Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-06-10, 04:55 AM   #1
explodecomputer

Default Trouble setting up to run X for 9600GT on FC12 x86_64

Hi

I've been trying to install drivers for a new GeForce 9600GT card on an ASUS P5Q-VM board. I'm running Fedore 12 x86_64, fully updated. To install the nvidia driver I followed the instructions here:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mj...ra-nvidia.html

I've set up to boot in runlevel 3 and I'm logged in as root. After the restart the graphical loading screen has been replaced by a low resolution loading bar along the bottom. The resolution at the command line is now much lower and when I try to startx the screen goes blank and the system hangs.

lsmod1.txt shows the lsmod output when I've rebooted - there is no nvidia driver loaded.

If I run the command "modprobe nvidia" the nvidia driver is loaded with message:
Code:
nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints the kernel.
Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
nvidia 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernal Module 190.52 Wed Dec 9 15:29:46 PST 2009
vgaarb: device changed decodes: PCI:0000:01:00.0,olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=io+mem
lsmod2.txt shows the new lsmod output. If I now startx, again the screen goes blank and the system hangs.

lsmod3.txt shows what happens when I remove "rdblacklist=nouveau" from /etc/grub.conf. Now normal loading screens return, as does the original finer resolution, but in order to startx successfully I have to delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file which seems to return every time I reboot. I've attached this file also (.txt appended to allow upload).

If I bootup whilst suppressing nouveau, and then run the command "modprobe nouveau", the original screen resolution returns. Then, if I alter xorg.conf by replacing the driver from "nvidia" to "nouveau", startx works again.

So I suppose these are my questions:
How do I get the system to run X on the nvidia driver?
What do I have to do to make the nvidia driver load automatically when I reboot?
Why does xorg.conf get replaced everytime I reboot, and is it configured correctly?

I've tried to reinstall the OS a couple of times now trying to get this to work! It's been a steep learning curve and yet I still feel completely at a loss. Any help at all would be very much appreciated - thanks in advance for your attention.
Gib
Attached Files
File Type: txt lsmod1.txt (1.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: txt lsmod2.txt (1.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: txt lsmod3.txt (1.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (421 Bytes, 43 views)
explodecomputer is offline   Reply With Quote