Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-23-10, 05:53 PM   #61
Rollo

Default Re: nVidia unveil at Pax East

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Given that multiple sources now confirm that availability will be limited initially,if you really want to wait for reviews before making the pruchase,the most likely scenario is basically having to wait until later in april or even early may to actually buy one.

The first batch of cards seems to number in at about 10 000 between GTX470 and GTX480's worldwide,and to put that into perspective,when ATI launched the HD5850/5870 cards,they had 50 000 cards ready and available and 250 000 HD 5700 cards as well,and it all dissapeared within the first week of availability,and everybody complained about it for weeks afterwards about being near impossible to find one on store shelves.

Now imagine the situation with only 10 000 fermi cards available at launch.
You have no idea what supply is, so this is FUD.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 05:53 PM   #62
Rollo

Quote:
I think the intent of the post is mostly the price of the cards,assuming Nvidia wants to sell single GPU Fermi cards not much below the price of HD5970's of course,which is their high end product afterall.

If they do,great marketing strategy or not,it looks like it'll be one hell of an uphill battle for Nvidia basically.
You have no idea what price is so this is FUD.

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 02-23-10, 05:57 PM   #63
lee63
Classified

Quote:
Given that multiple sources now confirm that availability will be limited initially,if you really want to wait for reviews before making the pruchase,the most likely scenario is basically having to wait until later in april or even early may to actually buy one.

The first batch of cards seems to number in at about 10 000 between GTX470 and GTX480's worldwide,and to put that into perspective,when ATI launched the HD5850/5870 cards,they had 50 000 cards ready and available and 250 000 HD 5700 cards as well,and it all dissapeared within the first week of availability,and everybody complained about it for weeks afterwards about being near impossible to find one on store shelves.

Now imagine the situation with only 10 000 fermi cards available at launch.
I don't have problem getting two on launch...but the majority of people will. I still want to see some #'s before I make my mind up.
Old 02-23-10, 06:10 PM   #64
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
You have no idea what supply is, so this is FUD.
Charlie mentioned it and those chinese sites also say the same thing too,and even Nvidia's CEO says they'll ramp up production on Q2,so the numbers available won't be high that's for sure,but the good thing about it is that we'll know soon enough when it launches and if it's available on store shelves at major retail outlets online,or if it'll be very hard to get one initially....

Quote:

Nope i don't,but for me,the price of a given piece of hardware is it's performance primarily,and where that performance places it relative to the competition,not how much money is spent on marketing the thing as the greatest ever invented,or saying that the competition is outclassed,outdated or as you put it once "antiquated",without even yet showing the numbers yet.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 06:10 PM   #65
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
I don't have problem getting two on launch...but the majority of people will. I still want to see some #'s before I make my mind up.
I would think they won't sell out in a day, and I'd think that if they do, it won't be "till May! Maybe Christmas!" as some have alleged.

If availability is indeed limited, I don't see why the situation would be different from the 5870 or past gens where they sell out, you wait a few weeks, get another chance.

Or, could be that all the 40nm got ironed out with ATi and availability will be good, period.

Hard to say.

I will say this:if you really want one of these, I wouldn't hang around flipping coins and thinking about it when they do launch. Because if they start selling out quickly the etailers will surely do supply and demand pricing as they always do.

I hope those of you who want one, get one. Those of you who can't wait, enjoy the 5870s.

Rig 2:

Old 02-23-10, 06:12 PM   #66
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
Hopefully some performance numbers will leak before the actual launch of the cards
Old 02-23-10, 06:31 PM   #67
Rollo

Quote:
Charlie mentioned it and those chinese sites also say the same thing too,and even Nvidia's CEO says they'll ramp up production on Q2,so the numbers available won't be high that's for sure,but the good thing about it is that we'll know soon enough when it launches and if it's available on store shelves at major retail outlets online,or if it'll be very hard to get one initially....

Nope i don't,but for me,the price of a given piece of hardware is it's performance primarily,and where that performance places it relative to the competition,not how much money is spent on marketing the thing as the greatest ever invented,or saying that the competition is outclassed,outdated or as you put it once "antiquated",without even yet showing the numbers yet.
No way! Charlie said there won't be any cards at launch?!?!

Like I said, FUD.

Rig 2:

Old 02-23-10, 07:47 PM   #68
JasonPC

When you think about it guys. Just because the an nvidia exec said it won't hit its full stride until Q2 doesn't mean availability will necessarily be so limited as the 58xx series when it launched. They are launching near the end of Q1 and with only two cards. Even if quantities were fine they likely would not be able to sell as many as a full quarter where more cards are supposedly are going to launch (especially mainstream). And then who knows if the Tesla Fermi cards will even launch in Q1. Two cards are a mere fraction of what their business is made up of. I'm not saying quantities won't be limited but what I'm saying is either way it's only common sense that it won't hit full stride until Q2 if you're launching at the tail end of Q1...
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-10, 08:03 PM   #69
Ninja Prime

Quote:
This is why everyone thinks you're an arrogant douche rollo. I wish we had Chris back.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 08:12 PM   #70
JasonPC

Well he's only stating facts maybe not in a way that makes people feel all good about themselves. No one has a clue about the actual prices, yet they go around claiming the price on that website (which has had its legitimacy questioned) like it's a fact. And the rest of their information comes straight from the church of Charlie Degenerateman. People just need to STFU until these cards come out. Seriously go play some games between now and March 26th there's a ton of them out/coming out...
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 08:28 PM   #71
shadow001

Quote:
No way! Charlie said there won't be any cards at launch?!?!

Like I said, FUD.

5000 to 8000 cards worldwide on launch actually is what he said,which basically translates into no cards when you split that group up between the vendors that carry Nvidia products and spread that out between all the regions in the world...That stock isn't just for the USA you know?
Old 02-23-10, 08:35 PM   #72
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPC View Post
When you think about it guys. Just because the an nvidia exec said it won't hit its full stride until Q2 doesn't mean availability will necessarily be so limited as the 58xx series when it launched. They are launching near the end of Q1 and with only two cards. Even if quantities were fine they likely would not be able to sell as many as a full quarter where more cards are supposedly are going to launch (especially mainstream). And then who knows if the Tesla Fermi cards will even launch in Q1. Two cards are a mere fraction of what their business is made up of. I'm not saying quantities won't be limited but what I'm saying is either way it's only common sense that it won't hit full stride until Q2 if you're launching at the tail end of Q1...

HD 5700/5800 cards launched with 300 000 cards combined,and they still ran out of them in the first week,then it took several more weeks for a higher volumes to become available.

Hell,even my cards,which i ordered a pair when the NDA officially dropped on november 23rd,and i ordered thru NCIX,which listed 5 of them in stock,and their stock numbers are updated every hour btw.

when i started filling the order and adding my credit card and shipping details,the inventory was updated just before and those 5 were gone already,and i had to wait 2 weeks to get them(early december),and that's me pulling the trigger as soon as the NDA dropped....What little they had flew off the shelves basically.