Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-30-10, 03:15 PM   #25
Redeemed

Default Re: Looking for advice on best CPU/Mobo Combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NrthnStar5 View Post
I would think the PSU would be sufficient as well. However, when I hooked everything up, the computer would not power on. The fans and such acted like they wanted to start spinning by moving a little bit, so I decided to try an Alternative PSU (Thermaltake 850W) and the system powered up just fine.

So I am at a loss as to why the OCZ would not work. Is it possible it's a bad power cable?
That very well could be... hard to say unfortunately.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 03:16 PM   #26
grey_1

The 750W is more than enough, and it could be any number of issues from a bad cable to a pin pushed backwards out of a connector.

FYI - I'm a little wary of PSUs that act up. If I've verified everything is tightly connected after reseating, it may get 3 more attempts at most before trying another.

If the second PSU works fine I just give up on the first as it has the potential to damage other components if/when it decides to fry. Some here may call it wasteful, but I don't have a bunch of replacement parts just sitting around.
Old 01-30-10, 03:24 PM   #27
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
The 750W is more than enough, and it could be any number of issues from a bad cable to a pin pushed backwards out of a connector.

FYI - I'm a little wary of PSUs that act up. If I've verified everything is tightly connected after reseating, it may get 3 more attempts at most before trying another.

If the second PSU works fine I just give up on the first as it has the potential to damage other components if/when it decides to fry. Some here may call it wasteful, but I don't have a bunch of replacement parts just sitting around.
Not to mention money laying around to replace whatever parts that dying PSU takes with it.

PSUs are the *one* component you *never* want to skimp on. It's literally the heart of your computer.
Old 01-31-10, 10:33 AM   #28
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Not to mention money laying around to replace whatever parts that dying PSU takes with it.

PSUs are the *one* component you *never* want to skimp on. It's literally the heart of your computer.
Yeah, and it's always the most expensive part of the system that goes with it isn't fellas?
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 11:18 AM   #29
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Yeah, and it's always the most expensive part of the system that goes with it isn't fellas?
No kidding, right?
Old 02-01-10, 12:29 PM   #30
NrthnStar5

Thanks everyone for the friendly input, it is appreciated.

I went out and got a new Antec 650W PSU, and all is OK now with my new AMD/Asus setup. Except for one tiny detail. Every time I turn the PC on it tells me "New Cpu Installed" and prompts me to push F1 to enter setup or F2 to load defaults and continue. Well, I tried taking out the CPu and putting it back in, but it didn't help. Right now I just disabled the option to prompt but it still gives the message every time.

I'd like to fix it versus just turning the prompt off. any suggestions? I haven't removed and re-inserted the battery yet, may that help? Appreciate it guys
NrthnStar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 12:43 PM   #31
Redeemed

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the friendly input, it is appreciated.

I went out and got a new Antec 650W PSU, and all is OK now with my new AMD/Asus setup. Except for one tiny detail. Every time I turn the PC on it tells me "New Cpu Installed" and prompts me to push F1 to enter setup or F2 to load defaults and continue. Well, I tried taking out the CPu and putting it back in, but it didn't help. Right now I just disabled the option to prompt but it still gives the message every time.

I'd like to fix it versus just turning the prompt off. any suggestions? I haven't removed and re-inserted the battery yet, may that help? Appreciate it guys
Try removing the battery- maybe even try replacing it... just a CR2032... can find those at near any store that sells batteries in general (AA, AAA, C, D, etc).

Also, might try updating the BIOS. If it's the latest BIOS- could be a bug so try reflashing it.

Enjoy your new setup bro!
Old 02-02-10, 11:48 AM   #32
NrthnStar5

Taking out the battery and putting it back in fixed the problem of the constant "New CPU Installed" message! I have everything up and running, and it does seem smoother and snappier with the AMD. I have it OC'd to 3.63 ghz at this point. I was able to take it higher, but anything higher would cause the computer to crash when running the WEI.

Anyone have any suggestions on taking it higher? I have not increased voltage at all at this point.

Old 02-02-10, 01:14 PM   #33
Redeemed

Quote:
Taking out the battery and putting it back in fixed the problem of the constant "New CPU Installed" message! I have everything up and running, and it does seem smoother and snappier with the AMD. I have it OC'd to 3.63 ghz at this point. I was able to take it higher, but anything higher would cause the computer to crash when running the WEI.

Anyone have any suggestions on taking it higher? I have not increased voltage at all at this point.
PhenomII's can handle insanely high voltage. I'll cover some basics, as it appears you have some decent knowledge on OC'ing as is- but you always want to read up on the parts you're OC'ing first- read up on others with your CPU and how they oc'd it- with your motherboard and what they did when oc'ing, etc.

