Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-05-10, 10:52 PM   #49
Redeemed

Default Re: First benchmarks of GTX 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptkarl View Post
+1 - make it more than a couple of weeks....how 'bout a couple of months. This guys' posts are pointless and don't add anything informative to the topics at hand.

PLEASE go away DOOM.......

Kapt
Ignore list- use it instead of making such requests.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 11:00 PM   #50
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRZone

http://vr-zone.com/forums/573003/som...4x0-cards.html

The GTX 480 performance is round abot 5 to 10 percent higher than the HD 5870...

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 11:06 PM   #51
lee63
Classified

Am I reading this right ? their only going to release 15000 cards total...and no more 4xx series after that!!!
Old 03-05-10, 11:12 PM   #52
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
Am I reading this right ? their only going to release 15000 cards total...and no more 4xx series after that!!!
That's how I read it, too.

Given the problems with TSMC and the underperforming parts, it could be the smartest move they could make at this point. It's looking like Fermi will be Nvidia's R600. Die-hard Nvidia fans have to feel a bit let down at this point.

I was really expecting it to have a much bigger lead in the tesselation performance given all the hype, but that doesn't look to be the case, either. It sort of makes sense, though. ATI has been building tesselation hardware in for quite a while, so they were no stranger to the game. Should've assumed that it would compare pretty well with Fermi based on that.

Something that should probably be considered, though, is that ATI made a great comeback after R600, their new architecture, turned out to be such a bust. Nvidia could do the same once they're able to get a handle on the new arc. The thing that would concern me, though, is it uses up so much damn power. I mean, peaking 290w for a single GPU that barely outperforms the 5870 which uses around 100w less??

Doesn't sound good.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 11:17 PM   #53
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
Wow,

probably because they are losing money on each and every card sold. Limit the number of cards, limit your losses. Which means that they will have to price them in line with the ATi cards and that there will be little to no performance advantage, leaving the 5970 as king of the hill for the foreseeable future(till the next die shrink.)
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 11:23 PM   #54
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
That's how I read it, too.

Given the problems with TSMC and the underperforming parts, it could be the smartest move they could make at this point. It's looking like Fermi will be a slightly more successful R600. Die-hard Nvidia fans have to feel a bit let down at this point.

I was really expecting it to have a much bigger lead in the tesselation performance given all the hype, but that doesn't look to be the case, either. It sort of makes sense, though. ATI has been building tesselation hardware in for quite a while, so they were no stranger to the game. Should've assumed that it would compare pretty well with Fermi based on that.

I don't think it's so much that issue to be honest,but mostly how the entire architecture works together,and it really does look like Fermi has higher performance with tesselation,but if it's held back by shader power or texturing speed,then only in certain circumstances it can shine.

Kinda like having a ferrari engine(tesselation),but it's stuck in 3rd gear transmission wise(shading and texturing power),so it's not going terribly fast overall in most cases,so the overall architecture looks to be somewhat umbalanced for gaming use....It can still shine when going for GP-GPU workloads and as a quadro product,but doesn't look that good on the gaming side when you consider it's 3 billion transistors.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 03:38 PM   #55
Blacklash
8^9^3

Not sure where these performance numbers are coming from. Watch the vid here.

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/63524/Oth...rformance-Demo

Around the dragon in the heaven bench using DX11 a 480 is doing 43-45FPS @ 1920x1080.

My HD 5870 @ 1030|1300 will dip to 23FPS in the same scenario save @ a 1920x1200 res.

Folks need to be careful with results from this bench. Many folks will throw up results from DX10 cards with DX11 set in the bench. If your cards can't do tesso you aren't getting a DX11 result. Set 10 and contrast the FPS.

I'll probably grab one myself as I'm all about single strong GPUs.
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 06:56 PM   #56
K007

oh god.........
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-10, 03:40 AM   #57
Enrico_be

Hmm didn't know where exactly to post this ...

http://www.semiaccurate.com/forums/s...4&postcount=11

Quote:
I think nVidia is making the right strategic decisions and it is well positioned in those markets where it can grow substantially

At the low end, you have mobile gaming (phones, tablets, handheld gaming devices). This is a market that will probably explode in the next decade and nVidia is better positioned than anyone else to benefit from it. Qualcomm & Co are very capable SoC providers, but lack nVidia's experience in the gaming market, both on the software and hardware side. AMD is not even in the game, and intel can only offer a very mediocre solution on the cpu side. I believe nVidia''s tegra line has huge potential here, both short and long term.

A bit further up you find consoles. If you are Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo, what are your options for your next gen console ? Currently they all depend on IBM power for the cpu and mostly on AMD for the gpu side. IBM is still a credible provider for cpu tech and chips, but it has halted Cell development and has no solutions for the graphics side. AMD is good on the GPU side, but can only provide x86 on the cpu side. While x86 has some appeal as it would make game development across PC and consoles much easier, microsoft, despite owning directX and desktop gaming, still dumped it as x86 comes with a too serious price/power/performance penalty and furthermore, PC gaming market is very likely to become much less important than other gaming markets. Intel is in no position to compete here at all. Like AMD they could supply x86 cpu's but its trackrecord on gaming grade gpu's is simply appalling. Which leaves.. an ARM based solution, possibly with integrated GPU. If one is not powerful enough then perhaps several, or integrated GPU "crossfired" with a more powerful external one. That also would make downsize to compatible handheld designs like next gen PSP, DS and a Zune gaming device a whole lot easier. Who's better positioned to provide this than nVidia?

On the desktop gaming side, nVidia's short term future looks less than stellar. Its all you read on this forum, how much fermi will suck, and probably it wont be the best gaming gpu ever, but fermi will be untouchable in the highend x86 market in its quadro and tesla forms or for gpgpu. Thats where the big bucks are and were growth potential is still huge. Up until now, both nvidia and AMD designed gaming cards and then made derivatives that "happened" to be useful for highend CAD, GPGPU, HPC etc. Fermi turns this upside down, its a gpgpu product that can be used for gaming. If you look at margins and untapped potential (especially HPC), changing that priority may not have been a bad bet. Especially not when you factor in the software side where nVidia has a huge lead on AMD and intel.

IIRC, nVidia made about 1/3 of its revenue with geforces. As you noted, this market is in peril, and likely to drop further; so being able to expand and even dominate the markets where you make those 2/3 sounds like a good plan to me.

I may not like JHH's "style", but as a CEO I have to respect his vision.

If you take the text above in mind and then see that on the gaming side, 470 & 480 are on par and the 480 even faster than the highest single GPU's of ATI I must say Nvidia has done a good job, I'm sold A graphics card that takes you to a higher gaming level + GPGPU performance for applications, me like
Enrico_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 03:46 AM   #58
Iruwen

Quote:
IBM is still a credible provider for cpu tech and chips, but it has halted Cell development
No, they didn't.
Iruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 04:31 AM   #59
scubes

cant wait to laugh at high much overclockers.co.uk are gonna charge for fermi. i for one im gonna see wot the benchies say but to be honest its not looking that good to me after all of the HYPE NVIDIA IS SAVY with FERMI PERFORMANCE AND **** they must have known that it wasnt up to the challange of the ati cards. ati have done a exellent job with there cards this time around and have caught nvidia sleeping this round,ill think ill hold off now til a refresh comes along....
scubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 10:37 AM   #60
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iruwen View Post
a lot could have changed between november of last year and today.