Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-22-10, 03:30 PM   #109
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Default Re: Bioshock 2 DRM scheme - new level of low!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
Boycotts often won't work on IP since they will only put the lost sales towards piracy. But I would still boycott games for absurdities like multiple levels of varying activation schemes. And yes boycotts have worked before just look at Starforce. Unfortunately for boycotts to really work you need a large movement of people doing it in comparison to the expected sales. Even though some estimated 100,000 signed the CoD:MW2 petition due to the dedicated server issue, it's expected sales eclipsed the boycotters by such a large amount that it really didn't do any good even if every single one of them actually did boycott it. And because it was multiplatform the boycott really lost any kind of pressure it could exert on the publisher/developer.
COD MW2 and L4D2 would be the best cases of boycotts not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 03:34 PM   #110
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
COD MW2 and L4D2 would be the best cases of boycotts not working.
While I agree boycotts rarely ever work, I think the MW2 and L4D2 boycotts didn't work because people didn't actually want to boycott them at all. They broke in and bought them instantly.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 05:57 PM   #111
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

I'm pretty sure it was a misunderstood thing... people see SecuRom and they instantly think it's an activation version when the majority of SecuRom is just a disc check.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-10, 11:10 AM   #112
GitDat

Oops, wrong thread.
EVGA Z77 FTW | Core i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz | 16GB G.Skill Trident-X 2400MHz | SLI EVGA GTX Titan SC's | Intel 520 SSD's RAID-0 | ThermalTake 1475watt | 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme - 8941 | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround
GitDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-10, 11:41 PM   #113
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Boycotts NEVER work, they know that and don't give a **** when retards like you start screaming for boycott.
Really? Not in tune with reality, it seems...

People not putting up with Starforce -> http://www.gamespot.com/news/6147655.html

Mass Effect DRM -> http://meforums.bioware.com/viewtopi...5&topic=629059

Notice how Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 only ship with a simple disc check...

Control issues of Killzone 2. People "whined" and improvements were made.

And then we have the eternal issue with Steam and Euros/USDs. Valve came and adjusted the Euro prices somewhat out of the goodness in their hearts. The fact that people complained and bought less stuff had absolutely nothing to do with it, obviously...

I'm sure I can find more examples. Really. I bet they would love to have more customers like you...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 09:12 AM   #114
FearMeAll

Yeah I went through some frustrating crap installing the new Riddick game GTA IV after getting it on steam. I liked steam games because I could just buy and play. Some publishers want more...too much. I have to enter in CD keys and do activation crap it is just ridiculous.

I even had to reboot the pc just to get Riddick and GTA IV to run the first time. Took me a while to figure that out while clicking on the icons several times in a row and nothing happening. The copy protection is getting out of control. Using the steam client should be enough.
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
FearMeAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 04:50 PM   #115
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearMeAll View Post
Yeah I went through some frustrating crap installing the new Riddick game GTA IV after getting it on steam. ...

I even had to reboot the pc just to get Riddick and GTA IV to run the first time. Took me a while to figure that out while clicking on the icons several times in a row and nothing happening. The copy protection is getting out of control. Using the steam client should be enough.
rebooting you PC? man, that is just too much.
Old 01-24-10, 05:55 PM   #116
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearMeAll View Post
Yeah I went through some frustrating crap installing the new Riddick game GTA IV after getting it on steam. I liked steam games because I could just buy and play. Some publishers want more...too much. I have to enter in CD keys and do activation crap it is just ridiculous.

I had to enter the cdkey but I didn't have to reboot... it did install drivers for TAGES but all versions of RIDDICK does that.

Old 01-24-10, 07:51 PM   #117
FearMeAll

Quote:
I had to enter the cdkey but I didn't have to reboot... it did install drivers for TAGES but all versions of RIDDICK does that.
I had to reboot on both of those games..just once now they work, but before that I clicked the games, the process loaded in task manager, then bam it terminated. I was so angry and turned off the pc then started up again then the games worked. These were separate instances with these two games.
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
FearMeAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-10, 09:32 AM   #118
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
I doubt they changed their tune over a few people crying. They didn't do that for the original nor would they for the second one.

Boycotts NEVER work, they know that and don't give a **** when retards like you start screaming for boycott.
Well they changed their tune. As I stated before it wasn't a misunderstanding. They have back peddled and loosened the DRM restrictions.

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture...mupdatescaling

"Over the past two days, I’ve fielded a lot of questions and concerns about the DRM for both the retail and digital versions of BioShock 2. Because of this feedback, we are scaling back BioShock 2’s DRM."

you were wrong again

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote