption.

It's really that simple.
Hey, I never said ATI made bad hardware. They both have their strengths and weaknesses

Just looked on NCIX and there are STILL no 5970s in stock. I thought that had been sorted.
Old 01-24-10, 10:09 PM   #90
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Quote:
It's irrelevant - as long as you compare it to 2 Fermi's (or the Fermi dual GPU card)

I can guarantee you there would be some major "dummy spitting" on this forum if things were the other way around.

From what little we know, it appears that 2 Fermi's will beat the 5970.

People who shell out ~$800+ for 2 video cards are rarely worried about price.
cards should be compared by price, not configuration. Doesn't matter how the performance is delivered.
Old 01-24-10, 10:11 PM   #91
shadow001

Quote:
Hey, I never said ATI made bad hardware. They both have their strengths and weaknesses

Just looked on NCIX and there are STILL no 5970s in stock. I thought that had been sorted.

You're not getting it,the overall product strategy is different for both,and that directly translates into the engineering requirements for both,so it doesn't really have anything to do with bad hardware as you're stating.

Fact is,if Fermi didn't beat a single Cypress would be a shock,and we still have yet to see by how much given that it is using 850 million extra transistors,so about a 40% higher transistor budget over cypress,and it would be funny if Fermi's performance advantage was smaller than that
Old 01-24-10, 10:23 PM   #92
Slytat

Quote:
You're not getting it,the overall product strategy is different for both,and that directly translates into the engineering requirements for both,so it doesn't really have anything to do with bad hardware as you're stating.

Fact is,if Fermi didn't beat a single Cypress would be a shock,and we still have yet to see by how much given that it is using 850 million extra transistors,so about a 40% higher transistor budget over cypress,and it would be funny if Fermi's performance advantage was smaller than that
I get it just fine.

I was just making the point that I have nothing against ATI.

If Fermi ends up being substandard, it'll be a shame, but I won't be the one trying to tell everyone it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Obviously, I'm hoping for a strong card but time will tell.

Old 01-24-10, 10:24 PM   #93
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Baboon View Post
cards should be compared by price, not configuration. Doesn't matter how the performance is delivered.
Can't agree with you on that but to each their own
Old 01-24-10, 11:41 PM   #94
kaptkarl
Carolina Panthers Rule!!

Some folks here say the best card is the fastest card...period. In which case ATI wins w/ the 5000 series.

Some folks say is the best card is the one that has the best price vs. performance ratio. Again ATI wins w/ the 5000 series.

Sorry NVidia fanboys......facts speak for themselves....period. Now before you guys get your panties in a wad here, I currently OWN a NVidia card. I'm not chosing sides, nor am I loyal to a particular brand.

I just wish some people would quit looking at this w/ blinders on. See it for what it is. I hope the Fermi GF100 series cards rock the planet.......competition is a good thing for us all.

Oh, and before I get off my soapbox.....let me set something straight. ATI's drivers are EQUAL to, if not better than NVidia's. Quit using that as a crutch to justify NVidia having an advantage. In my personal experiences the last few yrs I've experienced MORE issues w/ NVidia's drivers than ATI's. Just saying from my own personal experiences. Now NVidia does have profiles.....ATI does not. But does that make them better??? uh...ur...no.

Back on topic........again I hope the GF100 series is a solid, fast and competitively priced product. We'll see...............................

I say, upon Fermi's release, throw the top dog up against ATI's best. And for us price minded folks, show price vs performance as well.

Kapt
16GB G. Skill Ripsaw DDR3 1600MHz memory
Powercolor 5870 OC'd to 949/1255
(OC'd only when gaming of course)
11.8 Cat drivers
650W power supply
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA HD
Sony dual layer 16X DVD/CD Writer
LG 8X Blu-ray Writer
HP w2408h 24" monitor running @ 1920x1200 native rez
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
kaptkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 11:45 PM   #95
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptkarl View Post
Some folks here say the best card is the fastest card...period. In which case ATI wins w/ the 5000 series.

Some folks say is the best card is the one that has the best price vs. performance ratio. Again ATI wins w/ the 5000 series.

Sorry NVidia fanboys......facts speak for themselves....period. Now before you guys get your panties in a wad here, I currently OWN a NVidia card. I'm not chosing sides, nor am I loyal to a particular brand.

I just wish some people would quit looking at this w/ blinders on. See it for what it is. I hope the Fermi GF100 series cards rock the planet.......competition is a good thing for us all.

Oh, and before I get off my soapbox.....let me set something straight. ATI's drivers are EQUAL to, if not better than NVidia's. Quit using that as a crutch to justify NVidia having an advantage. In my personal experiences the last few yrs I've experienced MORE issues w/ NVidia's drivers than ATI's. Just saying from my own personal experiences. Now NVidia does have profiles.....ATI does not. But does that make them better??? uh...ur...no.

Back on topic........again I hope the GF100 series is a solid, fast and competitively priced product. We'll see...............................

I say, upon Fermi's release, throw the top dog up against ATI's best. And for us price minded folks, show price vs performance as well.

Kapt
While I agree that ATI has the faster cards and WAY better pricing, I can't agree on the driver situation. Of course, in a lot of cases I think that boils down to luck.

As for the profiles, well actually it does make them better in that particular respect.
Old 01-25-10, 12:09 AM   #96
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat
PS : JFYI, I never asked for any endorsements from you or anybody else here, I stated my experiences and was not looking for any validation.
Stating experiences is one thing. Going around and repeatedly claiming and arguing with people about 285 SLI being comparable in performance to 5970 is doing a little more than that. You're laying a claim to fact which you must then prove if you expect others to take you seriously.

And that's where there's a problem, because the only proof you have of this "fact" that you keep claiming is a single benchmark review that is quite questionable since it clashes with results found on several other reputable sites.

I don't care if Hilbert is a CEO of a graphics division, if he were, there is still the margin of error that you get when you decide to take a single set of benchmarks and ignore everything else out there. You keep going that route if you like; I'm not going to. I would rather see something validated and confirmed by a few different sources before I believe something, but hey, you do what you like.

Quote:
Do you really think I care if they meet with your approval? (That's a resounding "I don't" in case you were in any doubt).
You keep turning this into some sort of personal issue. It is not. It's not about meeting "[my] approval"; it's about you proving your claims to fact.

Quote:
PPS : 10-15% is not significant in my opinion but that's subjective. Obviously you think it is and you are entitled to that opinion.
Yes, because 3x performance of a 285 in Stalker equates to "10-15%" difference between 5970 and 285 SLI. I guess you plan to show us the first confirmed case of SLI scaling about 180% on a game.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote