Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-25-09, 04:37 AM   #13
wiresquire

Default Re: checking vista 195.55

OK: Vista SP2, 32 bit.
I installed the latest 195.55 Vista drivers fresh from nvidia, and SLI was successfully enabled after a reboot. I also disabled Physx. Ran Lightsmark 2008 and the SLI performance was good. I didn't notice any artifacts or anything strange, and there was definitely nothing like the white flashing screen.

I didn't check what SLI profile for Lightsmark 2008 was set to. It used to be AFR1.

Not sure if there's a nvidia-bug-report or similar I could generate in windows? I, err, don't spend a lot of time there....
Anyways, holler if there's anything I can provide.

ws
wiresquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-09, 09:44 PM   #14
wiresquire

Default Re: 195.22 on Dell M1730 - no SLI hang !

Just tried 195.30; same as the 195.22 situation.

As mentioned previously, the driver no long hangs, but when SLI is AFR, the screen flashes once some 3D is 'started'. Eg when Compiz 'animation' like the 3D Cube, the entire screen will start flashing white over the desktop and continues to flash white until the compiz 'animation' is finished AND you click somewhere on the desktop with the mouse. The same happens eg, when running lightsmark. Interestingly, if you just start glxgears, it doesn't start flashing...

ws
Old 02-03-10, 08:58 PM   #15
wiresquire

Default Re: 185.18.14 on Dell M1730 - SLI hangs

Gave 195.36.03 a go

Same situation. Flashing like mad. Happens whether Compiz is loaded or not.

ws
Old 02-07-10, 06:07 PM   #16
wiresquire

Wow. I just realised that I started this thread over 6 months ago.
I wonder what that can possibly mean?

ws
Old 02-11-10, 09:30 PM   #17
wiresquire

I decided to put my leet searching skills to the test to see what I could find about this issue. This led me into some deep and dark places of the internet.

* There was a mention that SLI worked in windowed mode, but not in fullscreen. As I had noticed that glxgears worked OK, but other full screen 3D tests had not, I decided to check this. It turned out absolutely correct. Run lightsmark fullscreen, it would flash or flicker. Run it in windowed mode - any windowed mode that wasn't the fullscreen resolution, and it worked perfectly. Compiz desktop appears to suffer the same fate. With Compiz, once you click the mouse anywhere, the flickering/flashing goes away. Any other fullscreen benchmark or game the result was flickering/flashing. Windowed mode was no problem.

* There's several posts that mention about the possibility of the SLI bridge being broken, or not being connected properly. I naturally ruled this out, as my SLI works very well under Windows Vista.

* The most interesting post came from the nvidia forums. Now this wasn't directly relevant, as I've never overclocked nor underclocked my video cards. But it offered an interesting hypothesis. What if the second card wasn't matching the clock rate of the first card? Now:
- With single GPU (ie SLI off), gpu:0 clocks at 275/300 (Perf level 0), and gpu:1 shows as 170/100. You can see this in both the GUI and via nvidia-settings -q all (see file attached below).
- With SLI enabled, gpu:0 clocks at 625/800 (Perf level 2). The second GPU (gpu:1) does not show any of this information at all. The GUI does not have a Powermizer tab for GPU 1, and also nvidia_settings -q all does not report GPUCurrentClockFreqs and several other data points for gpu:1 at all.

So, what if the Linux version of the driver in SLI is NOT setting up the 2nd gpu (ie gpu:1), but leaving it at the lowest Performance Level 0 (170/100)? This would lead to the mismatch in frequencies and subsequent flashing and flickering screen I am seeing.

So, a potential workaround would be if I could get both cards working at the same frequencies with SLI enabled. I didn't have any success attempting this. I tried using various RegistryDWords options, but while I thought I had GPUs locked on Perf Level 0, or Perf Level 2, flickering still occurred. Without nvidia-settings providing the info on the gpu:1, there was no way to really tell what frequencies it was operating at.
Either the gpus weren't sync'd or they were sync'd and there's something else wrong with the bridge related code in the linux driver. I'm also suspicious it could be related to some interaction with Powermizer....

Files:
- 195_36_03_sli_nvidia-bug-report.log.gz: A bug report generated with SLI mode enabled.
- 195_36_03_single_nvidia-bug-report.log.gz: Bug report with SLI not enabled, ie single gpu only.

I am just really frustrated and disappointed.
ws
Attached Files
File Type: gz 195_36_03_sli_nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (46.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: gz 195_36_03_single_nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (45.9 KB, 108 views)
Old 02-26-10, 04:12 AM   #18
wiresquire

Bump. Look forward to bumping often!

I would like to point out, that even thought this same problem has existed for over 7 months, and that I have visited almost every day, that I have not bumped it once.

ws

PS: Would appreciate if a mod/admin could correct the subject/title to remove the 185.18.14 reference. Just make the subject/title: M1730 and SLI, anything above 180.x foolish and doesn't work.

Thanks
Old 02-26-10, 04:29 AM   #19
wiresquire

BTW, I would be totally happy to talk to your Product Manager(PM) about the importance of Linux and SLI to nvidia.

If it so happened that there wasn't a PM for Linux at nvidia, I'd also be happy to speak about why there was a significant need for at least a Technical Product Manager to be assigned to the Linux team. It's great that the Linux team is close to some of the technical issues, but their credibility is being severely eroded by the marketing team, or lack of marketing team, explaining why linux is still a 2nd class citizen.

ws
Old 02-26-10, 06:13 AM   #20
wiresquire

Old 02-26-10, 06:15 AM   #21
wiresquire

I will pay $AUS0.20 for the first person to bumpt this thread.
Old 02-26-10, 04:41 PM   #22
wiresquire

I bought this (very) expensive piece of hardware, tested it. Found that one problem with it and "knew" based on my experience that nvidia would fix it in a reasonable timeframe. I did tons of work for testing, sent it to linux-bugs@nvidia including details + a link to this thread with updated details. I haven't even gotten a "we're looking into it".

I currently have a choice between:

* The 180.x driver, which is slow
* Any newer driver on 64bit which does not work for SLI.
* The nouveau driver, which doesn't have power management. What I use currently, but I have a quite serious headache and I've had it for some time.

Any nvidia driver at this point is limiting my ability to do my work. So I'm stuck during long hours with smashing headaches. I've considered trying to return it or sell it a 100 times by now, but fact is I can't afford not using it at this point.

ws
PS: AU$0.20 for me! Stand by for next offer!
Old 03-05-10, 08:25 AM   #23
wiresquire

Default Re: 185.x, 190.x, 195.x on Dell M1730 - SLI does not work

OK, so every driver version since at least 185.18.14 has not worked with SLI correctly.

What are the chances of 195.36.08 working correctly?

Do we have anyone willing to take a bet?

ws
Old 03-05-10, 06:42 PM   #24
Deanjo

Default Re: 185.x, 190.x, 195.x on Dell M1730 - SLI does not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiresquire View Post
OK, so every driver version since at least 185.18.14 has not worked with SLI correctly.
Only on your config it seems. I have two sli systems and SLi is indeed working on both with drivers >180
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote