Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-25-10, 01:00 PM   #109
Fotis
Radeforce GTX7970
 
Fotis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,346
Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Sowk, you aint planing on playing AvP and Battlefield : Bad Company?
__________________
Intel Core i7 920 @3.8GHz|Corsair H50|MSI X58 Platinum|3x2GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 7-8-7-20|Gigabyte Radeon 7970 OC 3GB windforce|Samsung SSD 830 256GB/Intel SSD X25M 80GB|Seagate Ext. 2TB eSata|Corsair TX 750W|Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 7000|Silverstone Grandia GD-01 MX Black|Dell UltraSharp U2412M| Windows 7 x64 Pro
Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-10, 01:12 PM   #110
Sowk
STEAM ID: OSE Killer
 
Sowk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 394
Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotis View Post
Sowk, you aint planing on playing AvP and Battlefield : Bad Company?
Just Added AVP

Never got into Battlefield series.

I don't even have enough time to play the once I have listed now...

I'm interested to see what, if any graphical features DX11 brings and how much of a performance hit.

Game developers need to slow the hell down...
Sowk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-10, 02:58 PM   #111
HYBRID
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 495
Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
You can pick and choose the "facts" that support your argument but your opinions really don't matter to me and I couldn't care less whether you've said "nice things" about Nvidia.

What does that have to do with anything?

As I've repeatedly told you, I've done my own testing and it's in line with G3Ds. The 5970 just isn't that much faster (but it is slightly faster). 10-15% faster against 18 month old technology might get you excited but it doesn't do much for me.

As I said the last time, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Thanks



PS : Maybe you should write to Hilbert (the owner of G3D) and tell him he doesn't know how to do benchmarks properly
OK dude you just keep telling yourself what you believe.
__________________
[Asus Extreme Rampage III| Asus GTX580 Matrix |Intel I7 950 @ 4.011GHZ vcore 1.275| Corsair H80 Liquid Cooler| Intel SSD 80GB & 1 150 GIG Raptor|Corsair Dominator GT CMG6GX3M3A1600C7 | Asus Essence STX|Plextor PX-880SA|Asus BluRay Drive |Cosair HX-850HX| Corsair Obsidian 800D ||Win 7 RTM 64-Bit OEM|Samsung T-240 24" 1920X1200 5MS
HYBRID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-10, 03:25 PM   #112
Slytat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 354
Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYBRID View Post
OK dude you just keep telling yourself what you believe.
That doesn't actually make any sense and there is no need to try and reignite a dead argument.

@ Fotis - Do you have any links that defnitively say that the 10.1 drivers are going to have profiles? I can't find anything concrete.

I found this :

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1385051
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 05:43 AM   #113
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"
 
gulizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Evansville, Indiana (from Detroit)
Posts: 663
Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard
Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Even if ATI was remotely faster, I could careless as well. ATI is junk. The first ATI card I owned literally caught fire inside my case. I called ATI who was the manufacture of the card, this is back when ATI actually made its own card, and they couldn't explain what may have happened. The next card I got for a little bit more after taking the one that burnt back to bestbuy was a 9800. I got BSOD's all the time in Matrix's Online, HL2 card I got with it was cool, and I did keep it, however when HL2 came out the game ran like pure crap on the 9800. So I ended up sitting on a 9800, and going out and grabbing a 5950 Ultra. I think. It may have been a bit smaller. Game play was smoother, even though people claimed the ATI card's were much faster, and less buggier, and there were no crashes.

I've owned nvidia all my life since then. I ain't going to trade it out because some guy says he can get 130 FPS on ATI, opposed to my 100 FPS. So what. I can't tell the difference, if I can play and kill people at the highest level of detail then I couldn't careless so as long as its smooth, and nvidia has done that for me. Some here play with ungodly resolutions, me I am happy with my 1600 by 1050 resolution, and that took me forever to get use to considering I was using the standard 1280 by 1024 resolution.

