Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-10, 10:33 PM   #109
JasonPC

Default Re: NVIDIA GF100 Previews

I've never had issues with ATI cards or drivers. Considering all the problems I've had with nvidia's drivers I'm willing to risk having issues with ATI drivers since I don't have a lot to lose. I know it's rumored but when XMAN52373 says 10% now I truly am concerned since he is typically very pro nvidia I'm going to wait and see who has the best price/performance and whoever comes on top will likely get my buy. I think ATI may be in the best position to deliver that. A 10% difference in performance is no biggie to me. Either card will improve my performance by quite a lot. But the price difference between the two is definitely going to be the deciding factor.
Old 02-12-10, 08:27 AM   #110
Wolken007

Send a message via AIM to Wolken007 Send a message via MSN to Wolken007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard View Post
Hasn't been confirmed. In fact just rumors thus far. No one can say rather the final version will use more power, or even run hotter. Its all speculations.. and even if it does all the above right now in its current phase, it may not be with the final product that the public gets. Them holding back all the information is nerve racking. Its either one of two things. The card is really crappy, or its good enough its going to blow ATI out of the water... Either way I highly doubt I'll be purchasing a crappy ATI card. I dislike them, and their drivers.

Further more this is an nvidia fan site, and I've seen way to many fan boys outside of this thread that have just blown up with how nvidia sucks, with less then 100 post, some of them fresh registered users. Some of these guys that have been here for awhile that have ati cards that is fine, but it just shows that loyality to a company is lacking bad. Its whoever does better I suppose. Nvidia has yet to sell me a card that has not been able to play my games, and run my programs smoothly. I don't play musical cards.. Some people have the money to do that, I do, but I can think of better things to spend my money on then upgrading for a 10% increase, and honestly if it does 10% better at any game then nvidia has still won for now as far as performance....

So at the risk of being flamed again. Thats all I got to say.
gulizard, people respond negatively to your posts because you don't seem to have a middle-of-the-road approach. It is perfectly fine if you prefer nvidia products over ATI. However, you fail to recognize that both companies have had issues over the years with different products. Plenty of users have both positive and negative experiences with both. I know the name of the site is nvnews and has focused traditionally on nvidia products, but that doesn't mean that everyone here has to be a die-hard nvidia fan. I have used both products over the years and will continue to do so. I welcome the companies competing for the performance crown.

You make a lot of claims about ATI products based on a seemingly limited experience from quite some time ago. For you to make claims like "ATI has crappy drivers" and "ATI doesn't do AA as well as nvidia" and "Eye Affinity (which by the way, is actually Eyefinity) is overkill and worthless" without having used ATI's current generation of products is ridiculous. If you are loyal to nvidia and want to buy their product no matter what, that is fine -- just don't make claims about products that you have no experience with.
Old 02-12-10, 11:12 AM   #111
XMAN52373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
That doesn't make much sense. A 5970 will be at least 50-60% faster than a 5870 most of the time. In cases where Crossfire scales optimally, around 75-80%. How does less than a 20% increase in shader capacity (448>512) make up that difference to where it would go from only beating 5870 by 10% to close with 5970?
The 448SP part and the 512SP are going to have different clocks. The 448SP should come in, unless they have changed things, 450-475 for the core and around 1250-1300 for the domiain while having just 40ROPs. The 512SP part is 48ROPs and should come in at 600-625 core and 1450-1500 for domain clocks.
8GB DDR2 PC8500
Windows 7 U x64
Old 02-12-10, 02:24 PM   #112
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolken007 View Post
gulizard, people respond negatively to your posts because you don't seem to have a middle-of-the-road approach. It is perfectly fine if you prefer nvidia products over ATI. However, you fail to recognize that both companies have had issues over the years with different products. Plenty of users have both positive and negative experiences with both. I know the name of the site is nvnews and has focused traditionally on nvidia products, but that doesn't mean that everyone here has to be a die-hard nvidia fan. I have used both products over the years and will continue to do so. I welcome the companies competing for the performance crown.

You make a lot of claims about ATI products based on a seemingly limited experience from quite some time ago. For you to make claims like "ATI has crappy drivers" and "ATI doesn't do AA as well as nvidia" and "Eye Affinity (which by the way, is actually Eyefinity) is overkill and worthless" without having used ATI's current generation of products is ridiculous. If you are loyal to nvidia and want to buy their product no matter what, that is fine -- just don't make claims about products that you have no experience with.
I have a 4800x2 series card behind me in a box. I used it for 2 weeks, and went back to nvidia.

As for the way I approach the situation, and address these guys with 100 or less post that are here calling people names, and attempting to make it look as if nvidia has fallen those are the reasons I get angry. Makes me not even want to come to this site. I like technology to. I just never liked ATI, and I haven't registered over at Rage3d and started posting how crappy ATI has, but I have a half of mind to, considering that a lot of these new users have came here with no indications of ever owning an nvidia card. When a company falls behind, or doesn't keep up theres always one guy that had a bad experience with nvidia, maybe he got a DOA card, and blames nvidia, but hes the guy registering here and bashing nvidia, and trying to make his beloved ATI card look so good.

People are putting nvidia down an awful lot, considering they or no one for that matter has any proof of what nvidia is going to do. Its all speculation. The fact its taken this long, tells me personally they are probably finalizing the card. People are saying it will use more power then ATI? How can you prove this? Even if you found a site that shows power consumption that is not the final product. It isn't released. When its released even then you shouldn't be here with an ATI card telling people how horrible nvidia is.

Look up my post up until this mess started. Not once have I ever posted a single negative thing towards ATI, or anyone that owns an ATI card. Its because of these ass hats on here now, that I've gotten so hostile, because I come into this thread to be informed about nvidia graphics cards, and how it may compare, not to hear how the company is junk, and that people hate nvidia so much, and all that non sense. So when that stops maybe I will be a little nicer in my post.

Again no matter what a fan of ATI tells me I am loyal. I do not play musical chairs with anything. I don't swap between brands... I went to Intel after AMD bought ATI. People who are loyal and want to register here because they are a fan of nvidia, and technology, shouldn't be so darn hostile, and you know those same people here that have been here for awhile that are running nvidia through the mud, are the same ones that probably were doing it to ATI when nvidia was on top.

Nvidia has more games that it supports. Much larger gaming platform then ATI has right now. I am choosing to continue to buy nvidia products. I could really careless, as long as my card I got can run my game at the highest setting, and my desired resolution, at 45-60 FPS. If it can do 100 thats cool to, but I am not going to turn my back on a good quality made nvidia card that I have been buying for years over a few loss in FPS, if thats even the case.
Old 02-12-10, 04:47 PM   #113
Wolken007

Send a message via AIM to Wolken007 Send a message via MSN to Wolken007

Quote:
Nvidia has more games that it supports. Much larger gaming platform then ATI has right now.
gulizard, I don't think anyone has any concerns with your loyalty towards nvidia -- it is statements like this, and the others I pointed out earlier, that are irritating. I don't mean to stir up anything and am not trying to be hostile in any way -- you just need to realize that these are the types of statements that are going to cause problems because they simply aren't true.
Old 02-12-10, 06:29 PM   #114
JasonPC

Seriously what games are out that aren't supported by ATI?
Old 02-12-10, 06:38 PM   #115
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolken007 View Post
gulizard, I don't think anyone has any concerns with your loyalty towards nvidia -- it is statements like this, and the others I pointed out earlier, that are irritating. I don't mean to stir up anything and am not trying to be hostile in any way -- you just need to realize that these are the types of statements that are going to cause problems because they simply aren't true.
Explain how they aren't true? Nvidia's name is on a lot more games out there. Some really great games have physics support which is nvidia only. That is what I meant by the statement. That is a good reason to stay nvidia as of right now. ATI hasn't been able to keep up long enough to really have its names on any real big titles that I know of. AVP is the only one that I believe ATI has had its name on as of recent.
Old 02-12-10, 06:46 PM   #116
JasonPC

There is a difference between marketing and actually supporting a game though.

Old 02-12-10, 08:34 PM   #117
Aphot
lol wut?

Send a message via AIM to Aphot Send a message via MSN to Aphot

I'm selling my GTX 285 tomorrow and hopefully Nvidia will give me something to buy soon. If not i'm going to have to buy an ATI.
2 HIS HD6970's in Crossfire
Western Digital;
2 Velociraptor 300GB in Raid 0
2 Caviar Black 1.0TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
Denon PRA-1000 , POA-1500
Celestion Ditton 442's
Corsair HX 1050
Antec P183
Dell U2410
Sennheiser HD 555
Razer Deathadder / Razer Lycosa
Old 02-12-10, 09:27 PM   #118
Viral
Registered User of Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAN52373 View Post
The 448SP part and the 512SP are going to have different clocks. The 448SP should come in, unless they have changed things, 450-475 for the core and around 1250-1300 for the domiain while having just 40ROPs. The 512SP part is 48ROPs and should come in at 600-625 core and 1450-1500 for domain clocks.
I can't see them clocking their high end part that low, even if they do plan to launch a higher end part later on.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Old 02-13-10, 12:30 AM   #119
XMAN52373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
I can't see them clocking their high end part that low, even if they do plan to launch a higher end part later on.
The GTX470 isn't their highend, its their second tier highend. And why can't you believe it? If clocks are but 1 of the 2 reason the 512Sp part isn't available, why is it so hard to believe lower clocked secodn tier part? ATI is doing with the 5850 vs the 5870. The 5830 will have even lower clock than the 5850.
8GB DDR2 PC8500
Windows 7 U x64
Old 02-13-10, 12:53 AM   #120
Xion X2

Quote:
As far as Eye Affinity that is over kill. Those lines in the middle of the screen would bug the hell outta of me. Considering all that crap is, is a bunch of monitors put together, why not just by a freaking 50 inch LCD HD TV and hook it, I guess its for that insane resolution, but still...
Doesn't sound like you understand how Eyefinity works. Hooking up a 50" LCD would not give you the same experience.

What Eyefinity does is show you parts of the game that you don't get to see on a single display. So in your 50" LCD example, there are parts of the game to your left and your right field of view that you're not seeing on screen that you would with Eyefinity.

Eyefinity doesn't simply stretch the same experience across three monitors. It opens up more of the game for you to see at any point in time.

Also, Nvidia or ATI slapping their name on the back of a game box or game intro doesn't mean a goddam thing. There have been plenty of games that played perfectly on the competition's hardware, like Half Life 2, for example. ATI marketed it, but I never had problems playing it on an Nvidia card. Did you? What about Call of Juarez? That's another that was marketed by ATI yet played fine on Nvidia. That's nothing but a cop out to stick with a certain vendor. In reality, it doesn't mean ##&@.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Closed Thread