Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-10, 11:11 PM   #73
XMAN52373

Default Re: I know nobody really knows but is a GTX480 going to be faster then a HD5970

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Look up the latest id tech 5 engine,which will be used with their next game called rage btw,and they've shown videos of it for the last 2+ years....You might be in for a surprise,as it can run on current consoles(they don't have OpenGL support)

Though you are right that up to their id tech 4 engine,they used OpenGL,but that was before DX10 was even officially released.
2007 - http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/7/...t-in-id-Tech-5
No plans to support DX and the entire toolset is in OGL.

08 - "Carmack mentioned that the Rage code will mostly be carried over to Doom 4, where the focus will then be mainly on level design and creative aspects."

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53974
08 -"MPC: So, you said Rage is a 60Hz game. Is it an OpenGL or DirectX game?
JC: Itís still OpenGL,"

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...tails_and_more

The only thing that says he has switched to DX is a slashdot posting with no link to a direct qoute from JC himself. But yet everything else still says OGL.

Quote:
They already have openCL drivers available,and yes they're not even beta....I know it's a shocker,and as for physics,there's plenty of options available to make them pretty good....All i know is that i have an i7 CPU right now,which as everyone knows has 4 physical CPU cores and 4 logical ones,so they're capable of handling up to 8 threads at the same time,yet most gaming software doesn't even use half of that,even in the most recent titles,so there's hardware to further improve physics available right there,hence why CPU based physics get used so much more often.

And here's the crazy part,intel are coming out with 6 core/12 thread CPU's,and not just for the very highest end either,and so is AMD with 6 core thuban processors,both of which can be used in current motherboards,and within the coming months,so in practical terms,why would i worry about GPU based physics in the short term at least?
Yes they have drivers, but THEY ARE NOT CERTIFIED DRIVERS. Nvidi has released 4 OCL certified drivers already.

Quote:
Yup i heard that too,they state they have them in development alright,but given Nvidia's habit of talking alot and not showing much lately,and that trials like these can potentially last years and it's not something solved in weeks or months,i wouldn't hold my breath on that one...Just me though.
Yes, because in the world of lawyers, one should always show and release a product where the licensing for it isn't settled yet thus opening yourself up to a whole world of suits.
8GB DDR2 PC8500
Windows 7 U x64
Old 02-28-10, 11:21 PM   #74
Rollo

Default Re: I know nobody really knows but is a GTX480 going to be faster then a HD5970

Quote:
Rollo,i mean this in the nicest way possible....You're a dumbass,period.

How the hell was Nvidia desperate enough to accept you in their focus group is just mind boggling given all the arguments you've used so far in this thread,it really is.
No, I think you mean it in "Yikes, this guy figured me out" way.

You've been all over my posts all day, firing back your FUD and sophistry. But here we are, hours later, multiple responses later, and you still haven't taken those 5 minutes to prove you bought those 5970s and monitors?

Couldn't buy a receipt on Ebay or Photoshop one yet? Would have been a quick enough way to shut me down, but now if you post I'm still skeptical.

I think I've flushed out a real High Road viral marketer.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 02-28-10, 11:21 PM   #75
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAN52373 View Post
2007 - http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/7/...t-in-id-Tech-5
No plans to support DX and the entire toolset is in OGL.

08 - "Carmack mentioned that the Rage code will mostly be carried over to Doom 4, where the focus will then be mainly on level design and creative aspects."

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53974
08 -"MPC: So, you said Rage is a 60Hz game. Is it an OpenGL or DirectX game?
JC: Itís still OpenGL,"

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...tails_and_more

The only thing that says he has switched to DX is a slashdot posting with no link to a direct qoute from JC himself. But yet everything else still says OGL.

I guess we'll know for sure once the game is out.....To be honest,i'm tired of all the videos they've been showing for the past 2+ years,so it's time they got it released by now.

Quote:
Yes they have drivers, but THEY ARE NOT CERTIFIED DRIVERS. Nvidi has released 4 OCL certified drivers already.

Ahem:

http://developer.amd.com/gpu/ATIStre...s/default.aspx...Doesn't look beta to me,but what the hell do i know right?

Quote:
Yes, because in the world of lawyers, one should always show and release a product where the licensing for it isn't settled yet thus opening yourself up to a whole world of suits.
Of course not,but i was mearly pointing out that a long time will pass by the time it does get settled,no matter which side wins,and it's far enough down the line that it shouldn't even be though of as anything that will make Nvidia any money,any time soon.

Hell,given how large intel is,and the huge amounts of money they have,i wouldn't be too surprised if they could buy out Nvidia and their wallet wouldn't even feel the dent,as they are the 800lb gorilla of the industry afterall.
Old 02-28-10, 11:24 PM   #76
Rollo

Quote:
Just a quick FYI for anyone who's interested:

Not so rosy afterall,but i guess you'll disrecredit these are rumors even when it's Nvidia's own CEO that said it quite clearly,and the fell of the cliff in november part is curiously not much after ATI launched their new cards on the market.....Just saying.
And I'm sure you'll keep saying it as long as ATi pays you, correct?

You'd probably love to banter with me all day every day- makes the numbers look good.

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 02-28-10, 11:26 PM   #77
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
No, I think you mean it in "Yikes, this guy figured me out" way.

You've been all over my posts all day, firing back your FUD and sophistry. But here we are, hours later, multiple responses later, and you still haven't taken those 5 minutes to prove you bought those 5970s and monitors?

Couldn't buy a receipt on Ebay or Photoshop one yet? Would have been a quick enough way to shut me down, but now if you post I'm still skeptical.

I think I've flushed out a real High Road viral marketer.

FUD???....standards unification is fud,who got out with DX11 cards first is fud,who has yet to release theirs is fud also right,and the list keeps going on and on,but it's all fud to you of course.

You're positively insane bud....Seriously.
Old 02-28-10, 11:27 PM   #78
XMAN52373

Quote:
1. PhysX---> closed standard.
2. CUDA--->Yup,closed standard.
3. AA for UE3 games----> i can force that thru the control panel anyhow,so you're BS'ing there.
4. TWIMTBP--->Funny you mention a marketing and developer support program as added value for end users,since there's actually been cases where TWIMTBP games actually performing better with ATI hardware....Not all of them,but a few...

5. Optimus is the only one that's cool,but that applies to notebook users,not enthusiasts having the most powerfull graphics cards on the market,even 2~3 of them in SLI or crossfire rigs.
1 and 2 are only closed because, ATI refuses to support it.
3, hey, bitch to ATI to get to programming and giving up their own code to be added in a patch. But I guess its easier for you fanATIcs to simply blame Nvidia when they had NOTHING to do with what teh Dev decided to do about the code.
4. The program is not ment to give Nvidia cards extra added performance. Its there to ensure the game works right without issue when released with Nvidia cards and to fix issues when they arrise for existing games. It is also there to help Devs when they need it.
5. You do realize the point of the tech is so that you could buy a 3g laptop with intel onboard and high added and switch when need seemlessly right? Enthusiasts buy highend gaming laptops, not the general public.
8GB DDR2 PC8500
Windows 7 U x64
Old 02-28-10, 11:30 PM   #79
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
And I'm sure you'll keep saying it as long as ATi pays you, correct?

You'd probably love to banter with me all day every day- makes the numbers look good.

Not really,since you were the one going on with the market share angle....Too bad they're going broke if they keep up the large discounts they have to with their current GPU's,in order for customers to be remotely interested in them,since their new products are so ****ing late to the market.
Old 02-28-10, 11:40 PM   #80
XMAN52373

Quote:
Ahem:

http://developer.amd.com/gpu/ATIStre...s/default.aspx...Doesn't look beta to me,but what the hell do i know right?
Thats the SDK, NOT a driver. You do now the difference right? Another point is that that SDK is Beta 2.0, certified compliant with 1.0 and NO link to a CERTIFIED driver to support the cards listed. Speaking of cards, anything not DX11 is beta support for OCL, all CUDA capable, gee thats G80, G92, G94, G2xx cards have certified drivers and support. HUGE difference concidering ATI/AMD has been touting OCL since its creation.
8GB DDR2 PC8500
Windows 7 U x64

Old 02-28-10, 11:42 PM   #81
shadow001

Quote:
1 and 2 are only closed because, ATI refuses to support it.
Actually you are partially right there in that while PhysX is free to use,Nvidia requires those who do to implement it using the Cuda API,to which ATI says no thanks,as direct compute also exists and it's an open standard that works on all vendors....The pesky point i keep bringing up according to rollo.

Quote:
3, hey, bitch to ATI to get to programming and giving up their own code to be added in a patch. But I guess its easier for you fanATIcs to simply blame Nvidia when they had NOTHING to do with what teh Dev decided to do about the code.
Actually,if you have a non Nvidia card installed,it actually disables AA support within the game itself,while if you do have an Nvidia card,the option is available in game....Seems to me that the game basically detects the card when it first starts and goes from there,but here's the kicker though,ATI GPU's have the same hardware features that Nvidia has regarding AA....There's no difference at all at that level(DX10 cards remember?),so it really is an intentional boost to make Nvidia hardware better artificially.

Quote:
4. The program is not ment to give Nvidia cards extra added performance. Its there to ensure the game works right without issue when released with Nvidia cards and to fix issues when they arrise for existing games. It is also there to help Devs when they need it.

So is ATI's "The way it's meant to be played program",what's your point?

Quote:
5. You do realize the point of the tech is so that you could buy a 3g laptop with intel onboard and high added and switch when need seemlessly right? Enthusiasts buy highend gaming laptops, not the general public.

Which usually happends when your not on the move on the laptop and have it plugged into an outlet,not just running on the internal battery anyhow,since if you enable the faster graphics core when running in straight battery mode,guess how fast it'll last on it's charge.

It's a cool feature for sure,but there's still limits here.
Old 02-28-10, 11:45 PM   #82
Rollo

Quote:
Not really,since you were the one going on with the market share angle....Too bad they're going broke if they keep up the large discounts they have to with their current GPU's,in order for customers to be remotely interested in them,since their new products are so ****ing late to the market.
And how many posts have you made where you could have proved you're not an ATi viral by posting your receipts now? 5? 10?

Kind of hoping that "valid question" will go away aren't you?

Rig 2:

Old 02-28-10, 11:45 PM   #83
XMAN52373

ATIs is called GITG or Get In The Game and they have pretty piss poor Dev support.
8GB DDR2 PC8500
Windows 7 U x64
Old 02-28-10, 11:48 PM   #84
shadow001

Quote:
Thats the SDK, NOT a driver. You do now the difference right? Another point is that that SDK is Beta 2.0, certified compliant with 1.0 and NO link to a CERTIFIED driver to support the cards listed. Speaking of cards, anything not DX11 is beta support for OCL, all CUDA capable, gee thats G80, G92, G94, G2xx cards have certified drivers and support. HUGE difference concidering ATI/AMD has been touting OCL since its creation.

So they have the SDK that supports OpenCL but no driver is that it?(it clearly states it on the link)...Does that make sense to you?

And i quote:

Quote:
The ATI Stream Software Development Kit (SDK) is a complete development platform created by AMD to allow you to quickly and easily develop applications accelerated by ATI Stream technology. The SDK allows you to develop your applications in a high-level language, OpenCL™ (Open Computing Language).
Closed Thread