Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-28-10, 06:38 AM   #1
tytanick

Default SLOW 1 gbit LAN nforce 650i

hello, i have problem with my on board LAN device (Asus p5n-e sli motherboard - nforce 650i):
1 Gbit/s (nVidia), PHY Marvell 88E1116

This problem appears only in Windows 7 (64bit).
In linux when i copy files to my Linux FTP server connected with 1gbit switch - everything is fine, i cna copy with full speed of 1 gbit.
In Windows 7 when i connect to my Linux FTP server also connected by with 1gbit switch.
Transfer speeds are about 50 mbit/s
(also when i connect FTP server and my desktop computer with windows 7 to 100mbit swich - i have about 50 mbit/s speed)

I've installed many versions of Lan driver, i also disabled autotuning, tried many options in properties if this device and still i have about 50mbit/s !!!

In windows in adapter settings under STATUS menu i see that Connection speed is set to 1.0 Gbps.

I thing that this is Driver issue under windows 7
I also have newest BIOS on my asus p5n-e sli (with older bios'es the issue was the same)
But in linux everything works fine. Any suggestions ??
tytanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 05:19 AM   #2
tytanick

Default Re: SLOW 1 gbit LAN nforce 650i

What is interesting in this issue, that sometimes (very rare) i have real 1gbit transfer via FTP.
Dont know why 98% of the time i have ~50mbit and 2% of the time i use ftp i have 1Gbit !
Old 03-01-10, 08:22 AM   #3
DiscipleDOC

Install another LAN card and see if you get different results. You may have a bad internal nic.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 12:21 PM   #4
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytanick View Post
What is interesting in this issue, that sometimes (very rare) i have real 1gbit transfer via FTP.
Dont know why 98% of the time i have ~50mbit and 2% of the time i use ftp i have 1Gbit !
Try running it with as many processes disabled as possible. I haven't tested it in Windows 7 but in Vista there is a problem caused by WMP where it will dedicate most of your bandwidth to "streaming". It doesn't have to be WMP but it's the easiest to verify with. If I copy a file without WMP open I get 80% of the gig connection. Open WMP and it slows to like 10%. I believe there is a thread for the setting in the Networking subforum. It's possible a piece of software you use is tripping this setting.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 07:49 PM   #5
tytanick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
Install another LAN card and see if you get different results. You may have a bad internal nic.
ON THE SAME COMPUTER UNDER LINUX OS system - EVERYTHING works fine, so it isnt hardware at all, its software or firmware bug.

And i also am wondering why under Speed Duplex Settings i have ONLY 10 and 100 mbits options and no 1Gbit option ??? only with auto it connects to 1gbit but still sometimes long slows down (and ofcourse nothing is using disk or cpu)

take a look here:
http://sky-link.net/_upload/nvidiaeth.png

Old 03-01-10, 08:12 PM   #6
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytanick View Post
ON THE SAME COMPUTER UNDER LINUX OS system - EVERYTHING works fine, so it isnt hardware at all, its software or firmware bug.

And i also am wondering why under Speed Duplex Settings i have ONLY 10 and 100 mbits options and no 1Gbit option ??? only with auto it connects to 1gbit but still sometimes long slows down (and ofcourse nothing is using disk or cpu)

take a look here:
I see the same thing under my install in device manager. They just didn't put any options for forcing gigabit in the driver.

I think I'm using the driver that came with Windows 7. It's dated 4/30/2009 and version 73.0.6.0

Tested that issue with WMP under Windows 7. It appears that has been resolved as I don't receive a slowdown like I would in Vista.
Old 03-02-10, 07:12 AM   #7
tytanick

i tried many verstions - all have this bug.
my current verssion is : 73.1.4.0

Yeah, i tried to turn off all programs, and id doesnt helped.
It is completly random whether i have 50mbits or ~300-1000 mbits
Old 03-02-10, 10:01 AM   #8
Bman212121

One thing you can check is if event viewer is spammed with error messages. Right click on my computer, choose manage. Open up the event viewer, then look under windows logs, system. If you see a lot of error messages, that might help troubleshoot the problem.

Old 03-03-10, 07:35 AM   #9
tytanick

no, it isnt. nothing is appearing when i am copying ~50 mbits/s
Old 03-03-10, 10:39 AM   #10
Shikami

This is assuming that the FTP application supports IPv6. Try disabling IPv6 with Windows and then initiate a transfer. Is there a difference?

What else is on the switch? Any 10/100? Just to note. You may need to enable flow control. There is an old KB article about this.

Edit: Found the KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929707
Shikami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 05:10 PM   #11
MrDetroit

tytanic, did you figure it out? I'm having a similar issue but it's on Win7 32bit. I looked at Perf Mon and see a lot of receive errors but no xmit errors. I can replicate the problem every time when I'm pulling a file from my dlink NAS. A 1GB file should take about 2 min or so but now its reporting hours. If I pull the same 1GB file from a diff computer running XP it only takes a couple of mins. Now, the weird thing is if I go back to the Win7 machine and pull a 1GB file from a PC on the same network(5 port GB switch) it behaves fine as far as downloads. I can't say its the NAS box because other PCs are not having the issue and its hard to say its the NIC because I can pull large files from other sources with no problem. Uploading files is no problem, BTW. I've replaced the switch with a new spare, no improvement.
MrDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 08:07 AM   #12
tytanick

still i have sometimes 50 mbits, and sometimes i have even 150Mbit/s - and as i looked on resurce monitor - i have 100% cpu usage on ONE core (second is free)
so i assume that this high cpu usage is because of errors ?
(i have e4600 core duo @ 3GHz)

we should report this to nvidia as a bug i suppose !