Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-25-09, 11:09 AM   #25
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

Default Re: Windows 7 Application Compatibility Thread

Just got Win 7 Pro 64 bit. Moved from XP. I was prepared to lose some programs that I really liked but to my surprise, the ones I really thought I would lose are working fine.

Programs working I thought wouldn't:
RipIt4Me
DVD Decrypter
DVD Shrink

All my games that I had worked fine. I had all my games installed on E and D drive so I didn't lose them when clean installing Win 7. It turns out I only had to re-install 2 games out of about 50 that I had. The rest worked just by clicking on the game exe. I had Steam installed on D drive so it still worked fine and all games on Steam still work fine. A nice benefit of not having just one hard drive with everything installed on it.

I had Power DVD 7 Deluxe and heard here it doesn't work so I didn't bother trying to install it. I'll just use WMP 12 which is fine with me.

The one thing I did lose was my TV Tuner. Was kind of bummed about that. It was a Leadtek Winfast USB 2 tuner which was phased out by Leadtek a couple of years ago. Perfectly good tuner that is now worthless because of no 64 bit drivers. Not even sure it would have worked with Win 7 32 bit. I have to get me another TV tuner. My computer is in my own room I built in my garage so I did use the TV quite a bit while on the computer. I just ordered another one, Hauppage 1950 which is still USB 2 (what I preferred) and is certified to work on Win 7 64 bit.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-09, 04:22 PM   #26
Dr.Nick

PowerDVD works great as long as you only go up to version 4617a. Any patch after that will remove the whole thing
Old 11-18-09, 12:45 AM   #27
mullet

ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum Works great with Windows 7 home prem 64bit. It has both HD-DVD & Blu-Ray support.
Old 11-20-09, 05:42 AM   #28
betterdan

So far only 1 program I have needs to be run in Win XP compatibility mode and that is Pixela ImageMixer 3 SE that came with my Canon HD camcorder. It is a known problem and stated on thier site that if run under Win 7 it is extremely slow.
Old 11-20-09, 12:12 PM   #29
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
So far I found few apps that don't want to function with Win7, probably can fixed easily with a small fix.

1) TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress - simply crashes on startup
Same as Batman:AA developers said in response to some 'bug' in a certain level, the malfunction lies within your moral code... TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress works like a charm under Windows 7, I bought it like a month ago and it works flawlessly, video conversion at its best.
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 02:05 PM   #30
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

when I initially tested it, it didn't work, haven't tried it since mid July.
Old 11-20-09, 02:40 PM   #31
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Well... maybe my answer sounded a bit rude, I apologize to you for that, nekro. (it's just I don't understand many people's thoughts on 'hey, this software is great. paying? of course not' and they even pretend having the right to complain about it... that just drives me mad, nonsense is not my cup of tea, but that was not a reason for me to charge against you, so I'm sorry about that :S).

The problem with TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0 is it doesn't work if you have it non-legal, at least not in Windows 7, in Vista and previous OS, yes, it does, but the patch causes an APPCRASH event, even if many sites suggested turning 'run as administrator' on, the only result was either a crash or the splash screen showing up and nothing more.

As soon as I bought it, it just worked flawlessly so my conclussion is just the pirated copy doesn't work, simple as that. Even if I have to admit 100$ a copy is a bit expensive...
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 03:28 PM   #32
shabby
Forcefed GXP

I couldn't get TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress working under win7 either, had to use the virtual xp mode to get it working.

Old 02-15-10, 12:22 AM   #33
Tevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Heads up

O&O Defrag 11, don't use/try boottime defrag, will not work

What will happen is computer will be stuck in black screen, and will never get to login screen.

workaround, if you get stuck in black screen. hard reboot, go to safe mode. In safe mode disable O&O service. Then boot into normal mode, then turn the service back on, and disable boot time defrag.
Hey all,

Apologies, first time poster here. I registered as I am at a dead end and your forum seems to be the most intelligent that I have read.

Nekrosoft, I am having the problem you detailed with O&O Defrag in offline mode and I followed your instructions; I went in via Safemode, went to Run -> services.msc and set O&O Defrag (there was only one option that I could see) to Manual.
I then rebooted and get the same black screen of nothingness.
I then tried setting it to Disabled, still get the black screen.

Choosing 'Last Known' through Safemode still warrants the black screen.

I cannot go in and uninstall O&O in Safemode, obviously... Well that I know how to anyways (was going through Control Panel -> Programs).

I'm going nuts here, with no idea of what to do next to get my PC running as per normal, and have a bundle of photography work I need to be working on..!!

If anyone could offer any help please, it would be MUCH appreciated!

Windows 7 64bit. O&O Defrag 11.5+.
Am happy to just uninstall O&O and be done with it if that would work.

Hell, can I go in via command prompt and just delete the O&O directory? Or would that just create more problems?

Thanks all. Please ask any questions you think necessary.

Tev.
Tevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 12:36 AM   #34
john19055

It probally want let you delete it ,Are you getting the black screen,have you cheched there site and seen if they have a update patch.O&O controls a lot of things ,if you can't get it out the regular way and if it is causeng really bad problems ,you might have to do a reinstall.But if it is a legal copy I would think O&O would have some way to get it out or a patch to fix it.I have a copy of windows 7 pro 64bit that has never been open because I am worried about what software is not going to work right with it.I still like windows XP 32bit the best ,I wish it could use more ram and they put out a DX10 and Dx11 patch if that is even possable.
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 11:03 PM   #35
wheeljack12

Send a message via Skype™ to wheeljack12

you guys might want to do this for a sp1 compatibility thread.
gigabyte g1.sniper 5 mb, 8gb ddr3-1866 mhz ram in dual channel,intel core i7 4790 3.6 ghz quad core cpu, asus gtx 780 3gb vc,OCZ vector 150 240 gb ssd x 2 in raid 0 (intel raid),antec hcg-850 850 watt 80 plus bronze psu,corsair carbide 500r white case,pioneer bdr-208 15x bluray writer, steelseries 6gv2 keyboard ,acer gv215hv 21.5 inch 1080p lcd monitor, zalman eclipse 8200dpi mouse,xbox 360 wired controller for windows,kingston 8gb usb 2.0 flash drive,windows 8.1 64 bit,creative labs sound blaster zxr pci-e sc,logitech s120 2.0 speakers

I'd rather walk with God in the Dark than shine in the light alone.
wheeljack12 is offline   Reply With Quote