Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-27-10, 08:15 AM   #85
Chrisimo

Default Re: ***Official Mass Effect 2 (PC) Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Yeah, the game allows you to set some major decisions without a save file, but a save file will give you a lot more smaller decisions that effect the game as well. Also since I as level 50 in the original game I got some massive bonus money and resources.
Huh? I didn't get to make any decisions when I started a completely new character...When do you make those?
Chrisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 08:16 AM   #86
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

So this game is amazing. It is a much better game than ME1, and I don't say that because it is more shooter than RPG, I love RPGs, I say that because both games were shooters at heart and this game does that core gameplay 10 times better.

Graphics are amazing... even with AA forced you get a lot of shimmering on metal and stuff, which is common with Bioware unless you super sample it, which I assume I can't do. It really looks amazing though, no texture settings but the textures are stunning anyway.

I also like that you have like 8 options out of the gate rather than 2... I went to the Citadel.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 08:18 AM   #87
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisimo View Post
Huh? I didn't get to make any decisions when I started a completely new character...When do you make those?
There was a screen that should have allowed you to decide if Wrex lived or died, if you saved the council and other things. I read about it in a couple reviews and despite using an old save I saw that screen.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 08:27 AM   #88
Chrisimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
There was a screen that should have allowed you to decide if Wrex lived or died, if you saved the council and other things. I read about it in a couple reviews and despite using an old save I saw that screen.
I had that screen when I importet my character. It was just an information about the choices I'd made in ME1. But when you start a new character, the screen isn't there. You just get the default choices...
Old 01-27-10, 09:05 AM   #89
|MaguS|

So I gave the game a few hours last night and I gotta say, its awesome. Yeah it's RPG Lite now but lets be honest, the Heavier RPG elements in the previous title didn't work too well. Only fear I have is tht my character will be maxed out before even finishing the game. In my opinion a game that allows the player to customize their character shouldn't be able to max every skill in a single play through. They should have created something like Borderlands/Diablos skill tree.

I love the improvements to the shooting though, its so much better now. I actually feel like I have control over my characters accuracy now. The guns do need stats, thats a valid complaint... they have a difference, they aren't just paint jobs but without any stats its such a guessing game. I don't care about a lack of inventory system, I actually like how you pick your equipment but the complete lack of items is kinda meh.

I don't know why they removed armor though, yeah the player can choose his armor but its just stat bonuses not actual armor like the previous game. Worse is that you can't choose your squadmates armor which is just weird. I mean why is one character in the party fully armored yet everyone else in their PJs.

The games look is awesome. The graphics improvements is very noticable, character faces look better and the world seems more active and alive. I love how you travel from location to location now, gives the player alittle more hands on.

My last complaint and probably the thing that bothers me the most is the summary screen when you complete a mission. This just feels out of place in an on going story rpg, its better in a level based game like Serious Sam or just in one that the levels aren't connected or try to be. This kinda interupts the game and just seems out of place.

I know it sounds like im talking negative about the game but I am really nitpicking, overall the game is better then the original. Im having a blast with it.
Old 01-27-10, 09:14 AM   #90
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Yea. Forget about Ashley. Miranda is seriously hot.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 09:15 AM   #91
|MaguS|

BTW Anyone using the 196.21 Nvidia drivers, the Mass Effect 2 profile is broken. You need to add Masseffect2.exe to it so SLi works and if you wana force AA through nHancer.

Well atleast I had to.
Old 01-27-10, 09:51 AM   #92
Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
So I gave the game a few hours last night and I gotta say, its awesome. Yeah it's RPG Lite now but lets be honest, the Heavier RPG elements in the previous title didn't work too well. Only fear I have is tht my character will be maxed out before even finishing the game. In my opinion a game that allows the player to customize their character shouldn't be able to max every skill in a single play through. They should have created something like Borderlands/Diablos skill tree.

I love the improvements to the shooting though, its so much better now. I actually feel like I have control over my characters accuracy now. The guns do need stats, thats a valid complaint... they have a difference, they aren't just paint jobs but without any stats its such a guessing game. I don't care about a lack of inventory system, I actually like how you pick your equipment but the complete lack of items is kinda meh.

I don't know why they removed armor though, yeah the player can choose his armor but its just stat bonuses not actual armor like the previous game. Worse is that you can't choose your squadmates armor which is just weird. I mean why is one character in the party fully armored yet everyone else in their PJs.

The games look is awesome. The graphics improvements is very noticable, character faces look better and the world seems more active and alive. I love how you travel from location to location now, gives the player alittle more hands on.

My last complaint and probably the thing that bothers me the most is the summary screen when you complete a mission. This just feels out of place in an on going story rpg, its better in a level based game like Serious Sam or just in one that the levels aren't connected or try to be. This kinda interupts the game and just seems out of place.

I know it sounds like im talking negative about the game but I am really nitpicking, overall the game is better then the original. Im having a blast with it.
Nice write up. Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a good action game. Not a deeper game from the first like I was hoping for but will buy this eventually on the cheap.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-10, 09:59 AM   #93
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
I had that screen when I importet my character. It was just an information about the choices I'd made in ME1. But when you start a new character, the screen isn't there. You just get the default choices...
There was a misunderstanding about this apparently - early review copies and test builds had a screen where you could set decisions made in the previous game, but currently a new game without a previous ME1 save cannot be altered. I'm not sure what the presets are, but I believe they are generally based on "renegade" choices from the first game.

No idea if you get to make the choices after completing the game though. It'd be kind of nice.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 10:14 AM   #94
Chrisimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
There was a misunderstanding about this apparently - early review copies and test builds had a screen where you could set decisions made in the previous game, but currently a new game without a previous ME1 save cannot be altered. I'm not sure what the presets are, but I believe they are generally based on "renegade" choices from the first game.

No idea if you get to make the choices after completing the game though. It'd be kind of nice.
Yeah, mostly Renegade I think. Council dead, Wrex dead, Rachni dead. Plus you don't meet Characters like Conrad Verner and Gianna Parasini..
Old 01-27-10, 10:24 AM   #95
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Yeah, mostly Renegade I think. Council dead, Wrex dead, Rachni dead. Plus you don't meet Characters like Conrad Verner and Gianna Parasini..
Wow Wrex dead by default? That's pretty harsh, even if you were renegade you could save him in the first game.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 10:35 AM   #96
stefan9

I still have to wait till friday, friday afternoon to be exact since our CE was slightly delayed. Seems everyone is enjoying the game though, so the wait should be worth it.
2x2 gig ddr 2 1200 mhz ocz reaper ram
250 gig and 320 gig sata 2 seagate baracuda h/d
intel core2duo e8500
evga geforce 260gtx
sound max dts card
zalman 9500at
windows 7 home premium
stefan9 is offline   Reply With Quote