Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-06-10, 12:31 AM   #265
Stephen Warren

Default Re: VDPAU testing tool

Licaon, can you please supply an nvidia-bug-report so that I can check your system configuration. Thanks.

Also, if you have an MCP61/MCP68 chipset with AMD CPU, perhaps you could try the patched driver in this thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...=136817&page=4

(see comments 41 and 49)

One final note: NVIDIA is currently recommending users not use the version of the driver that you currently have, and that the patched driver I mentioned above is based on; see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=14. Perhaps try downgrading the driver and see if this problem is solved?
Thanks.

Last edited by Stephen Warren; 03-06-10 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Add pointer to test driver. Add note about driver version not being recommended.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 06:46 AM   #266
Licaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisalide View Post
No.
1) Check qvdpautest-0.5.tar.gz integrity (md5 : 2251f2be5185f9474a73c81621d98a61)
md5sum checks out

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisalide View Post
works ok through SMPlayer 0.6.8 + mplayer 1.0.rc2svn20100219 ( debian-multimedia repo )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
Licaon, can you please supply an nvidia-bug-report so that I can check your system configuration. Thanks.
i've attached it for my GTS250 system that exibits this issue ( BTW, looks like nvidia-bug-report.sh does not support OSSv4 so that the audio subsystem info is empty )
also my secondary system with a 8600GT does not have this issue in qvdpautest but has a different one: playing a video with vdpau ( mplayer -vc ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau, -vo vdpau video.mkv ) will reset the system if switched to fullscreen ( this happens with the video linked below too )
/LE: with KDE4 composition OFF and without -vo vdpau it resets my system even in windowed mode

Quote:
One final note: NVIDIA is currently recommending users not use the version of the driver that you currently have, and that the patched driver I mentioned above is based on; see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=14.
Perhaps try downgrading the driver and see if this problem is solved?
oh, i though the site had issues

Quote:
Also, if you have an MCP61/MCP68 chipset with AMD CPU, perhaps you could try the patched driver in this thread:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...=136817&page=4
(see comments 41 and 49)

and another issue with this 3D Stereo H.264 Lossless video encoded with x264: http://fbx.ro/n6w82so6zi0ngl5k ~ (100Mb)
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report_GTS250.log.gz (39.9 KB, 102 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report_8600GT.log.gz (38.6 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Licaon; 03-06-10 at 05:27 PM. Reason: more info on 8600GT
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 12:17 PM   #267
Stephen Warren

Licaon, I can't reproduce the corruption you're seeing on the VC-1 (WMV) test clip using qvdpautest (nor MPlayer), using essentially the same GPU. I don't recall anyone else reporting this corruption. Perhaps you have flakey hardware, e.g. a bad power-supply or something?

Re: The 8600 GT issue on the 3D Stereo H.264 Lossless video: (a) I can't download the file because I can't access file-sharing sites; can you please upload it to the NVIDIA File drop mentioned in the sticky post. (b) Judging by your description of the file, VDPAU probably doesn't support this format. However, we still shouldn't crash. When you say your system restarts, do you mean that the X server exits and restarts, the entire system restarts (you see the BIOS boot screen), or something else? Does the system hang at all before this happens? If so, how long? Thanks.
Old 03-08-10, 01:28 PM   #268
Licaon

Quote:
Perhaps you have flakey hardware, e.g. a bad power-supply or something?
then why would i see this only in the VC-1 clip? the PSU is a Corsair VX450, the CPU is idling at 1000MHz, the GPU temp is under 46C
another thing worth mentioning is that it looks like the last frame gets corrupted and it stays a bit on the screen unchanged
is there any debug version of qvdpautest that i can compile?

