Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-14-10, 09:00 PM   #1
eamiller

Default VDPAU feature set C MPEG2 artifacts on corrupted streams (for eamiller)

Moderator note: This thread was split from http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=136817. The problem eamiller refers to below is visible corruption decoding video using VDPAU. The original thread contained a modified driver intended to fix the issue described by that thread, but eamiller isn't affected by that specific issue. End moderator note.

I have been struggling with this VDPAU problem with a GT220 1GB card as well. I've tried the /usr/lib replacements for 64-bit Mythbuntu with the file posted here with driver 195.36.03. I'm running Mythtv 0.22-fixes updated to the latest weekly -fixes build for this week.

For the record, I replaced the libvdpau_nvidia.so.195.36.03 in :
/var/lib/vdpau
/var/lib32/vdpau
/var/lib64/vdpau

and verified the md5sum as matching the posted sum (bd1cd17cd1ce8afa77dfad66d14b91b1).

Nonetheless, using VDPAU for decoding my cable MPEG-2 HD channels results in frequent glitches. Everything from nearly a full garbled frame or two, to the image "shifting". It is no better than with the 190.xx drivers in terms of frequency. These channels are reported at 99% signal strength by the tuner, and the cable only goes to the 2 HD tuners in the Myth box, so these errors are probably in the stream when Comcast gets them (they show in xv-blit, but are limited to a very small area of the frame).

I'm so disappointed that I can't use VDPAU as when there are no errors, the video quality is far superior (thanks to the advanced deinterlacing).

Is there a difference between the 9400GT and the GT 220 that would need further customization of the libvdpau_nvidia* files?

I've posted my nvidia-bug-report and cpuinfo as well.

Hope I can get a solution here.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (40.3 KB, 113 views)
File Type: txt cpuinfo.txt (1.5 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by Stephen Warren; 02-22-10 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Add moderator note
eamiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 12:43 PM   #2
Stephen Warren

Default Re: VDPAU 9400GT MPEG2 artifacts

eamiller,

The replacement libraries go in /usr not /var (look for where existing copies of those files exist, and replace those).

However, your explanation of the artifacts says that they're already present in the Comcast stream and also show up on Xv. Doesn't that mean you're *not* seeing a VDPAU-specific issue?
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 12:14 PM   #3
eamiller

Stephen,
You're right on the /usr vs. /var. The files are in /usr/lib, my brain just inserted /var/lib for some reason.

In regards to the glitches, I should clarify a little. With Xv, the mpeg glitches (if they show) are limited to a very small region of the image and the frequency is very infrequent (though the small area of effect probably hides the glitches better).

With VDPAU, the glitches seem to affect a large portion of the frame, sometimes the whole frame. Not only does this cause the affected part of the frame to become garbled, but it will also shift sideways at times.

I've attached 2 images showing approximately the same part of a recorded HD file. In this particular case, the VDPAU artifacts lasted several seconds in approximately the same place (as is plainly visible), in this case Xv showed no visible artifacts. There was a scene right at the start of the video that both VDPAU and Xv showed glitches, and the Xv was far less noticible (I wasn't able to get a freeze frame on it as it happened very quickly).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mentalist_With_VDPAU copy.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	39455  Click image for larger version

Name:	Mentalist_With_XV copy.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	39456  
Old 02-16-10, 02:27 PM   #4
Stephen Warren

eamiller, I took a look at your bug report. The GPU you have is most likely not affected by the specific issue this thread discusses, and that the modified drivers relate to.

Can you please upload a sample of the/a failing video file to the NVIDIA file drop, and we'll take a look at it.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-10, 12:42 PM   #5
Stephen Warren

Default Re: VDPAU feature set C MPEG2 artifacts on corrupted streams (for eamiller)

eamiller, I've reproduced your problem. It doesn't appear specific to the particular chipsets mentioned in the original thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=136817) hence I've created a new thread for this issue. The root cause of your issue is that the stream you're playing are corrupted. Some of our HW is better at concealing those errors than other models. I'll file a bug and see if we can improve this at all.
Old 02-23-10, 09:02 AM   #6
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamiller View Post
In regards to the glitches, I should clarify a little. With Xv, the mpeg glitches (if they show) are limited to a very small region of the image and the frequency is very infrequent (though the small area of effect probably hides the glitches better).

With VDPAU, the glitches seem to affect a large portion of the frame, sometimes the whole frame. Not only does this cause the affected part of the frame to become garbled, but it will also shift sideways at times.

I've attached 2 images showing approximately the same part of a recorded HD file. In this particular case, the VDPAU artifacts lasted several seconds in approximately the same place (as is plainly visible), in this case Xv showed no visible artifacts. There was a scene right at the start of the video that both VDPAU and Xv showed glitches, and the Xv was far less noticible (I wasn't able to get a freeze frame on it as it happened very quickly).
Note that what you describe has not much to do with xv vs VDPAU, but more with software vs hardware decoding.
Both FFmpeg's MPEG-2 video decoder and libmpeg2 contain rather sophisticated error-concealment algorithms that seem to be difficult to find in hardware decoders (lets face it: We are all happy that VDPAU doesn't freeze the whole PC when decoding a buggy stream).
That means if you expect corrupted media, you should use software decoding: You can still use VDPAU's rendering capabilities (including de-interlacing) and benefit from advanced error-concealment.
(If, otoh, you would be able to watch hardware-decoded video on xv - this possibility is intended by VDPAU's API, there is just no patch at least for MPlayer available - you would see the same/very similar corruption as you see now with hardware decoding and VDPAU rendering.)

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 07:48 PM   #7
eamiller

Default Re: VDPAU feature set C MPEG2 artifacts on corrupted streams (for eamiller)

Thanks for everybody looking into this problem. I appreciate the time and effort put into it. I'll have to look into how to coax MythTV to use software decoding with VDPAU render and deinterlace acceleration. I have a feeling that I have to use OpenGL options in MythTV which have issues with menu rendering at the moment (most likely a MythTV related problem).

I look forward to driver optimizations to help conceal the errors.
Old 02-24-10, 04:18 PM   #8
igadmile

I have similar problem.

When whatcing DVB-T in Kaffeine (0.8 whivh didn't use VDPAU, and 1pre3 which uses VDPAU) and VLC, artifacts occur in picture, and disturbance in sound too.

I have Nvidia G105M in Acer Extensa 5635G with GM45 Express chipset.

The TV card is AverMedia Volar X which workes perfectly on notebook with Intel graphics.

Here's the link with video recorded by Kaffeine, which shows all the problems:
http://www.2shared.com/file/11645614...ple_video.html

There's photo's in attatchment which reprezent problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ex1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	39542  Click image for larger version

Name:	ex2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	39543  
Attached Files
File Type: txt cpuinfo.txt (1.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (47.5 KB, 78 views)
igadmile is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-10, 11:35 AM   #9
Stephen Warren

igadmile, you have a "VDPAU feature set B" GPU, not a "VDPAU feature set C" GPU, so your problem is different.

Anyway, please can you upload the clip(s) to the nvidia file drop described in the VDPAU sticky post; I'm blocked from accessing file-sharing sites at work.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-10, 12:54 PM   #10
igadmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
igadmile, you have a "VDPAU feature set B" GPU, not a "VDPAU feature set C" GPU, so your problem is different.

Anyway, please can you upload the clip(s) to the nvidia file drop described in the VDPAU sticky post; I'm blocked from accessing file-sharing sites at work.

Thanks.
Two clips are uplaoded: "example_video.mp4", and "example_video2.mp4" (the stream was recorded in .m2t format, but was edited and exported as .mp4).

Edit:
The stream recorded by Kaffeine, and then reproduced in Windows looks different than in Linux. It looks just like the signal is low, so I uploaded "example_video3.m2t".
In conclusion: the "example_video.mp4" and "example_video2.mp4" represent the problem as I see it, and "example_video3.m2"t is just recording of a stream.
Old 02-26-10, 05:39 PM   #11
Stephen Warren

Thanks. I do see that example_video3.m2t looks worse under VDPAU than software decoding. I do see some corruption even with software decoding, and error messages from ffmpeg, which all indicate that the stream is partially corrupt. I'm not sure how much there is we can do about this on your particular GPU. However, I'll file a bug and investigate whether we can improve this.
Old 03-01-10, 02:56 PM   #12
igadmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
Thanks. I do see that example_video3.m2t looks worse under VDPAU than software decoding. I do see some corruption even with software decoding, and error messages from ffmpeg, which all indicate that the stream is partially corrupt. I'm not sure how much there is we can do about this on your particular GPU. However, I'll file a bug and investigate whether we can improve this.
Thanks for the reply.

Can you explain to me what would exactly partially corrupted stream mean?

Where is the problem? Because, the stream with the same stick and same antenna is reproduced perfectly in Windows. And stream recorded in Windows is reproduced pefectly in Linux too. Also, the stream is reproduced perfectly on laptop with Intel graphics on Linux, with the same antenna and same stick.