This is like the great Ford Vs Chevy debacle. These guys get these trucks and they have to make it known they have a better truck, when in reality I work with these trucks all day and I will tell you what, forget what some numbers on a site said, FORD is more reliable, pulls better, last longer. Same for nvidia, its much more reliable (from my experience in owning both ATI, and Nvidia) and the drivers do not crash. In fact I cannot report one blue screen with nvidia drivers. Not one that ever pertained to a blue screen that was nvidia's drivers being at fault. I've had to reinstall them because they didn't install right before, but that is it.

Fermi is what its going to be, nvidia has been schooling ATI for sometime to come. I believe they will continue, and its not about which is better. Its about whose more loyal. Honestly which is more cooler? The pretty nvidia green logo, or the crappy ati red. nvidia has a way cooler logo, a better site to navigate through, more things support nvidia, the name is cooler, I mean just going to their site makes you feel like you have one bad ass card. Which is true you do.
__________________
my rig: 2011 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Powerstroke, DPF/urea delete H&S Mini Maxx tuned, w/ fuel box from IDP ET 1/8 8.40
gulizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 06:14 AM   #114
Fotis
Radeforce GTX7970
 
Fotis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,346
Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
That doesn't actually make any sense and there is no need to try and reignite a dead argument.

@ Fotis - Do you have any links that defnitively say that the 10.1 drivers are going to have profiles? I can't find anything concrete.

I found this :

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1385051
They are in the 10.1 beta version that was leaked some days ago but it might take 10.2 for official support.

Pcgameshardware
Rage3D
__________________
Intel Core i7 920 @3.8GHz|Corsair H50|MSI X58 Platinum|3x2GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 7-8-7-20|Gigabyte Radeon 7970 OC 3GB windforce|Samsung SSD 830 256GB/Intel SSD X25M 80GB|Seagate Ext. 2TB eSata|Corsair TX 750W|Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 7000|Silverstone Grandia GD-01 MX Black|Dell UltraSharp U2412M| Windows 7 x64 Pro
Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 06:39 AM   #115
Slytat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 354
Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotis View Post
They are in the 10.1 beta version that was leaked some days ago but it might take 10.2 for official support.

Pcgameshardware
Rage3D
Ok, I haven't tried those yet but I will right now
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 09:22 AM   #116
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph
 
Johnny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada, EH!
Posts: 779
Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowk View Post
Just Added AVP

Never got into Battlefield series.

I don't even have enough time to play the once I have listed now...

I'm interested to see what, if any graphical features DX11 brings and how much of a performance hit.

Game developers need to slow the hell down...
Correction: Microsoft slow down....game developers speed up.
__________________
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-10, 12:19 PM   #117
shadow001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,526
Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard View Post
Even if ATI was remotely faster, I could careless as well. ATI is junk. The first ATI card I owned literally caught fire inside my case. I called ATI who was the manufacture of the card, this is back when ATI actually made its own card, and they couldn't explain what may have happened. The next card I got for a little bit more after taking the one that burnt back to bestbuy was a 9800. I got BSOD's all the time in Matrix's Online, HL2 card I got with it was cool, and I did keep it, however when HL2 came out the game ran like pure crap on the 9800. So I ended up sitting on a 9800, and going out and grabbing a 5950 Ultra. I think. It may have been a bit smaller. Game play was smoother, even though people claimed the ATI card's were much faster, and less buggier, and there were no crashes.

I've owned nvidia all my life since then. I ain't going to trade it out because some guy says he can get 130 FPS on ATI, opposed to my 100 FPS. So what. I can't tell the difference, if I can play and kill people at the highest level of detail then I couldn't careless so as long as its smooth, and nvidia has done that for me. Some here play with ungodly resolutions, me I am happy with my 1600 by 1050 resolution, and that took me forever to get use to considering I was using the standard 1280 by 1024 resolution.

This is like the great Ford Vs Chevy debacle. These guys get these trucks and they have to make it known they have a better truck, when in reality I work with these trucks all day and I will tell you what, forget what some numbers on a site said, FORD is more reliable, pulls better, last longer. Same for nvidia, its much more reliable (from my experience in owning both ATI, and Nvidia) and the drivers do not crash. In fact I cannot report one blue screen with nvidia drivers. Not one that ever pertained to a blue screen that was nvidia's drivers being at fault. I've had to reinstall them because they didn't install right before, but that is it.

Fermi is what its going to be, nvidia has been schooling ATI for sometime to come. I believe they will continue, and its not about which is better. Its about whose more loyal. Honestly which is more cooler? The pretty nvidia green logo, or the crappy ati red. nvidia has a way cooler logo, a better site to navigate through, more things support nvidia, the name is cooler, I mean just going to their site makes you feel like you have one bad ass card. Which is true you do.

Keep enjoying the wait then i guess....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 12:31 PM   #118
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph
 
Johnny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada, EH!
Posts: 779
Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard View Post
Even if ATI was remotely faster, I could careless as well. ATI is junk. The first ATI card I owned literally caught fire inside my case. I called ATI who was the manufacture of the card, this is back when ATI actually made its own card, and they couldn't explain what may have happened. The next card I got for a little bit more after taking the one that burnt back to bestbuy was a 9800. I got BSOD's all the time in Matrix's Online, HL2 card I got with it was cool, and I did keep it, however when HL2 came out the game ran like pure crap on the 9800. So I ended up sitting on a 9800, and going out and grabbing a 5950 Ultra. I think. It may have been a bit smaller. Game play was smoother, even though people claimed the ATI card's were much faster, and less buggier, and there were no crashes.

I've owned nvidia all my life since then. I ain't going to trade it out because some guy says he can get 130 FPS on ATI, opposed to my 100 FPS. So what. I can't tell the difference, if I can play and kill people at the highest level of detail then I couldn't careless so as long as its smooth, and nvidia has done that for me. Some here play with ungodly resolutions, me I am happy with my 1600 by 1050 resolution, and that took me forever to get use to considering I was using the standard 1280 by 1024 resolution.

This is like the great Ford Vs Chevy debacle. These guys get these trucks and they have to make it known they have a better truck, when in reality I work with these trucks all day and I will tell you what, forget what some numbers on a site said, FORD is more reliable, pulls better, last longer. Same for nvidia, its much more reliable (from my experience in owning both ATI, and Nvidia) and the drivers do not crash. In fact I cannot report one blue screen with nvidia drivers. Not one that ever pertained to a blue screen that was nvidia's drivers being at fault. I've had to reinstall them because they didn't install right before, but that is it.

Fermi is what its going to be, nvidia has been schooling ATI for sometime to come. I believe they will continue, and its not about which is better. Its about whose more loyal. Honestly which is more cooler? The pretty nvidia green logo, or the crappy ati red. nvidia has a way cooler logo, a better site to navigate through, more things support nvidia, the name is cooler, I mean just going to their site makes you feel like you have one bad ass card. Which is true you do.
Yeah cause you're opinion isn't biased by the fact that you spent 50K on a pickup truck.

I've worked in the oilsands most of my adult life.....in the worst mining conditions on earth +40'C summer and -50'C winter....know what holds up....Chevy.....Dodges have issues with the bodies actually falling apart not to mention the front ends are made up of happy thoughts(no real substance), Fords hold up better but they nuke engines so fast you'd wonder if they were made from paper mache...6.4 powerstroke= my injectors like to stick on and hydraulic the piston....yay ford. How much is a new powerstroke? Not to mention clutches and transfer cases...in 10 years we've never had a chevy blow the transfer case, every ford we've had has done it at least once. Honestly I don't know about the new K5500's they've bought...they're too new yet to have issues...maybe they'll succumb to the same transfer case issues as the F-550's only time will tell.

Chev has some issues....mainly front end parts...ball joints and tie rod ends and wheel bearings...but they're way cheaper to fix than a hydraulic'd piston thru the side of the block.

So while you may be basing your opinion on what you believe are facts....many have experiences to the contrary. Brand loyalty is absolutely pointless.

As far as ford pulling harder.....all I have to say is G80 differential...
__________________
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 02:18 PM   #119
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"
 
gulizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Evansville, Indiana (from Detroit)
Posts: 663
Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard
Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Yeah cause you're opinion isn't biased by the fact that you spent 50K on a pickup truck.

I've worked in the oilsands most of my adult life.....in the worst mining conditions on earth +40'C summer and -50'C winter....know what holds up....Chevy.....Dodges have issues with the bodies actually falling apart not to mention the front ends are made up of happy thoughts(no real substance), Fords hold up better but they nuke engines so fast you'd wonder if they were made from paper mache...6.4 powerstroke= my injectors like to stick on and hydraulic the piston....yay ford. How much is a new powerstroke? Not to mention clutches and transfer cases...in 10 years we've never had a chevy blow the transfer case, every ford we've had has done it at least once. Honestly I don't know about the new K5500's they've bought...they're too new yet to have issues...maybe they'll succumb to the same transfer case issues as the F-550's only time will tell.

Chev has some issues....mainly front end parts...ball joints and tie rod ends and wheel bearings...but they're way cheaper to fix than a hydraulic'd piston thru the side of the block.

So while you may be basing your opinion on what you believe are facts....many have experiences to the contrary. Brand loyalty is absolutely pointless.

As far as ford pulling harder.....all I have to say is G80 differential...
I spent way more then 50k, but that isn't nothing for me. Chevy is junk. Its a pushrod motor and pushrod is outdated technology. More moving parts. Thats why the lifters begin to rattle after 100k miles on them. I don't care where you worked at. I've worked in coal mines, and the company I am working for now. We've been around for along time. My boss has trucks that would be considered classics if you seen them. Hes got Ford's he had chevys as well, but none of them made it. 79 Ford F150 that I own now with 700k miles on it. 351 Cleveland. Original everything. My last 6.0L Diesel that everyone swore was a dud, had 330k miles on it, never had nothing but the regular tune ups done at the local dealership.

Facts? Its a fact when you pick up consumer reports, which is the one place you can look, and expect to find the harshes reviews of any vehicle, and find that FORD was the one truck that held up to their testing. Chevrolet and GMC both got on the liability a "Less then average" rating. I'd love to take you on a tour and show you what we do to these poor trucks. We've never had to take a Ford in to have major work done to it. We keep them maintained, and we do own Duramax's, 6.0 V8's, 5.3L Vortec V8's. We have plenty of trucks. Even our rangers out do the bigger trucks at lasting longest. Ford has the strongest motor around. Paper mache? What are you doing to them neglecting to change the oil? We have been tearing down the Executive Inn, in Evansville Indiana. Guess what? A guy hit a rock in a Ford F150 service truck that was to big to go under the truck, he didn't realize it, but it punctured the oil pan. He drove 10 miles before the engine locked, we had the truck towed back to our shop, we poured oil in the spark plug valleys, and fixed the oil pan, and were able to get the motor to start up and run. It now runs with no issues at all. Thats FORD TOUGH.

I've taken these motors apart myself buddy. They are made out way stronger material then anything that Government Motors could have. My Powerstroke has had no issues with Injectors. We have a bunch of F250's with 6.4L's they have high miles and are stock, no issues. We have lots of fun at work. I've tied chains to chevy's and fords, and watched the Ford drag the drive shaft out from under the chevrolet. Ford's are stupid and don't know when to quit. I have nothing to say about Dodge. They have one good thing, thats the cummins, and we can get Ford F650's with the Cummins in them so we don't even buy Dodges. We had one, and the suspension was just terrible. No off road capability what so ever.

Anyway to get back on topic. I never said that my opinion was fact. However nvidia has more fans, more people buy nvidia. Its site is easier to manage. Of course someone who just spent 500 bucks on a new ATI card is going to defend ATI. I hate ATI because it caught fire in my PC. EXPLAIN how a video card catches fire? A 9600 SE! They didn't even think it ran hot enough to put a cooling fan on it, and it catches fire. That case was ruined. It stunk like burnt plastic till the day I got rid of it. Not to mention the fans I had in it helped make the fire worse by supply it with oxygen. I am sorry but when I install an ATI card and I see artifacts in the games I play, I uninstall it, and get a card that doesn't. Like I said I enjoy playing my games smooth and crash free. If that means sacrificing 10% of the already awesome performance, so be it. I'll stick with nvidia, because they have been pretty damn good to me. Plus EVGA doesn't make ATI cards, and I only buy from the US
__________________
my rig: 2011 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Powerstroke, DPF/urea delete H&S Mini Maxx tuned, w/ fuel box from IDP ET 1/8 8.40
gulizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 03:25 PM   #120
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph
 