Quote:
Re: The 8600 GT issue on the 3D Stereo H.264 Lossless video: (a) I can't download the file because I can't access file-sharing sites; can you please upload it to the NVIDIA File drop mentioned in the sticky post. (b) Judging by your description of the file, VDPAU probably doesn't support this format.
the lossless video corruption issue is seen on both cards with vdpau and on Media Player Classic - Home Cinema with DXVA (in Windows 7) so maybe the encoding settings were messed up by me? ( Virtualdub + latest x264vfw lossless, default )
i've uploaded the video x264_lossless.avi

Quote:
However, we still shouldn't crash. When you say your system restarts, do you mean that the X server exits and restarts, the entire system restarts (you see the BIOS boot screen), or something else? Does the system hang at all before this happens? If so, how long? Thanks.
on the 8600GT system with ANY H264 video (not just the lossless one):
*with -vc ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau, and composition on and -vo vdpau -> window mode ok, fullscreen reboot
*with -vc ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau, and composition on but without -vo vdpau -> window mode ok, fullscreen reboot
*with -vc ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau, and composition off but without -vo vdpau -> instant reboot

i did not try yet with VDPAU_TRACE=1 but i doubt it has time to commit something to disk anyway
Old 03-08-10, 03:05 PM   #269
Stephen Warren

Licaon,

I have managed to repro your VC-1 (WMV) issue; it is specific to a 64-bit OS.

I also reproduced the corruption decoding x264_lossless.avi. Given the 3D encoding means just two frames side-by-side, perhaps this clip should be supported. I'll investigate further.

For the 8600 crash issue, are you able to run a serial console or network console to try and capture any error messages?
Old 03-08-10, 04:39 PM   #270
Stephen Warren

Licaon, your file x264_lossless.avi uses a profile that VDPAU does not support (High 4:4:4). In fact, I don't believe any HW decoder supports this format.
Old 03-08-10, 04:49 PM   #271
Stephen Warren

Licaon, crisalide, I see that qvdpautest is providing VDPAU with different data for the VC-1 stream between 32-bit and 64-bit runs. (You can see this by setting VDPAU_TRACE=1 VDPAU_TRACE_FILE=vdpau-32.txt and diff'ing the 32/64-bit output).

For now, I'm going to assume that's the cause of the VC-1 corruption.
Old 03-08-10, 04:53 PM   #272
Licaon

Quote:
Licaon,
I have managed to repro your VC-1 (WMV) issue; it is specific to a 64-bit OS.
so i was not mad after all ?

Quote:
Licaon,For the 8600 crash issue, are you able to run a serial console or network console to try and capture any error messages?
any links on how to do that? what should i look for ?

Quote:
Licaon, your file x264_lossless.avi uses a profile that VDPAU does not support (High 4:4:4). In fact, I don't believe any HW decoder supports this format.
what exactly should i disable when encoding ?

Old 03-08-10, 05:19 PM   #273
Stephen Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
what exactly should i disable when encoding ?
There's presumably an option to select which H.264 profile to encode into. Pick a supported value (right now, it's High 4:4:4, but VDPAU only supports 4:2:0 profiles such as baseline/main/high). There might be an explicit 4:4:4/lossless option that's selected, which needs to be disabled.
Old 03-09-10, 06:31 AM   #274
Licaon

Quote:
There's presumably an option to select which H.264 profile to encode into. Pick a supported value (right now, it's High 4:4:4, but VDPAU only supports 4:2:0 profiles such as baseline/main/high). There might be an explicit 4:4:4/lossless option that's selected, which needs to be disabled.
these are my options:
Old 03-09-10, 08:21 AM   #275
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
To try to clarify:
The sample is encoded with "Predictive lossless coding" (lossless H264) in 4:2:0. Predictive lossless coding is - according to Wikipedia - only part of a profile called "High 4:4:4 Predictive Profile" (but has nothing to do with chroma subsampling format 4:4:4 per se).
libavcodec does not support other chroma subsampling formats than 4:2:0 (as VDPAU), but supports Predictive lossless coding (for 4:2:0).
Given that the patch that added support to libavcodec (r16171) isn't that huge, I wonder if it is really impossible to add support to PureVideo/VDPAU.

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 08:23 AM   #276
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
these are my options:
Don't choose lossless;-(

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote