Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-23-10, 11:34 PM   #85
Kemo
The Smite

Default Re: nVidia unveil at Pax East

is the fermi ready for my bad-ass 1200 and black keyboard? i don't think so...
8800 GTX SLI
Corsair 750W PSU
Kemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 11:36 PM   #86
JasonPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Well put it this way,of the 300 000 cards,about 50 000 were 5850's and 5870's,not just 10 000 like the fermi rumors,mainly because the 5700 series will outsell the more expensive HD5850's and HD5870's by a large margin,so those lower end cards don't get the attention/PR promotion that the higher end ones obviously do,but they're the ones that pay the bills basically.
Those rumors do rely on the assumption that yields are in the single digits, which to me is unreliable and defies all logic unless Charlie's doom and gloom theory is right. That would mean after 3 revisions almost nothing has changed...
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 11:42 PM   #87
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Please, not another round of the ATi fan's favorite game:

"When ATi's single chip is losing to a dual GPU NVIDIA part, it's not a fair comparison. When ATi is winning with a dual GPU part, it's a fair comparison"

It was pretty clear I was comparing single GPUs, don't be an asshat.
Listen, kid.

Ignoring the fact right away that you're making up an argument for me that I never made above, you claimed that 5870 and 480 were in the same market in the post that I was referencing. That 480 would be the "market leader." Since when does the "same market" mean "single GPU"? And since when does the "same market" not include high end vs. high end since 480 is Nvidia's high-end part at this time? Are you rewriting the dictionary for us all?

The only one playing "games" here is you. You love to play these word games when you get called on your poor logic to try to dig out of the hole that you've dug yourself in. You love to take everything and spin it around to put it in the best light for the green team and the worst light for the red team--facts be damned. I know it, you know it, the entire interwebs knows it. If there's anyone on this planet who shouldn't be labeling anyone else a "fan" of another company, it's you. All you do is sit on Nvidia's Quadro and spin.

Even Mike, the site owner of NVNews, is less biased toward Nvidia than you. He runs a 5870 and has openly questioned how good Fermi will be compared to the performance it gives him. Now that man gets my respect. One who can see past their fandom for a certain company and simply acknowledge a good product without feeling the need to constantly put it down. HUGE respect from me. Those are the kind of people that I can reason with.

You should try being a little more non-partisan sometime. You'd garner a hell of a lot more respect than you do now.

And for the record, I don't like this kind of demeanor on EITHER side. For example, I'm not crazy about how Shadow parades around the forum constantly arguing against Fermi, either. It's fairly obvious that neither one of you can reason outside your own little box.

Have fun, I guess. I have more productive things to attend to.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 12:06 AM   #88
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPC View Post
Those rumors do rely on the assumption that yields are in the single digits, which to me is unreliable and defies all logic unless Charlie's doom and gloom theory is right. That would mean after 3 revisions almost nothing has changed...

Absolutely true,but at the end of the day,since the HD5870 was released and Nvidia know what they're facing,if whatever issues Fermi was facing to require 3 respins,which might not all be yeild related btw(logic bugs and power issues,target clock speeds),also didn't allow to beat the HD5870 in performance within a gaming environment,there would be no point in releasing a Geforce version of it in the first place.

A fermi based Tesla or quadro card however is a lot more tolerant to bad yeilds and not hitting targetted clock speeds,since there's no competition in those markets from ATI and those cards sell for a lot more money than the Geforce ever would.

If i'm not mistaken and i'm going by memory here,a leaked Nvidia PDF detailing the tesla C2050 and C2070 Fermi based cards for instance,will sell for 2100$ and 2700$ respectively,so many times over the price of the Geforce version,hence there's there's a lot more profit margin there and bad yeilds aren't as much of a problem....Makes one wonder how many chips will be alloted for the Geforce version to be honest,at least until yeilds improve(if they are an issue still of course),as Nvidia are there to make money above all else,and there's a lot of money to be made with tesla and quadro based versions using fermi chips.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 12:31 AM   #89
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
For example, I'm not crazy about how Shadow parades around the forum constantly arguing against Fermi, either. It's fairly obvious that neither one of you can reason outside your own little box.

Have fun, I guess. I have more productive things to attend to.

Moi,i pose difficult questions to answer that's all....I go on hard realworld performance numbers,and all we've see of fermi is speculation,and technical papers for both GP-GPU back in late september and some gaming features in a late january article,but no clock speeds,or power consumption or a preview of performance....Even anandtech was getting pissed about it in his article.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 02:28 AM   #90
Revs

This is getting boring guys. Please stop.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 03:41 AM   #91
Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
The is getting boing guys. Please stop.
Yes, why can't we all just get along.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 06:29 AM   #92
wysiwyg

how much are they gonna be and when are they out in the UK?

i couldnt be bothered to read the previous posts as it seemed like hand bag slapping
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-10, 06:43 AM   #93
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
how much are they gonna be and when are they out in the UK?

i couldnt be bothered to read the previous posts as it seemed like hand bag slapping
that's hilarious

Personally I will be content to wait and see.

My super is being iffy about giving me the time off to attend this event, so a Fermi may not be in the works for me after all that day.

I'm good with waiting to see what NV brings to the table that day...I'll have a card or 2 eventually...no need to get nasty about it now.
Old 02-24-10, 06:47 AM   #94
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
... as it seemed like hand bag slapping
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 07:35 AM   #95
weevil

Handbags yes

But you have to smile seeing someone write something like this in a user-forum for Nvidia products

You love to take everything and spin it around to put it in the best light for the green team and the worst light for the red team--facts be damned. I know it...

See up top it's called nvnews, slight green tinge to this site do you think maybe? Allowable perhaps on er, normal logic grounds?

Which is why I call in to see news on Nvidia products which I'm about to buy, thanks rollo
weevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 07:37 AM   #96
weevil

an nV shill on NVNews

Crikey that's a shock, whatever next?
weevil is offline   Reply With Quote