Johnny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada, EH!
Posts: 779
Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard View Post
I spent way more then 50k, but that isn't nothing for me. Chevy is junk. Its a pushrod motor and pushrod is outdated technology. More moving parts. Thats why the lifters begin to rattle after 100k miles on them. I don't care where you worked at. I've worked in coal mines, and the company I am working for now. We've been around for along time. My boss has trucks that would be considered classics if you seen them. Hes got Ford's he had chevys as well, but none of them made it. 79 Ford F150 that I own now with 700k miles on it. 351 Cleveland. Original everything. My last 6.0L Diesel that everyone swore was a dud, had 330k miles on it, never had nothing but the regular tune ups done at the local dealership.

Facts? Its a fact when you pick up consumer reports, which is the one place you can look, and expect to find the harshes reviews of any vehicle, and find that FORD was the one truck that held up to their testing. Chevrolet and GMC both got on the liability a "Less then average" rating. I'd love to take you on a tour and show you what we do to these poor trucks. We've never had to take a Ford in to have major work done to it. We keep them maintained, and we do own Duramax's, 6.0 V8's, 5.3L Vortec V8's. We have plenty of trucks. Even our rangers out do the bigger trucks at lasting longest. Ford has the strongest motor around. Paper mache? What are you doing to them neglecting to change the oil? We have been tearing down the Executive Inn, in Evansville Indiana. Guess what? A guy hit a rock in a Ford F150 service truck that was to big to go under the truck, he didn't realize it, but it punctured the oil pan. He drove 10 miles before the engine locked, we had the truck towed back to our shop, we poured oil in the spark plug valleys, and fixed the oil pan, and were able to get the motor to start up and run. It now runs with no issues at all. Thats FORD TOUGH.

I've taken these motors apart myself buddy. They are made out way stronger material then anything that Government Motors could have. My Powerstroke has had no issues with Injectors. We have a bunch of F250's with 6.4L's they have high miles and are stock, no issues. We have lots of fun at work. I've tied chains to chevy's and fords, and watched the Ford drag the drive shaft out from under the chevrolet. Ford's are stupid and don't know when to quit. I have nothing to say about Dodge. They have one good thing, thats the cummins, and we can get Ford F650's with the Cummins in them so we don't even buy Dodges. We had one, and the suspension was just terrible. No off road capability what so ever.

Anyway to get back on topic. I never said that my opinion was fact. However nvidia has more fans, more people buy nvidia. Its site is easier to manage. Of course someone who just spent 500 bucks on a new ATI card is going to defend ATI. I hate ATI because it caught fire in my PC. EXPLAIN how a video card catches fire? A 9600 SE! They didn't even think it ran hot enough to put a cooling fan on it, and it catches fire. That case was ruined. It stunk like burnt plastic till the day I got rid of it. Not to mention the fans I had in it helped make the fire worse by supply it with oxygen. I am sorry but when I install an ATI card and I see artifacts in the games I play, I uninstall it, and get a card that doesn't. Like I said I enjoy playing my games smooth and crash free. If that means sacrificing 10% of the already awesome performance, so be it. I'll stick with nvidia, because they have been pretty damn good to me. Plus EVGA doesn't make ATI cards, and I only buy from the US
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=powerstroke+engine+recalls


Back on topic, as consumers we can choose whatever products we wish to support, I'm glad you've had an excellent experience with nVidia. I've used both manufacturers cards, and since I upgrade every cycle I've been through lots. Evga is probably the best GFX card company in the world IMHO.

I've had more driver problems with nVidia...related mostly to install/uninstall error XDC fix that up nicely. And I spent like 1200 bucks on 7950gx2's for Quad SLi...that never ever did work right.

I've only used Ati for the last 2 generation before that it was always nV. I haven't had any real driver issues, other than poor performance with certain "beta" drivers (which is my own fault for trying betas) other than that nothing really.

Like I said I'm glad you love nV...and you love Ford....that's great....brand loyalty....it's cool
__________________
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.