Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-01-10, 01:22 PM   #25
d3mia7

Default Re: Quadro FX 880M Stability Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by piojo2 View Post
Has anybody else tried the new stable driver, 195.36.08? I haven't yet managed to cause a crash with a night of xscreensaver and an hour of web browing stress-test with one tab opened per second. (I won't really feel sure that this is fixed until I leave my computer on for a week with no crash.)
I'm trying it now - so far so good but likewise I haven't been running it long enough to say it's fixed for sure.
d3mia7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 07:57 PM   #26
d3mia7

6 hours later, still working without issue. Compiz enabled, lots of different things going on with no troubles.

Dare I say it?
Old 03-02-10, 10:58 AM   #27
d3mia7

Ran for about 12 hours yesterday with no issues. At this point I'm prepared to say this driver fixes things for me!
Old 03-04-10, 06:57 AM   #28
sawsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by piojo2 View Post
Has anybody else tried the new stable driver, 195.36.08? I haven't yet managed to cause a crash with a night of xscreensaver and an hour of web browing stress-test with one tab opened per second. (I won't really feel sure that this is fixed until I leave my computer on for a week with no crash.)
Just installed it. Can't say anything about stability, but backlight control is still not working.
sawsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 12:02 PM   #29
d3mia7

Correct - no backlight control for me either. As I understand it though this is fairly common across the nVidia binary drivers rather than something that's unique to this particular card.
Old 03-09-10, 07:02 PM   #30
ledoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mia7 View Post
Correct - no backlight control for me either. As I understand it though this is fairly common across the nVidia binary drivers rather than something that's unique to this particular card.
For rather common hardware like ThinkPads that should work though. Hopefully this is a problem with the kernel/ACPI and not with the blob crap. Otherwise chances are we're going to have to wait for quite a while.

On a side-note: does it suspend with the latest version? Maybe after killing X and un-loading the module?

[Trying to organize a W510 w/ FX880 for myself, so...]
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 07:18 PM   #31
d3mia7

Suspend is still dodgy... The USB 3.0 controller doesn't have suspend implemented yet, and there's some kernel ACPI issues that aren't sorted out either. Also currently X segfaults when trying to suspend. Fun!!
Old 03-09-10, 07:22 PM   #32
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

For those experiencing problems with backlight controls, can you please try adding the following line to /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the "Device" section for your GPU:

Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"

Then restart X and see if brightness controls work.

If they do, please post an nvidia-bug-report.log along with the make and model of your laptop. Thank you.

Last edited by danix; 03-09-10 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added request to post laptop model
danix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-10, 12:11 AM   #33
peepingtom

The backlight on my Lenovo ThinkPad T510 with Quadro NVS 3100M is now controllable when DWORD EnableBrightnessControl=1.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (69.3 KB, 320 views)

Last edited by peepingtom; 03-11-10 at 09:57 PM. Reason: added bug report
peepingtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 09:56 PM   #34
peepingtom

Is there an underlaying difference between changing brightness in a Virtual Terminal with the brightness keys and changing brightness in X11 with brightness keys (with that line added to xorg.conf)?

The reason I'm asking is that the backlight makes a constant high-pitched noise when the brightness is changed in X11 using this method, but this does not occur when it is changed in the Virtual Terminal (which worked before addling that line to xorg.conf). I can change the brightness in VT and switch back to X11 without the noise being produced. I thought this may be occuring because the VT was a mostly black screen, but I've tried drawing a picture to framebuffer and then changing the brightness in VT. The noise did not occur. Is there a difference in the VT's and X11's graduations for brightness settings? It seems that the noise is improper, like a hardware component being stressed.

So is that line only a workaround until a better solution is found, or are T510 laptops simply going to be added to a whitelist of devices that should use the nVidia driver to set brightness?

Thanks!
peepingtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 02:29 PM   #35
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

Interesting observation. Does it whine only while actively changing the brightness, or does it continue to whine after the brightness is changed?

There are quite a few differences between the VT and and an X session... fewer if you are using a framebuffer VT, but differences nevertheless. I don't know off the top of my head how those differences would affect brightness changes. Most likely it might have something to do with the timings the display is driven at.

The problem with the brightness controls is that the driver doesn't know to enable brightness controls automatically, so a "fixed" driver will not behave differently than manually enabling them in your xorg.conf with the current driver version.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 12:24 PM   #36
d3mia7

Adding this line definitely activates the brightness controls on my Lenovo W510 - they work perfectly now. Ubuntu shows the on-screen display, the brightness level changes, all is well...

My machine does have a bit of a high frequency squeal but nothing that seems to be related to screen brightness. Seems like some W510's make some high frequency noise, some people have gotten their mainboards replaced over it.

My nvidia-bugreport output with working brightness controls is attached!
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (53.9 KB, 258 views)