Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-19-10, 04:32 AM   #121
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Default Re: Official Metro 2033 Feedback Thread

downloading now at 800KB/s. I think I'll grab those drivers Kaguya.
Old 03-19-10, 06:42 AM   #122
grey_1

My mini review.

Played through the first quarter of the game with DX9, then switched to 10 with no noticeable impact on performance. 1680x1050, E8500 @ 3.8 and 4870 512 @ stock using the cat10.2s. I averaged according to fraps 25-35 fps on high, very smooth until towards the end, a couple of short stutters while underground.

As I said earlier, the use of color, shadow and light is phenomenal. This game manages to set a mood of despair with an underlying urgency that far surpasses anything STALKER or HL2 managed, and many of the battles left me feeling a bit of disbelief that I actually made it though it. Great balance, especially given the limited amount of ammo, which leads to my next prop for the game.

Scavenging for ammo, gas mask filters etc, is a must. In spite of this being a very linear game, they were able to make exploration possible to a decent extent. While underground, search for access points that lead even further underground, and off your path. Good fun.

Scripted events - I usually hate them, but they were used with good effect here, and only added to the atmosphere imho. There were even a couple of "WoW" moments, unexpected events that were well thought out and executed.

Main point for me is that I never once got bored, although several times I was a bit disconcerted at my....inability...to meet the ferocity of some of the attacks successfully....

Excellent game imho, it refreshed my desire to play through a good video game, was beginning to get bored with the whole scene. Very refreshing, this one is. I'll be playing this again, then maybe again after that.
Old 03-19-10, 07:08 AM   #123
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

This is a lemonade comapring to Stalker.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 07:13 AM   #124
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient76 View Post
The only thing that made stalker playable were user made mods. It has it's moments, but for the most part it's a boring, unbalanced, bug filled crash fest.
Old 03-19-10, 07:22 AM   #125
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Stalker and this game are so different I have no idea why anyone would compare them.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 07:33 AM   #126
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
The only thing that made stalker playable were user made mods. It has it's moments, but for the most part it's a boring, unbalanced, bug filled crash fest.
CoP has a few minor bugs, which is success for open world/nonlinear game.

Metro is linear in every way. Just another tipical shooter with 8h of gameplay. A demonstration of engine, DX11.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 07:37 AM   #127
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Stalker and this game are so different I have no idea why anyone would compare them.
True. If comparison would be made it would by with Bioshock.
Both linear shooters in small corridors with fancy graphics.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 07:41 AM   #128
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

No, I would compare it to HL2: Ep2, but with a better detailed graphics engine. Gameplay wise, I find both very very similar.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-10, 07:48 AM   #129
grey_1

I was simply replying to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient76 View Post
Old 03-19-10, 07:53 AM   #130
wysiwyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
True. If comparison would be made it would by with Bioshock.
Both linear shooters in small corridors with fancy graphics.
bioshocks UE3 graphics have nothing on Metros graphics
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 08:21 AM   #131
Hercules

No question about it. U3 engine is very inferior but it seems Metro engine does is not able to provide a wow factor graphics.
I mean Crysis uses a lot of power but it throws at our face what it was doing with it.
Metro can look great in some places but honestly i find Stalker light/shadow system more impressive.
I guess itīs the way that Metro creates the light system that is more advanced like the implementation of GI, in Stalker enabling it killed the performance and gave strange results.

Anyway until now i like it , but iīm not dazzled by it. Itīs just a decent game.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 08:55 AM   #132
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
No question about it. U3 engine is very inferior but it seems Metro engine does is not able to provide a wow factor graphics.
I mean Crysis uses a lot of power but it throws at our face what it was doing with it.
Metro can look great in some places but honestly i find Stalker light/shadow system more impressive.
I guess itīs the way that Metro creates the light system that is more advanced like the implementation of GI, in Stalker enabling it killed the performance and gave strange results.

Anyway until now i like it , but iīm not dazzled by it. Itīs just a decent game.
Agreed, and this is what I was actually comparing, not the game play. Just my opinion of course, I just think Metro's assets work much better as a whole to contribute to the overall atmosphere of the game.