Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-20-03, 10:54 AM   #1
Teen2k4

Send a message via AIM to Teen2k4
Question Im new to lindows and need help

Ok i just installed lindows 4 and i need to know how to put the nvidia geforce drivers on for my geforce 4 ti 4400 256 mb of ram. and the same for the creative sound blaster live 5.1 x-gamer. if someone would help me and tell me what drivers to use it would be great... i dont know what drivers lindows uses...
Teen2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-03, 09:59 PM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Well, I haven't touched Lindows myself, or even looked at what they've done to the linux distro, which means what I'm about to say is PROBABLY valid. I haven't seen anyone post something specific about lindows here yet, so I assume either nobody has tried to use the nvidia driver with it, or it works as expected.

Ok, that said, Lindows is a distribution of Linux. It looks spiffy and neat, but underneath as far as I know, it is linux. So you'd install the nvidia driver just as the others here do, follow the instructions on the nvidia site for installing the IA32 version of the linux driver.

Read, the Readme that you will find here.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-4496.html

download the file you find there. Follow instructions in the readme (and search this forum for help on specific points you don't understand since the basic instructions have been posted many times, use precise search term and phrases).

When it works, or doesn't, or sometime in between feel free to drop other questions.
Old 10-21-03, 03:07 AM   #3
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

To add to what was said earlier, in addition to making changes to your XF86Config-4 file you will need to get out of your desktop environment temporarily so that installation may take place. Save your work, open up an xterm (aka command prompt or shell), make sure you're "root" (A Linux word for administrator, use the whoami command to figure out who you are and use the su command if you're not "root"), and type init 3 to kill your desktop. Run the nVidia installer and assuming you made the correct changes to your XF86Config-4 file and the install went smoothly, you can type init 5 to get back to your desktop. Pretty neat how you can swap video drivers without even rebooting.

I would strongly advise attaching your modified /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and uploading it to the forum so others can look at it before you do what I just described. Also, make sure to back up your old XF86Config-4 file so that if necessary you may revert back to using it should the new one fail for any reason.

I didn't want to bore you with too many details, but if you would like some assistance in using the command prompt then I and many others around here can help.