Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-24-03, 07:44 AM   #1
Ross Clement

Default Things to try other than Mesa conflicts

Hi. I have the following problem trying to use the 4496 (or any other) drivers on redhat 9. Basically, I can install the drivers fine, but when I try to run any opengl application (e.g. glxgears), it crashes after a second or so. I've tried everything I can think of. Most of the web pages on the internet that describe crashes of this type suggest that it's due to conflicts with old Mesa library files lying around.

I've tried going as far as deleting all opengl libraries (libGL, libGLU, libGLcore), and then reinstalling the drivers. It still gives the same problem. Last night I tried a fresh install of redhat 9 and an installation of the drivers. Same problem. As far as rpm -qa can see, the only Mesa libraries I have installed are the XFree86 ones. Doing a rpm -q -l to see what files were installed, it appears that I am deleting all the old mesa files correctly.

I know the hardware is capable of running opengl because before a crash requring reinstallation, I had it working. Mandrake 9.1. also worked. There are no hints of any problems when looking in /var/log/XFree86.messages.0. Does anyone have any idea what I should try next? Please!!!!

Thanks in anticipation,

Ross Clement.
Old 10-24-03, 10:03 AM   #2
mjf
GF FX5200

Send a message via ICQ to mjf
Default Had that same problem

I had that same problem.

I know you aren't going to want to hear this, but I finally gave up and bought a new motherboard / ram / proc. Now it works wonderfully fast. I actually bought an NForce motherboard, (Nvidias attempt at a motherboard) and it is working quite well on redhat 9 with no changes.

The sick thing is, it works just fine in Win2k on the same set-up that it kept crashing in linux on, which tells me that its a crappy driver.

If NVIDIA wants me to send them my old motherboard for R&D, I will.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-03, 10:33 AM   #3
Ross Clement

Hi. I much prefer hearing your story than hearing nothing at all. I probably would have backtracked to a Geforce 2 video board (as my other machine with geforce 2 onboard video works fine) had I never had a working system. But, given that it was working *once*, there must be a solution.

One thing I find frustrating is that my problems matches the description of mesa libraries hanging around to such a degree, that it seems that it must be the

I'm only hesitating about switching to Mandrake because I'd rather try a distribution that's likely to remain free. I tried two versions of Debian (Sid and Woody) last night, but neither installed properly (Sid was unable to check my keyboard, while Woody couldn't find some gnome libraries, and startx wouldn't come up). Tonight I'm trying severn (beta), and possibly a hard disk installation of Knoppix. After that, perhaps Gentoo or FreeBSD.

I must admit that I keep thinking that it would be great if I could afford to go out and buy a top of the range Mac...

Cheers,

Ross-c
Old 10-24-03, 12:00 PM   #4
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Have you tried forcing the AGP options, usage of NvAGP or agpGart?

XF86Config Device section:
Option "NvAGP" "1"

forces NvAGP. Which agp driver is being used has major stability implications.

Regarding the Mesa libraries issue, you do mention that you still have the Mesa packages from XFree86, and if this is the case you WILL have the conflict as these are one of the primary library issues.
Quote:
As far as rpm -qa can see, the only Mesa libraries I have installed are the XFree86 ones
From XFree86 4.3.x you must remove (or sufficiently overwrite the files from)

XFree86-Mesa-libGL
Old 10-24-03, 12:23 PM   #5
Ross Clement

Hi. Thanks for the answers.

I have tried all sorts of combinations of AGP settings. And, I have tried running linux with and without the nvidia code (patches from the nvdriver) incorporated in the kernel. Even when /var/log/XFree86.0.messages reports that NvAGP is being used, and glxinfo (and the data in /proc/drivers/nvidia/agp/*) all suggested that agp was running.

My working machine (work) has the following string returned by glxinfo. The home machine also reported AGP working, and with the log reporting nvidia agp support.

OpenGL renderer string: GeForce2 MX/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!

And, I do have the "packages" for Mesa installed. At least, as far as RPM is concerned. But, I removed all of the files listed as coming from these packages before installing the nvidia drivers.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate you suggesting things, and don't want to look like I'm discounting what you say. I'm wondering if there are other AGP issues apart from which driver is running. Is there some way to evaluate how well AGP is running?

I've been trying to get this machine working for months. One problem is that I've tried everything I can possibly think of, and can't even think of what to try next. Perhaps I should go back and try everything from scratch.

I've heard that there are problems in the glut library distributed with rh9. On some opengl lists, they suggest recompiling glut from source. I'm going to give this a try too.

Cheers,

Ross-c