*RAM:
Make sure you're RAM is up to the task of oc'ing- RAM can greatly hold back your results. Since your CPU is a BE that means the multiplyer is unlocked, this can help you get around RAM that is sensitive to oc'ing by just upping the clock multiplier of the CPU. From my reading and experience, however, it's better to have a balance of an increased CPU multiplier and higher RAM speed. This will allow for a higher over all CPU speed, while not entirely relying on the CPU multiplyer to achieve said OC.

*Motherboard:
Be certain to read up on your motherboard. Research what other people whom own the exact same model of motherboard are doing when they oc. Obviously, and this goes with every component- you want to do what the successful oc'ers are doing. That probably could have gone unsaid but I'm just covering all the bases as best I can here.

You might need to flash your mobo to the latest bios to acheive the highest OC. Again, just do your research here and success should be relatively easy.

*CPU:
Just because one person with the exact same RAM as you, exact same motherboard as you, and exact same CPU as you achieved a specific OC- does not guarantee you the same level of success. Most people can get to or near 4GHz with relative ease on air cooling. Some higher (I've seen 4.2Ghz before), some less. A lot of it also boils down to preference. The higher the oc, the greater the amount of voltage needed- be it for the CPU, HT link, or RAM. Higher voltage means more heat. And we all know the number one killer of components is heat. Or, excessive amounts of it that is. The objective should be to find an overclock that has the greatest balance of GHz increase, while using as little voltage increase as possible while remaining stable, and as low idle and max load temps as possible for your configuration. The best practice is incremental increases in CPU multiplier, voltage, and Memory speeds. Up the CPU multiplier by one (if default is 10x, then go to 10.5 if available- if not, then 11x), if the system loads into windows just fine, and passes stress testing, try upping the memory speed by the same increment. Load into windows and see if system passes stress testing. Repeat this on down the line until you find your maximum stable over clock.

Some people will tell you to just focus on the cpu multiplier- find the maximum stable oc using the multiplier alone. Then move on to increasing the voltage to see if that allows for the use of a higher multiplier. Once you find the maximum stable oc through increased multiplier and voltage- move on to the RAM and HTT link. This isn't wise, as upping the memory speed will also increase the CPU speed, meaning you'll have to find a balance between the CPU multiplier + voltage and RAM speed anyways. Might as well find that balance of all components involved from the get-go... IMO.

*HSF:
Cooling. Higher over-clocks call for better, usually more expensive, cooling solutions. Stock cooling will only get you so far.

Since you're on air cooling, make sure you have plenty of air flow and ventilation in your case. If you have the ability to add fans to the case to help increase and/or improve air flow then you should do this. I tend to prefer fans with a higher CFM rating that doesn't have an insanely high db (noise) rating. Again, the balance of both- high CFM and low noise is what I look for. I then look to people whom own the fans reviews to determine if the listed rating is indeed accurate or not.

The Ultra120 Extreme seems to be the king of CPU Heat Sinks right now. Not sure what you're using, but there are other comparable solutions out there as well, some for slightly less money (and slightly lower cooling-performance). Again, best thing here is to just do your research before choosing a cooler. Maybe you cannot afford the Ultra120 Extreme- there are cheaper yet near comparable coolers available.

This is far from in-depth and I didn't cover many things- but it should be enough to get you pointed in the right direction. There's many threads covering over clocking with the PhenomII series here in the forums, and on other websites as well. Be sure to look into each of them to help you achieve better results.
Old 02-02-10, 02:56 PM   #34
NrthnStar5

Thanks for the in depth reply Redeemed. It is much appreciated. I have overclocked CPU's in the past, but usually work within the limits of stock voltage/multiplier. My Intel q9550 I could OC to 3.40 ghz without adjusting the multiplier or upping voltage. So the information you've provided will be helpful guidance.

I am on stock heatsink right now but will be getting an aftermarket one before OC'ing more. I have the Antec Skeleton Enclosure so I have quite good air flow
Old 02-02-10, 11:44 PM   #35
NrthnStar5

Experiencing some oddness regarding the USB ports on my M4N78 Pro mobo.... it's strange and I'm not sure what the cause could be.

I have a DWA-140 Wireless USB adapter. Well, My bandwidth has been quite crippled lately since I installed my new Mobo and cpu. At first I thought maybe the router/modem needed rebooted so I did that. No improvement. Did a speed test on my computer and got between 3-4mb down. Did a speed test on another computer and got 7-8mb. I tried all the ports on the back of the motherboard with no difference. I plugged it into the front size USB on my enclosure, and experience much improved results. However, windows is saying my front USB ports are not usb 2.0.... which they most certainly should be. I've checked and double checked all my bios settings.

One thing also when I had it plugged into the back of the mobo.... when running a speed test, the throughput seemed spotty. Like it would pause for very brief moments while the speed test was running, so something is definitely off. I thought maybe it could be my adapter, but I never had this issue with my previous mobo.

Any ideas guys?