Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-06-10, 08:15 PM   #1
zBeeble

Default a) hooray!; b) nvidia-settings

I must say, "Hooray!" ... I can now run FreeBSD in amd64 mode and have acceptable video performance!

However, I must next ask: what about nvidia-settings for amd64?

Just as a data point, I'm running a Core-i7 with 6G of RAM and a 275-GTX. I havn't tested a lot of things, but native apps like glxgears and whatnot work fine.

I've been trying to get steam running with wine --- but that's a challenge for an entirely different forum.
zBeeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 10:21 AM   #2
rnejdl

Default Re: a) hooray!; b) nvidia-settings

Glad to see someone else has it running good. I have a GT220 card and the Core i7 920 processor. I have tested with 4GB and 12GB running AMD64. I use KDE4. I have the fun kernel panic when I exit X windows. Are you using KDE or GNOME? Are you using a custom kernel? What motherboard are you using?

I'm just trying to figure out what I can since many people are reporting success while a few of us are reporting panic's.

Thanks!
Rusty Nejdl
http://networking.ringofsaturn.com
rnejdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 10:30 AM   #3
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@zBeeble: a 64-bit binary of nvidia-settings was included with the amd64 driver package; are you saying that doesn't work for you, or that you haven't been able to locate it on your system?

@rnejdl: I apologize that the crash hasn't been resolved, yet. It's the top item on my TODO list for FreeBSD, but unfortunately, it's currently behind other work. The problem is considered a blocker for future amd64 BETA releases.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-10, 03:43 PM   #4
zBeeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnejdl View Post
Glad to see someone else has it running good. I have a GT220 card and the Core i7 920 processor. I have tested with 4GB and 12GB running AMD64. I use KDE4. I have the fun kernel panic when I exit X windows. Are you using KDE or GNOME? Are you using a custom kernel? What motherboard are you using?

I'm just trying to figure out what I can since many people are reporting success while a few of us are reporting panic's.
I'm not (at the moment) running KDE or gnome. I tend to use my own ancient config of FVWM2 (heh). I'm running a standard kernel and the following KO's are loaded: snd_hda, snd_uaudio, sound, nvidia, linux, fuse.

My motherboard is the ASUS/ROG Rampage II Gene. I've got 4 SATA drives running in two RAID-1 arrays --- one array with windoze on it and one with FreeBSD.

I also have a laptop with 8700-SLI in it, but I haven't got around to testing the new stuff in it yet. It's also running ZFS, so maybe that will be an adventure.
Old 01-13-10, 03:54 PM   #5
zBeeble

[quote=zander;2159734]@zBeeble: a 64-bit binary of nvidia-settings was included with the amd64 driver package; are you saying that doesn't work for you, or that you haven't been able to locate it on your system?
/QUOTE]

Ah. You're absolutely right. I didn't expect this. I had fetched and compiled it (which doesn't work). Thank-you.

I'm not using it full-time yet, but I'm considering that soon. So far, I havn't been able to identify any other problems. My system does not crash exiting X.
Old 01-25-10, 01:05 PM   #6
zBeeble

I now have a 2nd datapoint. I have an XPS laptop with dual 8700-SLI in it and a 3Ghz Core2-duo. Weighs a ton . It has 4G RAM and is using ZFS for /usr and /var (ufs for root) on two 320G drives (it's a big laptop). It runs in both 32bit and 64 bit mode and is 8.0p1.

Anyways... it works great! Again, I've only tested basic GL programs, but they work. The basic screen response is miles better than either of the earlier drivers.

SLI still doesn't work, but I gather that's "known". The driver appears to see both cards, but the monitors seem to attach to only one of them.
Old 02-04-10, 02:22 PM   #7
rnejdl

Zander,

Is there any updates on this? I believe that we have found that certain cards behave differently but we still see freeze conditions even on "good" cards.

Thanks!
Rusty Nejdl
rnejdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 02:55 PM   #8
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Unfortunately, I don't have any updates (I wish I did). We have a number of FreeBSD specific driver changes queued and a few different problems to investigate, but other (much higher-priority) projects are presently demanding all of our time.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote