Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-21-10, 12:07 AM   #61
JasonPC

Default Re: Nvidia may be in trouble according to this article

I really think Charlie is just being 100% sensationalist now but we'll soon find out.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 12:28 AM   #62
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPC View Post
I really think Charlie is just being 100% sensationalist now but we'll soon find out.

True,but that's his style of writing really,although when you think about it,it could be the main reason why benchmark numbers still haven't leaked at all,and there's got to be at least some Fermi cards done by now,so the hardware is available even if in limited numbers.

And the keeping it a secret not to alert ATI just how fast Fermi is doesn't fly anymore since the HD5*** cards are ancient history and due for a refresh in the next 2~3 months,so Fermi is going to face faster cards with more mature drivers by the time it's out in decent quantities anyhow.

The tech industry is brutal and unforgiving when your product is delayed this much....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 12:36 AM   #63
JasonPC

Well I'm going to say it right now. If the GTX 480 is only up to 5% faster than the 5870 in most real world gaming benchmarks, I'm going to buy a 5870 as soon as I find this out :P

Heck I'll even say Charlie is a good man fighting for the good of graphic card enthusaists
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 04:18 AM   #64
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
And the keeping it a secret not to alert ATI just how fast Fermi is doesn't fly anymore since the HD5*** cards are ancient history and due for a refresh in the next 2~3 months,so Fermi is going to face faster cards with more mature drivers by the time it's out in decent quantities anyhow.
Actually, ATI being due for a refresh is a perfectly good reason for nvidia to keep performance numbers a secret.

As soon as we know how Fermi will perform, ATI will have something to set their sights on and will put their refresh cards out as soon as possible.

The longer nvidia keeps ATI in the dark, the less time ATI will have to match or beat their performance.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 05:16 AM   #65
Enrico_be

edit: Oops, just saw that this article was already posted by shadow001, sorry.

New article from Charlie ...
-| SemiAccurate gets some GTX480 scores -> Hot, buggy and far too slow

The way the article is written is clearly anti-nvidia and I hope he is wrong !

A reply from Igor_Stanek (From Nvidia) @ Twitter @ this new article

I really don't know what to expect now from GTX 480 but atm I'm hoping It's gonna kick Charlie's ass !!! If it's the other way around, my love for Nvidia will drop to a minimum but I'm positive that's not gonna happen.
Enrico_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 08:58 AM   #66
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Charlie gets what he wants by articles like that.... more clicks on his site.
And with each click he can tell his owners (ATi) that he served them well.

I don't have Fermi card yet, but Charlie's article doesn't make me feel bad about the prospect even if every word is true.

Here's why:

5% faster overall than a HD5870: 5870s are very fast cards, 5% faster wouldn't suck. It would be approximately the speed of a GTX295, which would be in line with pretty much every other next gen launch I can remember. (little faster in some games, little slower in others than last gen SLi)

Double the DX11 performance of a 5870: that speaks for itself, just amazing. If single chip NV offers double chip ATi DX11, imagine what double chip NV will offer? ZOMG

Hotter: Yawn. I'm a freaking enthusiast. I don't try to stuff my expensive parts into an old Compaq desktop case with one fan.

Power: Again yawn. For the same reasons I have good cases, I have good power supplies. I advise all people who want to run high end graphics and CPUs to do the same.

Cost/losing money: As much as I like my buddies at NVIDIA, I won't lose sleep if they lose money selling consumer GTX480s at first. My guess is a. they'll figure a way to make money anyway, perhaps with those excellent Quadros that totally own the professional market b. they'll make more money with each revision c. the closer they are to ATi pricing, the more cards they'll sell as they are the market leader with the name recognition in the masses anyway.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I bet if someone was REALLY bored they could go through my old posts find me "predicting" that when Fermi launches, ATi guys will be back to saying "NVIDIA cards cost too much to make! NVIDIA cards are too hot!"

Guess I can see the future, just like Charlie.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 10:04 AM   #67
Enrico_be

I agree Rollo. I just read Charlie's article again and IF that are indeed the facts they aren't bad at all
Enrico_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 11:07 AM   #68
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
And with each click he can tell his owners (ATi) that he served them well.

I don't have Fermi card yet, but Charlie's article doesn't make me feel bad about the prospect even if every word is true.

Here's why:

5% faster overall than a HD5870: 5870s are very fast cards, 5% faster wouldn't suck. It would be approximately the speed of a GTX295, which would be in line with pretty much every other next gen launch I can remember. (little faster in some games, little slower in others than last gen SLi)

Double the DX11 performance of a 5870: that speaks for itself, just amazing. If single chip NV offers double chip ATi DX11, imagine what double chip NV will offer? ZOMG

Hotter: Yawn. I'm a freaking enthusiast. I don't try to stuff my expensive parts into an old Compaq desktop case with one fan.

Power: Again yawn. For the same reasons I have good cases, I have good power supplies. I advise all people who want to run high end graphics and CPUs to do the same.

Cost/losing money: As much as I like my buddies at NVIDIA, I won't lose sleep if they lose money selling consumer GTX480s at first. My guess is a. they'll figure a way to make money anyway, perhaps with those excellent Quadros that totally own the professional market b. they'll make more money with each revision c. the closer they are to ATi pricing, the more cards they'll sell as they are the market leader with the name recognition in the masses anyway.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I bet if someone was REALLY bored they could go through my old posts find me "predicting" that when Fermi launches, ATi guys will be back to saying "NVIDIA cards cost too much to make! NVIDIA cards are too hot!"

Guess I can see the future, just like Charlie.
Where the hell did you get double the DX11 performance.....

Pretty big jump to go from double performance in one section of the heaven demo that's tessellation limited....to broadly painting Fermi as having double the dx11 performance....which it won't have.

Charlie also indicates that the reason the entire benchmark wasn't shown was due to Fermi running the benchmark with "glitches" and that DX11 isn't "all there" yet.

Not saying Charlie is gospel...but whoever his sources @ nV are....he's been right about Fermi pretty much since last sept...
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-10, 11:17 AM   #69
Rollo

So you're saying it possible NVIDIA's unreleased drivers for an unreleased new arch on a new version of DX aren't perfect Johnny?!??!

<gasp>

I bet all of ATi's unreleased drivers are glitch free and WHQL to boot.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 11:39 AM   #70
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
So you're saying it possible NVIDIA's unreleased drivers for an unreleased new arch on a new version of DX aren't perfect Johnny?!??!

<gasp>

I bet all of ATi's unreleased drivers are glitch free and WHQL to boot.
I know that ATi's cards can run the heaven demo glitch free.....and honestly....that's all that matters...

Do you have some sort of strange ADD or something?

You read Charlies article....and then posted/skewed the info to "double dx11 performance"

You read my reply...which simply challenges that no-where does it state "double dx11 performance"

You then reply focused on pre-release drivers comparing nV to ATi and blame the drivers for the issues.

I don't know what your profession is....but I'd like to suggest you take up lobbying....I think that your line by line/take everything out of context and information skewing abilities would make you a very rich man. Someone could benefit alot from your hard work. However I'm betting as of yet...you've scared more people off nV products then you've convinced to buy nV products. So I probably wouldn't hand in a resume over there....

It saddens me to see the same kinds of posts over and over...especially when you do post up good info and relevant stuff from time to time...
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 12:03 PM   #71
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Where the hell did you get double the DX11 performance.....
I'm glad you spoke up, because I was wondering the same thing myself.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 12:30 PM   #72
Revs

Happens every time
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote